Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best climate?
Spain 67 55.37%
California 54 44.63%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:42 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been done before, I'd be amazed if it hasn't.

It seems as though these south western corners of the US and Europe are often viewed as the best areas in their continents in terms of climate, and both are indeed very similar.

But which takes the crown?

Spain

California

Ideally judge each area based in their entirety, rather than specific climates.

Last edited by Razza94; 04-26-2017 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 04:47 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
Without Portugal, the Iberian peninsula doesn't stand a chance. All truly great peninsular climates except maybe one or two are found in Portugal, be it Lisbon, Aveiro or Porto.

California therefore wins by default for having Santa Barbara, Salinas and San Diego: none of which are matched anywhere in Spain save for Tarifa, which is a small microclimate on the southern periphery of the country if someone's missed it. Berkeley, Oakland, Santa Cruz, Huntington Beach, Malibu, Santa Monica, Carson, Mountain View, Hayward, Marin City, Vallejo, Richmond, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo... plenty of wonderful climates on the Californian coast.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:50 PM

I think this should be close, although Spain may win by a landslide if Junter decides to make 100 new accounts

Old 04-26-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I think this should be close, although Spain may win by a landslide if Junter decides to make 100 new accounts
El Junter = Matador de la climatología

Last edited by lommaren; 04-26-2017 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Without Portugal, the Iberian peninsula doesn't stand a chance. All truly great peninsular climates except maybe one or two are found in Portugal, be it Lisbon, Aveiro or Porto.

California therefore wins by default for having Santa Barbara, Salinas and San Diego: none of which are matched anywhere in Spain save for Tarifa, which is a small microclimate on the southern periphery of the country if someone's missed it. Berkeley, Oakland, Santa Cruz, Huntington Beach, Malibu, Santa Monica, Carson, Mountain View, Hayward, Marin City, Vallejo, Richmond, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo... plenty of wonderful climates on the Californian coast.
I think the island climates, overall livability, and slightly more variation relative to its size, may tip it in Spain's favour. California has advantages in terms of sun angle, and having generally better winters and more sunshine. I'm genuinely interested to see how this goes.

Had I included Portugal, I think California would almost certainly lose.

Last edited by Razza94; 04-26-2017 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 05:15 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Quote:
I don't know if this has been done before, I'd be amazed if it hasn't.

It seems as though these south western corners of the US and Europe are often viewed as the best areas in their continents in terms of climate, and both are indeed very similar.

But which takes the crown?

Spain

California
Razza, that map of Spain is pretty bad and it's user made.

Can you please put the map of AEMET?

And just mainland Spain or the whole Spain with the Canary islands? In this case is cruel to compare California to Spain because just the Canary Islands beat anything out of Cali!

Quote:

What? The best Iberian climates are on the south coast of Andalucia.

Porto is crappy near Málaga, although I guess it goes about preferences...

The greatest Iberian climates are from Valencia all the way to Algarve, in Portugal just Faro stands a chance...

Old 04-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post

And just mainland Spain or the whole Spain with the Canary islands? In this case is cruel to compare California to Spain because just the Canary Islands beat anything out of Cali!
Mainland Spain. It's like including Hawaii in California if not

Wonder who voted for Spain btw?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post

Link the map you want me to use before the editing time frame runs out. I've put up an AEMET map, but it's tiny. And using the Canary Islands for Spain would be like using Gibraltar for the UK, I think it's a bit of a stretch.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
This is a tough one. I'm only really going for California because it has more rain in its mediterranean climates.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Quote:
Mainland Spain. It's like including Hawaii in California if not

Wonder who voted for Spain btw?
Hawaii doesn't belong to California...

Quote:
Link the map you want me to use before the editing time frame runs out. And using the Canary Islands for Spain would be like using Gibraltar for the UK, I think it's a bit of a stretch.
Ok, here you go

Btw California doesn't have a single chance, what about Oceanic or Continental (Pyrenees) landscapes??

The majority of California are shurblands, although the north is green, it's Mediterranean Csb forest, nothing to do with a Galician or Basque landscape... without counting that the mountains of California haven't got any chance with the Pyrenees.

Lommaren, you voted California because your dream climate is mild/warm in the summer and mild in the winter, but you didn't take account of the huge differences in the landscape and also for the people who like more continental climates, Cali has nothing to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
This is a tough one. I'm only really going for California because it has more rain in its mediterranean climates.
Spain has got Oceanic climates ...

sources: http://www.campingsdeasturias.es/es/asturias/ http://www.wuking.com/asturias/

source for all of the photos: http://www.casonasasturianas.com/blog/

This is not a Mediterranean Spanish vs California battle. This is an entire Spain vs California battle. California doesn't stand a single chance... Many of it's territory is arid and the greener is Csb...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather