Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:45 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
In December 2010, we had snow most of the month despite averages higher than an average January in Sweden, so I presume an average January in southern Sweden would be cold enough for the snow to stock around most of the time.
Not that simple. A normal January curve in terms of average highs in Sweden often go like this:

-6, -1, 0, 3, 4, 1, -4, 0, 2, 2 = 0.8

The low curve usually goes like this then:

-13, -4, -4, -2, -2, -10, -3, -5, 0 = -4.3

Due to the high humidity and dry winters, it often ends up as weak wet snow. A + 4 day and -2 night then often means that the snow is vaporized. Therefore it's green in winter more often than not.

I can assure you that I only parked my sports cycle for training for two weeks last winter, in spite of that being a humid continental year...

And yeah, it may seem absurd. Personally I feel the climate is quite continental... but since summers are not exactly hot, but rather dull on most occasions with highs around 22-23 C in July it may be argued it lacks swings sufficient to be true continental. At the same time the low diurnal variations has to be taken into account. In south Sweden temperatures below -15 C are extremely uncommon. It usually dips to that once or twice every winter, but no more.

In my personal opinion + 2 C to -2 C is semi-continental regardless of whether it is oceanic or subtropical under Köppen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 05:52 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,531 times
0 is a good threshold. Anything less is just dumb. However, a non-rigid threshold is best. Oceanic should be defined more by a narrow annual range, with a clear maritime influence, not just any climate fitting a rigid temperature threshold. For example if consider Juneau to be oceanic but it's dumb to consider someplace like Warsaw oceanic.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
0 is a good threshold. Anything less is just dumb. However, a non-rigid threshold is best. Oceanic should be defined more by a narrow annual range, with a clear maritime influence, not just any climate fitting a rigid temperature threshold. For example if consider Juneau to be oceanic but it's dumb to consider someplace like Warsaw oceanic.
Warmest and coldest month within 14 C = strong maritime
Warmest and coldest month within 20/22 C = weak maritime

Like that?

Old 09-03-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Warmest and coldest month within 14 C = strong maritime
Warmest and coldest month within 20/22 C = weak maritime

Like that?
Is that going by mean or average high cuz 20/22 daily mean is almost "hot" summer by koppen. If it's a 21C daily mean, and a 1C winter, that's not oceanic.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Is that going by mean or average high cuz 20/22 daily mean is almost "hot" summer by koppen. If it's a 21C daily mean, and a 1C winter, that's not oceanic.
I don't know where your limits are?

Mine is oceanic if the climate ranges between 2-20 C for the warmest month and with the coolest month below 10 C.

Between + 2 C and -2 C it's semi-continental and below that is genuine continental.

In effect, if a climate is 16 C in July and 11 C in January (hello California coastline) I rate it as cool subtropical due to absence of cold.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:26 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Not that simple. A normal January curve in terms of average highs in Sweden often go like this:

-6, -1, 0, 3, 4, 1, -4, 0, 2, 2 = 0.8

The low curve usually goes like this then:

-13, -4, -4, -2, -2, -10, -3, -5, 0 = -4.3

Due to the high humidity and dry winters, it often ends up as weak wet snow. A + 4 day and -2 night then often means that the snow is vaporized. Therefore it's green in winter more often than not.

I can assure you that I only parked my sports cycle for training for two weeks last winter, in spite of that being a humid continental year...

And yeah, it may seem absurd. Personally I feel the climate is quite continental... but since summers are not exactly hot, but rather dull on most occasions with highs around 22-23 C in July it may be argued it lacks swings sufficient to be true continental. At the same time the low diurnal variations has to be taken into account. In south Sweden temperatures below -15 C are extremely uncommon. It usually dips to that once or twice every winter, but no more.

In my personal opinion + 2 C to -2 C is semi-continental regardless of whether it is oceanic or subtropical under Köppen.
Yes, well - that's what cold months are like here too. It's still enough for snow to stay on the ground for extended periods of time. The very weak sun and lack of sun in general is a big help as well.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:

Mine is oceanic if the climate ranges between 2-20 C for the warmest month and with the coolest month below 10 C.

Between + 2 C and -2 C it's semi-continental and below that is genuine continental.

In effect, if a climate is 16 C in July and 11 C in January (hello California coastline) I rate it as cool subtropical due to absence of cold.
To me, I have two different oceanic climates in my climate system.

A warm oceanic climate would be like Sydney, Sao Paolo, Eureka California, or Auckland

A cool oceanic climate would be Seattle, Portland, London, Berlin (just barely for Berlin)

Old 09-03-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:

11C/16C is oceanic. It only has a 5C annual range without hot summers and has a major oceanic influence. More influenced by an ocean than a low latitude.

I don't have a specific definition, but if consider 0 as a good divider between koppen's "D" and "C" groups, with some exceptions on either side. I'd also say 22C is a good divider for hot and warm summers. So I guess 0+ winters and 22+ summers is subtropical. 0+ winters and 22- summers I guess would be oceanic.

I think it would be better to look at climates in an individual basis and look for signs of ocean moderation: low annual range, low diurnal range, high rainfall, low(er) sunshine, clearly moderated winters, summers cooled by the ocean. I don't think you can get an accurate climate classification with rigid thresholds.

However, if I needed a rigid boundary, 0+ winter and 22- summer.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:39 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Most of inland Europe seems to be oceanic.

In Australia, an inland oceanic climate would be Canberra.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
11C/16C is oceanic. It only has a 5C annual range without hot summers and has a major oceanic influence. More influenced by an ocean than a low latitude.
I think Trewartha goes too far in that eight months have to be above 10C and Köppen is too narrow in that one month has to be above 22 C. If you look at Pamplona with a 21/5 pattern with seven months above 10 C and summer highs of 28 C in both July and August... I don't think that's an oceanic climate personally. I'd rather have it as a cool subtropical climate. Bilbao with 21/9 for me is even more subtropical.

But, between those cities Vitoria-Gasteiz (the capital of the Basque country) is a perfect oceanic climate with 19/5 between July and January and evenly precipitation. Elevation can bring a subtropical-ish coastline to an oceanic climate further inland at the higher level. So such transitional areas are tricky. I think lumping together say Tynemouth and Bilbao within the same category is problematic, and that's why I feel 22 is a bar a bit too high; provided seven months are above 10 C and the coldest month above 2 C I feel 20 C is more than adequate for a subtropical climate. And also let's say that it's an open debate whether a maritime subtropical climate would have to have a month above say 17 C or not? I'm open to that demand, only if climates 17-19.9 in the warmest month and above 10 C in the coldest are deemed subtropical.

In concrete terms it doesn't render much change. The only differences in Europe would be that Vigo, A Coruña, Bilbao, Bordeaux and Pamplona became subtropical.

Would you not agree that a 19/11 interval as in the case of A Coruña is not at least borderline subtropical if we take off the Köppen glasses?

However, as said above I'd say Vitoria-Gasteiz is one of the more remarkable proper oceanic inland climates in Europe. Not that far from the coastline, but considering its latitude and shelter from the ocean it's impressive. For me though it's important that oceanic climates do not have scorching summers, especially during the day. After all the maritime moderaration supposedly brings the diurnal temperature variation down to a healthier level than seen in Pamplona and Portland, OR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitoria-Gasteiz#Climate

Last edited by lommaren; 09-03-2016 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather