Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

We're in the thick of it. Normally, I wouldn't whine about it, but a week ago, I took my kids out on their bikes to the park because it was in the 60's ...

Some photos:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
At least you had 60's F recently.

We haven't had a day at 60 F since probably before Halloween 2007.

We're looking that snowy here too:

30 inches in December and January,
45 inches in February,
15 inches so far in March (with at least another 15" on the way )

Looks like we'll be having a "White Easter" instead of a green or brown Easter.
(very unlikely anyone will do an Easter Egg Hunt )

BTW, when does spring usually arrive in southern Indiana?

Where I live, it is still winter on the "First Official Day of Spring", with spring coming in the last days of March, usually 27th or later.

Last edited by Jammie; 03-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 03-08-2008, 01:18 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Domer, those pics are so pretty. I actually like the pics of winter. I just don't like living in it.

You guys and Ohio and other areas are really getting plummeted with snow right now. It is not really wanted by a lot of people cause it should be time for spring weather.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM

I grew up in northern Indiana, so snow during the winter was normal. But here, you'd swear I'm in another state! There have been many times when it is 60+ degrees down here and up where I'm from, it's 30 degrees cooler. We usually get ice storms, which is new for me, but manageable because it usually warms up and everything is gone in a couple days. It's supposed to be back up in the 50's by next weekend, so we'll be back on the bikes again!

Usually spring comes in late March, so this is a last hurrah for old man winter.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I grew up in northern Indiana, so snow during the winter was normal. But here, you'd swear I'm in another state! There have been many times when it is 60+ degrees down here and up where I'm from, it's 30 degrees cooler. We usually get ice storms, which is new for me, but manageable because it usually warms up and everything is gone in a couple days. It's supposed to be back up in the 50's by next weekend, so we'll be back on the bikes again!

Usually spring comes in late March, so this is a last hurrah for old man winter.
Interesting...

When I say spring, for Toronto that means the days stay above freezing and most lows stay above freezing.
Basically any highs at 40+ F consistantly is spring.

Is that what spring means too in southern Indiana, most overnight lows are above freezing?

We do not get spring flowers before mid-April, usually.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Interesting...

When I say spring, for Toronto that means the days stay above freezing and most lows stay above freezing.
Basically any highs at 40+ F consistantly is spring.

Is that what spring means too in southern Indiana, most overnight lows are above freezing?

We do not get spring flowers before mid-April, usually.
My crocus, tulips and daffodils are all peeking out, but the minute it gets cold, they stop growing. The last week of December, it was in the 60's for a couple days too ... the foliage here just gets really confused. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the flowers will feel safe to bloom at some point!

Spring here means temps in the 50's & 60's with nights not going below 40 ... but again, the weather this winter has been so up and down .. the minute I say one thing, it will be 90 in April. The lack of consistency drives me crazy.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
My crocus, tulips and daffodils are all peeking out, but the minute it gets cold, they stop growing. The last week of December, it was in the 60's for a couple days too ... the foliage here just gets really confused. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the flowers will feel safe to bloom at some point!

Spring here means temps in the 50's & 60's with nights not going below 40 ... but again, the weather this winter has been so up and down .. the minute I say one thing, it will be 90 in April. The lack of consistency drives me crazy.
That's one "advantage" to living on the north side of a Great Lake;
all the warm fronts have to pass over all that cold water before they get to us,
so it can easily be 75 F in March in Cleveland but 35-55 F here.
However, I have seen 78 F in late March here, as well as 90 F in April.

We also get 50's and 60's F but typically that doesn't happen before late April.
That's the kind of weather when a lot of spring flowers start to bloom.
I'd call that "mid-spring" weather.

The start of spring is more about an end of winter than the start of the growing season here. Usually it's a time when the snow melts away and stays away.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
well I must say I'm glad you're getting the snow instead of me.. After over 125 inches of it since Dec I can't take anymore... Enjoy it while it lasts I'm sure you guys will be warm again in a few days and it will be all gone

Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
well I must say I'm glad you're getting the snow instead of me.. After over 125 inches of it since Dec I can't take anymore... Enjoy it while it lasts I'm sure you guys will be warm again in a few days and it will be all gone
I was confused for a bit, then I remembered you're talking to someone in southern Indiana.

Toronto's snow will not be gone in few days, or even a few weeks. I believe we will still have this snow on April Fool's Day since the snow at the end of my driveway is as high as my chin.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I was confused for a bit, then I remembered you're talking to someone in southern Indiana.

Toronto's snow will not be gone in few days, or even a few weeks. I believe we will still have this snow on April Fool's Day since the snow at the end of my driveway is as high as my chin.
I would never make it in Canada! Well, maybe Vancouver. We have no snow on the ground in Denver. The weekend before last we had sunny and 75 on Saturday, then snow Sunday, but only an inch that's gone now. We've had decent weather the past month and the days are getting warmer - 52 average for today. It seems like the Midwest has really been cold the past month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather