Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Which is more likely to grow palm trees, Macquarie Islands or Toronto?
Toronto.

Neither could grow a palm for 12 months, but a palm could grow for a few months in Toronto's warmer half of the year, while Macquarie Island wouldn't see any growth.

Where is a better climate for citrus -Vigo or Motueka?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Toronto.

Neither could grow a palm for 12 months, but a palm could grow for a few months in Toronto's warmer half of the year, while Macquarie Island wouldn't see any growth.

Where is a better climate for citrus -Vigo or Motueka?
Tough one.

Vigo is a degree warmer and wetter, and Motueka is more sunnier and drier. Which is more important for citruses, sunshine or warmer temps?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Tough one.

Vigo is a degree warmer and wetter, and Motueka is more sunnier and drier. Which is more important for citruses, sunshine or warmer temps?
Vigo is 1.4C warmer over the year, although minimums are 3.1C warmer, and maximums 0.4C colder.

I'm thinking more sunshine and less rain during winter would give an advantage over warmer temps and more rain, as the latter would likely cause more blossom damage.

I don't really know though -can't find much online about citrus in Vigo or here.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Vigo is 1.4C warmer over the year, although minimums are 3.1C warmer, and maximums 0.4C colder.

I'm thinking more sunshine and less rain during winter would give an advantage over warmer temps and more rain, as the latter would likely cause more blossom damage.

I don't really know though -can't find much online about citrus in Vigo or here.
Yes. I agree with that.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:12 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
Melbourne City is still stuck at 21C, but my suburb is at 30C!

Suck it

Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

Suck it
Even Melbourne has such tremendous microclimates? I didn't know that.

I mean, I thought the difference between the CBD and inland temps would be something like 3-4C. Hm....

Old 12-22-2016, 08:09 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
Quote:

I mean, I thought the difference between the CBD and inland temps would be something like 3-4C. Hm....
Seabreezes can be pretty powerful down here sometimes, when they're in full force 10C differences aren't uncommon...

Right now:

Melbourne (Olympic Park): 22.6°C
Viewbank (25km NE): 32.5°C

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/observations/melbourne.shtml

Old 12-22-2016, 09:14 PM

16 posts, read 12,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

Suck it
The BOM's new polar troll station at work! First place to get seabreezes without fail and often is not representative of the majority of the inner urban area on days with seabreezes. I think they went out of their way to find the coldest possible location for the new official city station, despite their global warming agenda. A better location would've been Carlton Gardens or some other open park somewhere within a couple km NW/NE of the old station.

Quote:

it does on certain days. Hell there are microclimates between the town here and the airport station 10km away. The airport station is in a flat prairie with nothing anywhere whereas here there is the river, wetlands, floodplains, vegetation and built up area and the result is higher overnight lows and my dewpoints can be several degrees higher than the airport as the wetlands/river warm up. Some summer evenings out here feel like Abu Dhabi almost while the airport has dewpoints in the low single figures.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:07 PM

765 posts, read 574,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism40 View Post
The BOM's new polar troll station at work! First place to get seabreezes without fail and often is not representative of the majority of the inner urban area on days with seabreezes. I think they went out of their way to find the coldest possible location for the new official city station, despite their global warming agenda. A better location would've been Carlton Gardens or some other open park somewhere within a couple km NW/NE of the old station.
I suspect they went with somewhere that was least subject to any sort of UHI effect. The new site is almost completely surrounded by parkland on all sides.

I just hope they don't get rid of Observatory Hill, although I'm not sure why they would, it's been surrounded by roads and development for decades at least and probably for its entire history.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:45 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Haha am reading up on the South Pole's sun angles. It's amazing how it can be:

* Midnight sun on Mar 22 in spite of a 0.4 degree solar noon angle.
* Polar night on Mar 23 in spite of civil twilight until Apr 4 when the solar noon angle is -5.6 degrees (!)
* Midnight sun again on Sep 22 in spite of a 0.1 degree solar noon angle
* Now approaching the summer solstice it'll peak at 23.5 degrees sun angle, something 58N does something akin to 13 Oct!
* Rome and Chicago at 41 N have higher sun angles at winter solstice than the South Pole has at summer solstice!

Stunning planet this.
No exact daily "solar noon" in the poles. The actual "solar noon" is at summer solstice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather