Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you rate your climate?
A 18 22.78%
B 20 25.32%
C 22 27.85%
D 12 15.19%
E 4 5.06%
F 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:15 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It so much depends on what you're used to as well. In colder climates people lack the routine of drinking tons of water when it's hot outside because normally that's not needed. Then again most people in your climate will have an AC unit and therefore eliminate the heat while indoors when it's 32C whereas apartments in colder countries are designed to keep as much heat in as possible
My summers are about 7C cooler than where I am now, but I am only drinking about the same amount of water here as I do back home ( about six litres), even on the 40C+ days. There does seem to be some sort of levelling out effect, but I'm not really sure how to define it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
^^ Thing is, our low temps in mid summer are recorded just after sunrise at about 4:45am.. by 7am when people wake up for work it will often be a few degrees above the low temperature.
5C at home last night, but when I was talking to one of the kids on the phone just before, they said it was warm this morning - people aren't generally aware of the minimums during summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 02:25 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,657,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Personally, I have never really understood the obsession with heat. A lot of people seem to want heat for heat's sake. I mean, I like occasional hot days for interest but I would hate to have 30-32C every day with 21-22C lows. Yuck.

I think highs of 27C and lows of 17C are much more pleasant.

One thing summer is particularly good for here is outdoor activities. Since it is rarely hot, and the sun is never exceptionally strong, you can do a lot of stuff even in the middle of the day without worrying about getting too hot or getting sunburn. On summer weekends, there are always loads of people going for bike rides, or running, or walking. It's a novel idea to some but there is more to summer than going to be beach or swimming.
Obsession? Or simply cold intolerant. Lately 20-22C room feels rather chiily to me for example.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My summers are about 7C cooler than where I am now, but I am only drinking about the same amount of water here as I do back home ( about six litres), even on the 40C+ days. There does seem to be some sort of levelling out effect, but I'm not really sure how to define it.
In winter here one does fine with 2 litres That's one advantage with this climate. That said I felt a little thirsty so just took a 4 dl swipe!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
At one time I rated my climate A. That is why I moved here. Relatively mild year round and predictable. I chose to rate it C today because it is so unpredictable any more. Within a few days recently we set a niew high temp and low temp record.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Six liters of water is really a lot, regardless of the temperature! It is more than the double of the amount of water we are recommended to drink in here!

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/p...-kill-you.html
^ it seems like the revenge of the "Dihydrogen monoxide hoax", but it is actually a serious source (it only sounds stupid because of the "science for all" style).

Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
C

We're in the Midwest so we have hot humid summers and very cold winters with lake effect snow. Spring and fall are the best, but we can also get tornados.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbyzero0 View Post
Obsession? Or simply cold intolerant. Lately 20-22C room feels rather chiily to me for example.
I don't let my apartment go below 24°C, so I don't think you're crazy, then again thanks to owning dogs, I don't let it go above 24°C either

Old 02-15-2017, 10:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Six liters of water is really a lot, regardless of the temperature! It is more than the double of the amount of water we are recommended to drink in here!

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/p...-kill-you.html
^ it seems like the revenge of the "Dihydrogen monoxide hoax", but it is actually a serious source (it only sounds stupid because of the "science for all" style).
It depends on the situation- my work is very strenous, so six litres is about right.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Even though some of us from warmer climes may laugh when we hear about Poms being overcome when the temperature reaches *only* 32 degrees or so; having lived in London myself in the mid 90s, I know that those temperatures can feel very stifling in London and feel much hotter than they might back in Australia.
I remember last year when we had a heatwave to to take it to about 35C, and a news headline was suggesting that perhaps people who work in office should be allowed to go home when it hits those temperatures. Inevitable an Aussie popped up and called us a bunch a softcocks

So I did point out that out buildings are heavily insulated and rarely have air conditioning. I knew that humidity has an effect, but I don't really understand it much, I'm going to have to read up on it.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It so much depends on what you're used to as well.
That's true, bodies acclimatize. 10C in November feels a hell of a lot colder than 10C in March.

I imagine someone from Doha, for example, would find 30C to be fairly mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather