Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:19 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
There was an interesting news article that just surfaced about how the Southeastern United States is actually getting colder during the winter and spring, and that such a trend began about the late 1950’s, this warming hole has been found to expand into the Midwest during the warm season aka summer, not sure if this trend will continue, although the news article implies that the cooling trend will continue for the South during the winter and spring and the Midwest during summer. This makes sense, as a general rule the Midwest has NOT been getting the far more scorching summers that have been advertised by these GIGO AGW computer models
Well FL has sure warmed up since 1990. Every winter has been warm minus 96-96 and 2010. Within many of you peeps lifetime you will see FL as warm with 80's- 90's year round and very little rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 07:34 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
...This makes sense, as a general rule the Midwest has NOT been getting the far more scorching summers that have been advertised by these GIGO AGW computer models
As AGW continues to worsen, we are seeing a pattern of a hot North pole (it's only -4 C there today, in February) and a weak jet stream that literally allows cold air to fall off of the arctic, like a hernia. The jet stream derives its energy from the difference between the cold Arctic air and the warm moderate air from the south. Heat up the north pole, shrink the polar ice, and the jet stream weakens.

When the weak jet stream encounters the Rockies, a relatively consistent pattern emerges where there is persistent high pressure over the west coast, tending towards droughts. It swings north and then dips down over the midwest, drawing cold air southward, cold air that was pushed off of the north pole by the warm high pressure there.

If anything, there are signs that the weather is getting worse than what the models say.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
Quote:
There was an interesting news article that just surfaced about how the Southeastern United States is actually getting colder during the winter and spring, and that such a trend began about the late 1950’s, this warming hole has been found to expand into the Midwest during the warm season aka summer, not sure if this trend will continue, although the news article implies that the cooling trend will continue for the South during the winter and spring and the Midwest during summer. This makes sense, as a general rule the Midwest has NOT been getting the far more scorching summers that have been advertised by these GIGO AGW computer models
But looking at the temperature trends for some areas, the cooling stopped in the 1980s, and it has since warmed somewhat again, but non necessarily to the levels of warmth in the 1920s-early 1950s.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
But looking at the temperature trends for some areas, the cooling stopped in the 1980s, and it has since warmed somewhat again, but non necessarily to the levels of warmth in the 1920s-early 1950s.
There must have been a warm period before i was born in the 50's as Tampa had full grown coconut palms that were all killed in 1962 when it got to 18f that Dec. I have only kept records since the late 70's and never keep track of temps before my time.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Here is a great site for those truly interested in learning about Climate Change as well as the tactics used by climate deniers.

Skeptical Science

Global Warming and Climate Change Myths

This site offers and enormous amount of information and resources. I highly recommend looking around this site if you are truly interested in understanding the data.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:30 PM

Gonna really change big time over the next 5 bil years dears.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:31 PM

308 posts, read 225,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
hope that the warming continues. I want hotter summers. Summers here in the Great Lakes are cool enough, I don't want them to be even cooler

Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,134 times
How much more warming? Personally, I have no idea.
Some of that will depend on where you live. Polar regions in both hemispheres will warm up way faster than regions closer to the equator. We are already seeing this in places like Barrow, Alaska whose annual average temperature is nearly 3 (F) warmer since 2010 than it was between 1960 and 1989. In my hometown, Corvallis Oregon, the annual temperature has warmed up about half a degree.
Coastal regions are not as likely to warm up as fast because the oceans provide a pretty good heat sink, but there is some warming even here. Annette Island in Alaska, right on the water has heated up about .8 degrees since 1960.
Urban centers and other populated areas becoming urban centers will heat up faster than rural areas. Phoenix, AZ has heated up nearly 3 degrees since 1960...And...has had a 10X population increase.
People who are more knowledgeable than I postulate a global increase of between 1.5 and 9 degrees of warming averaged over the entire planet by the year 2100. I don't think we'll see 9 degrees but I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same or slightly greater increase in average temperatures over the next 80 years than we have seen in the previous 140 years since we've seriously tracked this stuff.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:08 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Climate hasn't changed much, in way of warming temps, for most of the US but it will eventually.

When a winter goes 14 degrees above normal for the entire season, as it did in Utqiagvik (Barrow), AK this year then people will take notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather