Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times

Advertisements

Wind chill advisory just issued here too. Expected wind chill values of 10-15F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:05 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Went out for a walk.. temp was around 17-16 F. Went up to UNT and they got more snow than my immediate area, despite being really close. Anyway I love walking out in this cold. Seriously, 3 layers of jackets on and I'm good to go. I'm so much more built for life up north than down south, despite having never lived up north lol. Mid teens? Pssh. I don't know what y'all whining about

Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 PM

749 posts, read 419,019 times
Here in Aurora, ME, 7℉/-13.89℃, Dew Point 7℉/13.89℃. Winds North 4mph/ 6.47kph...
Awoke to a skiff of snow on everything! The small birds (Chickadees, Nuthatches and Sparrows), were early at the feeders this morning! The larger birds (Blue Jays, Mourning Doves and a Raven), came in later!
Amazed at all bird's voracious appetite for Suet! A Raven (who is mostly shy and has a friend who accompanies it), was seen on top of a Suet feeder eating as much suet as it could! So thankful I replaced the Suet Feeders! Spotted a Hairy Wood Pecker gobbling some suet too!
I call the birds, when we are home, after I've fed them - they've become accustomed to my call (which means FEAST-TIME with extra seeds and sometimes raw meat with fat)!
So, back to the weather....
Forecast for tomorrow morning, -2℉= -16.67℃, High 17℉/-8.3℃ - The truly coldest day (may be a few degrees less here), is forecast to be a high of 14℉/-10℃, with a low of -4℉/-20℃!
No noticeable precipitation this weekend, but it snowed last night and this morning - just a skiff!
Hoping and praying for snow instead of ice!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Went out for a walk.. temp was around 17-16 F. Went up to UNT and they got more snow than my immediate area, despite being really close. Anyway I love walking out in this cold. Seriously, 3 layers of jackets on and I'm good to go. I'm so much more built for life up north than down south, despite having never lived up north lol. Mid teens? Pssh. I don't know what y'all whining about
I don't know what you're talking about........but maybe that is because I am a southerner living as a transplant in a cold Midwestern climateI can walk around outside with relative ease in extreme heat(humid heat or dry heat, it doesn't really matter), and I can tolerate intense cold as well(just don't tolerate it as much as people who are true natives to the Midwestern United States), so yes, to a southern born person like myself, 15F is definitely not the most favorable weather for walks outside(I would need to be bundled up pretty good), in order to take lengthy walks outside in cold weather. On the other hand, I am fairly acclimated to the long hot summers that much of the Mid South and the Deep South regularly experiences(yep, this means long stretches of hot, hazy and humid days with balmy and sultry nights), and as a consequence at least I am less adept to cope with extreme cold air outbreaks(at least the kind that Indianapolis gets on at least a quasi regular basis),so I suppose the point I am trying to make is that some people are better equipped for cold climates and some are better equipped for mild/warm climates, clearly, I am one of those that is better equipped for warmer climates, but that is to be expected,after all, I was born in New Orleans,Louisiana

Old 01-06-2017, 10:55 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yall are lucky,I'm facing another zone busting winter. It should be oppostie; NYC dropping to single digits and Raleigh struggling to get below 15 not other way around.
Thank the geography of the US south. Raliegh actually has solid averages for the latitude, but the instability is just a disaster

Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 PM

29,535 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Getting back to Chicagoland by 9am today...

https://twitter.com/billyweather/sta...83656831254528

Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Thank the geography of the US south. Raliegh actually has solid averages for the latitude, but the instability is just a disaster
The U.S. South may lack stability in winter temperatures but at least the rest of the year is much more consistent in terms of temperature and precipitation, and God forbid That I mention the fact that the Midwestern United States has anything even remotely resembling a consistent or stable weather pattern, which is one of the reasons why someday I will be relocating back to the South, because believe me, no climate on earth is as unstable and prone to climate/weather extremes as the U.S. Heartland

Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Thing is we haven't been this unstable save for 14 and 15 and the year 2000. Every other year has been 8a or 8b.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Wow, 20F in Austin this morning. That's the coldest temp since .... 2011!

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KATT.html

-10F in Intl Falls this morning... a "warm" morning compared to previous few.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Wonder what the folks down south are saying about this cold. Feels like teens and 20s to the coast.

7amEST Wind Chill

Another look at the wind chills this morning Feels like Single digits for Texas and Northern Gulf states. This is F° btw. lol

Here are the temps. Freezing and below all the way to the coasts even Southern tip of Texas. (These aren't the lows so they could of gone a bit lower)

See that white shading for Florida? Wind Chill Advisories there. Freeze warning north of there

Current Advisories and Warnings - AerisWeather

Intellicast - Local Weather Forecast, Reports and Maps

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather