Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,659,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think most people on here aren't that young. I'm 29, so is Dean and I think B87. FlamingGaah is in his 30s, Rozenn in his late 20s, nei I think is 29 or 30, Joe90 is 53 (?), Cambium in his 40s at a guess, snj90/ilmc90 26 if 90 is their birth year, CG is 44, ben86 is 30, etc.

Maybe we should introduce him to kronan and see what happens.
nei will be 31 this nov, cambium 43 this dec cmiiw

Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,495,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
How about me?
Irritating nerdy guy with no friends who just follows people around asking annoying questions. No offense btw and I could be wrong.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:03 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
I guess I'd easily spend evenings with Ariete and Ksolina, and some other guys and gals too. The UK people seem depressive, the US people over-confident, and the asian people interesting. I always find it interesting to have so many different nationalities so it shows in what world we live in and how different people view the same things and somehow realize not everyone is the same yet can get along (sometimes).

I mostly post here and in the europe / world forums where I (used to) fight against blatant racism and misconceptions.

I sometimes post in the music forum but my posts get buried after 5 minutes so I never follow things like I do here.

I usually believe most people here are way older than they actually are because I used to follow another weather forum in France where posters are usually retired and it is often seen as an old folk's interest.

Yeah I like Baguettes but there's better in France and for cheese I am way more Italian than French. I am quite ignorant about wine in general, I only started drinking some a few years ago (I'm 36).

Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
I like baguettes too, but that wasn't what I meant. a Baguette is an ethnic "slur" we use for French people, usually in a friendly manner and not mean. It's like 'Frogs' and 'Rosbifs'.

Italians are 'Macaronis' and Norwegians 'Cods'.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:13 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,457,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
It's not just Finnish that's like that - Chinese, Japanese, Hungarian, Estonian, and several others are also genderless, and speakers of that language are doing just fine.
Japanese doesn't have a grammatical gender, but it has gendered third person pronouns: 彼/kare for 'he' and 彼女/kanojo for 'she'. Also, male and female speech in Japanese is pretty different, and its rules are quite complicated: for example, in regular speech the most common first-person pronoun is 僕/boku for males and 私/watashi for females, but the word 私/watashi is also used by both males and females in polite speech. Read more about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender...poken_Japanese
As for Chinese - it does have a separate characters for 'he' and 'she', but it was introduced relatively recently (in the early 20th century) under European influence and these words have never been different in spoken language. BTW, Chinese doesn't also have tenses, and number category there is optional (same for Japanese, but it does have two tenses).

Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
You can be both Jewish and Slavic, the two are not mutually exclusive
Well, I was speaking about "Slavic" as a meta-ethnicity: i.e., not an ethnicity itself but a collection of ethnic groups who speak Slavic languages. Thus, the distinction between ethnic and linguistic Slavdom is necessary.

Jewish ethnic identity is incompatible with any other. You can speak of, e.g., Russian Jews, or Polish Jews, etc., but these groups (whether they are a single Jewish ethnicity or separate ones) are distinguished from ethnic Russians & Poles, respectively. The only way to conceivably be both is if one is, e.g., descended from one Slavic & one Jewish parent. But Jews have their own methods of determining who is a Jew in that case: Jewish ethnicity is passed down matrilineally.

The way I approach it is if one were to be raised with Jewish traditions and in the Jewish religion, it would follow that their ethnicity is Jewish. But if, for example, one is like Yulia Tymoshenko, who had a mostly Jewish father who abandoned the family at an early age (and a Ukrainian mother who raised her), I would just see her ethnicity as Ukrainian because that's what she's likely to see herself as being.

Anyway, I am not saying one is intrinsically better than the other or anything, just different. Ethnicity I see as what you would put first before anything else and what you genuinely see yourself as being before anything else. It is possible, and desirable, for Jews in various European nation-states to have a harmonious relationship with the national ethnic majority. Jews may even be patriots of the host European country, just as any other ethnic minority can conceivably be, but this simply does not make them the same ethnic group as the majority.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Well, I was speaking about "Slavic" as a meta-ethnicity: i.e., not an ethnicity itself but a collection of ethnic groups who speak Slavic languages. Thus, the distinction between ethnic and linguistic Slavdom is necessary.

Jewish ethnic identity is incompatible with any other. You can speak of, e.g., Russian Jews, or Polish Jews, etc., but these groups (whether they are a single Jewish ethnicity or separate ones) are distinguished from ethnic Russians & Poles, respectively. The only way to conceivably be both is if one is, e.g., descended from one Slavic & one Jewish parent. But Jews have their own methods of determining who is a Jew in that case: Jewish ethnicity is passed down matrilineally.
Regardless of ethnicity, culturally Russian Jewish immigrants are quite a bit different than "American" Jews whose family have been in the country. In the NYC area, Russian Jews share a lot in common in habits and where they settle with Russian non-Jews.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
I'm not a vegan, or a vegetarian. I do like skinny jeans though. Who would wear anything else? Peasants, maybe.

When you have a derriere as fabulous as mine, you have to show it off all the time.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:58 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,305,260 times
I'm kind of surprised I've only been mentioned a few times, but as BBQ said, "neither here nor there".

Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,659,982 times
i'm not into most of modern music - don't call me a hipster though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.