Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate: A-F
A 3 7.14%
B 5 11.90%
C 17 40.48%
D 6 14.29%
E 9 21.43%
F 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
Auckland has the same sunshine as Christchurch.
Depends on the Auckland site. There's no evidence to suggest that even the sunnier Auckland sites match exceed Christchurch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 02:55 AM

269 posts, read 199,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Depends on the Auckland site. There's no evidence to suggest that even the sunnier Auckland sites match exceed Christchurch.
Well the stats on the wiki page are taken from the airport which is on the cloudier side of the city and there is sun stats from Albany which do record higher totals, and using that them would exceed Christchurch values

Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Why does every UK climate generate so many pages? You can bet if this was in the northern half of France or the Benelux, with an identical climate would get maybe 5-6 pages max.
maybe more British posters on here than Belgian/French - or those that have an interest in the UK climate

(half of NZ and the USA by the look of it

Old 07-27-2017, 01:05 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
are you literally kidding me? Haven't you heard of seasonal changes in daylight hours and also maybe because most of the world doesn't have the most depressing, cloudy 1 hour of sunlight a day winters!
It gets more than 1 hour of sunshine a day in the winter. Those totals are pretty normal for a location above 50th parallel north. I'm not saying it has sunny winters, its just really quite stupid that 'abundant sunshine' is defined as a percentage of daylight hours. So If a location just above the arctic circle gets 100 % of average sunshine, and that is just 3 hours in the whole month, that's abundant is it? Whereas, in the summer if it gets 12 hours of sun a day somehow that's not abundant because its only 50% of daylight hours!

The definition of 'abundant sunshine' should be a set amount in hours, and should not vary depending on the season or daylight hours. So my abundant is 5 hours a day, in which case I completely agree sunshine is poor in the winter and not abundant year -round. But it IS abundant in the summer.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,371,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
It gets more than 1 hour of sunshine a day in the winter. Those totals are pretty normal for a location above 50th parallel north. I'm not saying it has sunny winters, its just really quite stupid that 'abundant sunshine' is defined as a percentage of daylight hours. So If a location just above the arctic circle gets 100 % of average sunshine, and that is just 3 hours in the whole month, that's abundant is it? Whereas, in the summer if it gets 12 hours of sun a day somehow that's not abundant because its only 50% of daylight hours!

The definition of 'abundant sunshine' should be a set amount in hours, and should not vary depending on the season or daylight hours. So my abundant is 5 hours a day, in which case I completely agree sunshine is poor in the winter and not abundant year -round. But it IS abundant in the summer.
I think we had this argument about Scandinavian sun totals in summer with such long days - i think the gist of the argument was that if it's sunny for long periods in a 20 hour day up there ,you will possibly miss a fair bit of sunshine sleeping . whether you like it or not .

Old 07-27-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
I think we had this argument about Scandinavian sun totals in summer with such long days - i think the gist of the argument was that if it's sunny for long periods in a 20 hour day up there ,you will possibly miss a fair bit of sunshine sleeping . whether you like it or not .
Lol. If I lived in Scandanavia I would sleep when it was cloudy and be awake during the sunshine hours

Old 07-27-2017, 01:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Lol. If I lived in Scandanavia I would sleep when it was cloudy and be awake during the sunshine hours
Then you would probably spend as much, or more, time sleeping, as sunshine isn't abundant there during summer.

What high latitude places have in summer, is abundant daylight -abundant sunshine only comes with high percentages.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Then you would probably spend as much, or more, time sleeping, as sunshine isn't abundant there during summer.

What high latitude places have in summer, is abundant daylight -abundant sunshine only comes with high percentages.
How many hours of sun a day is abundant then?

Old 07-27-2017, 01:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
How many hours of sun a day is abundant then?
I would say 50%+ of possible sunshine.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I would say 50%+ of possible sunshine.
Still in the percentages? Still don't see how highly ludicrous it is that sunshine is defined in % possible rather than actual hours. It means Los Angeles, with 64% (275.8 hours) of average sunshine, it is abundant, but Rovaniemi, with around 35% (279 hours) is not abundant. In additon to it having more sunshine hours, it also has more daylight, which should only serve to improve its reputation, not hamper it. It's LUDICROUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather