Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 PM

50 posts, read 68,972 times

Advertisements

Winter: C. Some days can be extremely cold, but is usually reasonable (highs of -3C or warmer)
Spring: B. Usually pleasant, but proximity to Lake Ontario can make it slow to warm up. I enjoy the wild temperature swings though, they keep the weather interesting.
Summer: C+. Feels like it's either very hot and humid (like 2016), or comfortable but unsettled with too many thunderstorms (like 2014). 2018 saw both types of stretches of weather at different times of the season.
Autumn: B+. Starts out as an A+ in September with gorgeous dry and comfortable weather but ends off with a C on a perpetually gloomy note in Nov/Dec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 11:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Weather season ratings for Fort Worth and Indianapolis

Fort Worth Texas winter seasons: B-/C+. Generally mild and with many days with comfortable temperatures, all but the harshest winter seasons are more or less doable, this is especially true when being compared to northern climates which get a true and distinct winter season

Indianapolis Indiana winter seasons: F+\D-. Generally too cold for my tastes and not enough snow/ice/rain, all but the tamest of winter seasons are unpleasantly chilly if not downright frigid, and don’t even get me started on the coldest winter seasons in Indianapolis, those winter seasons are truly unlivable(2013/2014 comes to mind)IMO

Fort Worth Texas spring seasons: B-/B+ Severe weather events aside, this season is perhaps one of the most underrated seasons in the DFW metroplex; this along with the landscape blooming and greening up and coming back to life most likely makes this season quite the “Eye-Candy” if you will, the only negative about this season would apply to those who have allergies(I don’t have em’ though so it’s all good)

Indianapolis Indiana spring seasons: C-/C+ other than being an extension of the winter season some years, this season definitely has its merits for being a welcome change from those frigid and snow and ice filled winter days, the green up of grasses and the blooming of trees and shrubs make this season a treat for all those who don’t have allergies and adds a distinctive contrast to the dull shades of brown and gray that dominate the dormant season, the only true negatives for this season here are the lack of stable/Consistent temperatures and the prospect of severe weather events.

Fort Worth Texas Summer seasons: C+/C-, this season I will admit, is not my favorite season in Fort Worth Texas, however, heat and drought aside, the consistently high temperatures and moderate to high levels of humidity makes this season prime time for hanging out at the pool or water park, the drought like nadir isn’t as consistent as some people make them out to be, nevertheless this is the second “Dry” Season in this part of Texas.

Indianapolis Indiana summer seasons: B-/C+, this is about as good a grade as Indianapolis would ever get in regards to the weather patterns IMO, This season is probably about as stable/consistent as it gets and even then, extended spells of high heat and humidity are rare, mainly due to the fact that Canadian cold fronts usually don’t allow the high heat and oppressive humidity levels to persist more than a few days at a time, some summers can be drought like due to the lack of widespread convective activity, but other than that issue, this is without a doubt one of my favorite seasons in Indianapolis.

Fort Worth Texas Fall Seasons: C+; With the worst of the heat of summer fading away, this season is a definite go to as far as outdoor activities are concerned, many days are still warm or even hot, but rarely excessively so, Fall in Fort Worth Texas could be loosely compared to a typical summer day in Indianapolis; the only true negative I see is the potential impact of tropical weather from the Gulf of Mexico.

Indianapolis Indiana Fall Seasons: C-, the Only thing I genuinely enjoy about the fall season in Indianapolis is the fall foliage, and even then, those fall colors are a fleeting reminder of the bitter cold and treacherous driving conditions that are to come for winter, perhaps I could sympathize with the Hoosiers who hate the heat and humidity of summer, but aside from that, having roots in the South, I am far more resilient to heat and humidity than I am to extreme cold.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,417 times
Winter:
Record High: 18.1°C on 23/2/90
Mean Maximum: 13.5°C
Avg high: 7.8°C
Mean: 4.6°C
Avg low: 1.3°C
Mean Minimum: -6.4°C
Record Low: -22.0°C on 12/12/81
Rain: 144.9 mm
Rain days: 30.8
Humidity: 84.5%
Sunshine: 174.5 hrs (21.7% of max pos)

F. Usually dull and cold with a wet start but with the driest time of the year towards the end. Occasionally some exceptionally cold temperatures can be recorded, such as -19.6°C on this day in 2010. Conversely, some exceptionally warm temperatures can be recorded, such as 15.9°C on this day in 2015. In December 2015, the warmest winter month yet recorded, I can recall sitting outside eating my breakfast in the sunshine. Or in February 1998 when nearby Worcester reported a delightful 20°C with sunshine. Or we can have deep snow such as that of 2010-11 when 18 cm was recorded. Otherwise it is usually very boring weather.

Spring:
Record high: 28.4°C on 31/5/03
Mean Maximum: 22.3°C
Avg high: 13.8°C
Mean: 9.3°C
Avg low: 4.6°C
Mean Minimum: -4.1°C
Record low: -9.4°C 9/3/86
Rain: 139.9 mm
Rain days: 27.9
Humidity: 76.3%
Sunshine: 461.4 hrs (35.8% of max pos)

A. Usually sunny and chilly with a dry start but becoming wetter towards the end. Occasionally some exceptionally hot weather can be recorded, such as 26.3°C on 7/5/18. But also exceptionally cold weather, such as a high of -2.3°C on 1/3/18. March is a dull and chilly month, but April is sunny and mild and May has many delightful days.

Summer:
Record High: 35.6°C on 3/8/90
Mean Maximum: 29.8°C
Avg high: 21.5°C
Mean: 16.4°C
Avg low: 11.3°C
Mean Minimum: 4.1°C
Record Low: -1.0°C on 2/6/91
Rain: 155.7 mm
Rain days: 24.8
Humidity: 74.2%
Sunshine: 590.9 hrs (41.1% of max pos)

A. Summer is usually sunny and warm with many delightful days. It usually is moderately wet through the summer. Snow is exceptionally rare in summer, but on 2 June 1975 snow was recorded, followed by 28°C just 5 days later. Occasionally some exceptionally cold temperatures can be recorded, such as 2.7°C on 31/7/15. Conversely, some exceptionally hot temperatures can be recorded, such as 33.4°C on 19/7/16 or 33.8°C exactly 10 years earlier.

Autumn:
Record High: 28.8°C on 4/9/05
Mean Maximum: 24.1°C
Avg high: 14.7°C
Mean: 10.8°C
Avg low: 6.8°C
Mean Minimum: -3.3°C
Record Low: -10.5°C on 28/11/10
Rain: 168.9 mm
Rain days: 30.7
Humidity: 82.1%
Sunshine: 310.1 hrs (31.2% of max pos)

F. Autumn is usually mild and dull. It is the wettest season of the year, but winter has more rain days. It can occasionally be exceptionally hot, such as on 1/10/11 when 28.4°C was recorded. This was also remarkably the highest temperature of the year. It can also be exceptionally cold, such as on 31/10/18 when -4.4°C was recorded. This date has also had some notably high temperatures, such as 31/10/14 when 22.2°C was recorded.

The entire year is an E.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Fall: A -. We have nice fall colors until early November and the weather doesn't get too cool until then. November does get cold by Thanksgiving. No snow, just dreary days. I like the beginning of the month, hate the end of it. Its like March in reverse.
Winter: B- Its rarely ungodly cold( sub zero) for long and hardly ever down to minus 10 or below. There are ups and downs with some warm days and then back to just cold days. Snow doesn't show up until January usually and then goes into March. Winter does hang on for longer than I'd like. March is my least favorite month. Cold, windy, you want Spring but its still Winter.
Spring: B- Spring gets here late and doesn't get going until early April. Even then the trees don't green until late April.
Summer: A Summer here is pretty nice. We don't get the oppressive heat until August and even then real heat waves are just in the 90s, not 100 usually. We get dry spells and rainy spells, June and July awesome and September stays summer like until the end of the month and then early October is mild and pleasant.
This is in SE Pa. I give the region extra points based on lack of weather related disasters like tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, blizzards.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:40 PM

113 posts, read 77,842 times
Winter: B, decent rain, mild temperatures, enough sunshine

Spring: A+, decent rain, comfortable temperatures, a lot of sunshine

Summer: A-, too dry, a bit too warm, great amounts of sunshine

Fall: B-, too dry, nice temperatures, decent sunshine, crazy high diurnal range

Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 PM

381 posts, read 248,226 times
Portland, OR area.

Winter: D+, oceanic drizzlefest but temperatures are not extreme, pleasant days with sun do happen, and there are one or two snow events every year to add variety. Low sunshine hours with a measly 23% in December, 28% in November, 30% in January, and 40% in February.

Spring: My favorite season of the year. B+, comfortable temperatures going from 57ºF/14ºC avg highs in March to 73ºF/23ºC avg highs in June. Decent sun hours with 52% in March, 54% in April, 60% in May, and 63% in June. Weather can be quite variable - this April, we got an 86ºF/30ºC day and then 57ºF/14ºC the day after. There is enough variety with sporadic rain events - when it is overcast, it's not gloomy like in winter because of longer daylight hours and higher cloud level.

Summer: B, great sunshine hours with consistently warm temperatures around 82ºF/28ºC. The 58ºF/15ºC average lows look cold on paper, but it cools down slowly and is usually still warm by 11PM or so. Misses the A ranking because of valley-effect heat waves driving temperatures above 95ºF/35ºC for days at a time and wildfire smoke. 70% sun in July, 68% in August, and 63% in September. Rainy days are rather rare.

Fall: B-, pleasant but very short with temperatures dropping quickly. Parts of September and November are fall, but in October, the average high is 63ºF/17ºC but is warmer at the start of the month and cooler at the end of the month. October average sunshine is about 45%.

Overall a B-/B climate.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:22 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Very interesting stuff up here. Want to see more.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:45 AM

93 posts, read 55,988 times
For Rome, IT:

Winter: C, lots of sunny days compared to NW Europe but can be cloudy, with few freezes. My least favorite season.
Spring: B-, Mild, but can be cool in March and April, and becoming warm, dry and sunny in May.
Summer: A, reliably warm, dry and sunny with the potential for heat waves. My favorite season. Personally I would like hotter summers.
Fall: C, starts off dry and summery in early September, becoming cooler and wetter after the second half of September, and is mild in October and November, but there can be annoying rainy stretches.

Overall rating: B

Old 12-12-2019, 05:17 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Spring: A- Nice and long with a gradual warm up. Plenty of storms and rain but followed by beautiful sunny conditions. It rarely stays overcast. Downside is we can get cold blasts (like this upcoming week). Warmth isn't certain until late April and into May.

Summer: B+ Can get hot and humid but it's generally not that bad compared to other places in the south. Usually a solid 3 months of true summer which is just the right length. Little drier in June but a lot of non severe pop up thunderstorms in July and into August.

Fall: A Lovely season with warm/mild temps and driest weather of the year. September usually brings in much drier air and slightly cooler temps but can still be considered very warm. I can get by with not needing a jacket even for mornings until the end of the month. October is near perfect. November is usually mild though it can't get chilly as we start to get our first few cold snaps.

Winter: B- (sometimes a solid C) Lot of cloudy skies but seems to be less than what I get in Pennsylvania. Not a fan of cold temperatures but our generally aren't that bad and the clear sunny skies we get can be enough to offset the temps. I like that we don't get snow/ice that often. It can be a treat when we do finally get some snow and it's gone within days. A week later we might hit 70. It's never cold for extended periods it seems like.

Overall: B+/A- I really like the climate overall. I would prefer warmer winters that aren't as variable.
Did this 2.5 years ago for Atlanta. I'd keep the same scores. Maybe upgrade Summer to A-. It's really not that hot.

Lived in Houston for 1.5 years and Dallas for this year. Figure I'll throw those in.

Houston
Spring: A, maybe even A+. Winters aren't that cold to begin with so there's a nice long period with very comfortable temperatures and fairly low humidity. But Spring ends during May.

Summer: B-. Too freaking hot and humid and lasts way too long. But at least it's a real summer.

Fall: B+. Sometimes summer bleeds too much into fall so you end up with a short fall but temps are usually really nice.

Winter: A. I really miss Houston winters. You only get a handful of nights below freezing. Only a handful of days with highs in the 40s. Even the 50s aren't that common. Loads of 60s and 70s.

Overall, B+. Summers are truly brutal. Fall might be too short. Beautiful otherwise.

Dallas
Spring: A- Crazy temp swings. High tornado/hail risk. Not boring that's for sure. Temps are usually nice but more susceptible to late freezes.

Summer: B . Also too freaking hot and more humid than people give it credit for. Not quite as long as Houston's summer (though this year was a long one). Constant winds actually did have a slight cooling effect even with lows in the upper 70s. If it were drier, it would be a B+.

Fall: B . What fall? It was a very quick transition this year but otherwise nice.

Winter: B+ . Wild temp swings means we can get some pretty cold mornings (definitely colder than Houston) but then also get up to 80. In contrast to Houston, southerly winds outside of summer feature dew points around 60 instead of near 70. Averages are chilly, but not that bad.

Overall: B+. Hot summer, too short of a fall. Larger temp swings than Atlanta or Houston. But really not bad.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:07 PM

895 posts, read 602,946 times
Spring: C, too cool, but sunnier and more variable than fall. The warm spells in spring are great.

Summer: D+, too cool and too dry with almost no thunderstorms

Fall: C-, too cool, similar to spring but wetter, cloudier, and more stable with a sharper change in temperature across the season.

Winter: C, somewhat too cold, too cloudy, too many rainy days, days too short, but perhaps the closest to ideal out of all the seasons as it does provide cool weather without getting really cold. Low wind is an advantage.

Overall: C-. All seasons are rather mediocre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather