Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 02:46 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I prefer central Germany and Poland at those latitudes. They're a bit warmer in summer and get colder and snowier winters. And they're a bit sunnier than London.
London is sunnier than Warsaw. Portsmouth is sunnier than anywhere in Germany, and probably Poland too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 05:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
I think the summer temperatures in San Diego are good for their latitude if you are a cool lover. Also the winter highs are mild. Are there any other 30 degrees latitude climates with 20-25C summer highs? I don't think so.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:21 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think the summer temperatures in San Diego are good for their latitude if you are a cool lover. Also the winter highs are mild. Are there any other 30 degrees latitude climates with 20-25C summer highs? I don't think so.
Yes a number of them... here are two that have cool summers for their latitude:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ser..._Chile#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walvis_Bay#Climate

Old 04-03-2021, 04:17 PM

58 posts, read 35,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Seattle and Portland have nice mild winters for their latitude. With Eureka and San Francisco, that statement is true for summers too and upgrades to warm winters.

Although the middle part of the Sahara is typical for its latitude, the southern third is nice and dry and northern third both dry and warm for their latitudes. Heck, the northernmost point of Africa is further north than anywhere in Arizona, New Mexico or Oklahoma!

Either or both statements can be applied to most of Europe, depending on where you are.

China's humid subtropical zone would probably be nicer than North America's, as it has drier (so probably sunnier too) winters and is less prone to volatile cold snaps.

Pretty much anywhere in the temperate and subtropical Southern Hemisphere would be nice compared to non-African/European climates in the Northern Hemisphere at that latitude, and in some cases (e.g. Auckland, Melbourne, Perth) far nicer than even their African/European equivalents.

I must also say, even Death Valley (the hottest place in the world) would probably be pretty livable thanks to low humidity, as long as you were really, REALLY careful in any non-winter month. It's so low, far west and intensely rain-shadowed that it's probably nicer than most upper subtropical latitude climates.
I laugh at the obsession with “cold snaps”.

Most people care about average and median conditions, not extremes.

In China’s subtropical zones, cold snaps from Siberia still dump snow and cold temps in winter. It’s a region that also features colder temperatures on average, with much colder mean maximums than the subtropical regions of the US sees in winter.

Ergo, the US’s subtropical climate is much more preferable.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:08 PM

585 posts, read 245,375 times
Turku, Finland has a relatively mild climate for such a far north location. Compared to the same areas in Canada for example at 60N and above and the contrast is huge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turku#Climate

Old 04-03-2021, 05:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Not Texas.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:24 PM

6,747 posts, read 6,733,588 times
I live in the East Bay, just one degree of latitude south of where I lived in DC, and summers are far less humid, no bugs, you can get beach days in February, and every kind of tree imaginable grows here.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Not Texas.
In your opinion lol

Old 04-03-2021, 07:19 PM

860 posts, read 698,573 times
Genoa has milder winters than Atlanta, despite being the same latitude at Burlington VT.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:26 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
In your opinion lol
I don't mind living in Texas, but I wouldn't call its climate good for its latitude. Houston weather would be perfect for me if the springs and falls were the same, and winters were 5 degrees warmer and summer's were 5 degrees cooler, and we had a solid USDA Zone 9b or even 10a without this ridiculous artic nonsense where 8b palms get fried!

That Houston would have a "good" climate for its latitude. What I described seems similar to Orlando/Cape Canaveral. Its latitude isn't all that different from Houston southern suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather