Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
We hate snow. We hate cold. And mostly, it's bad for my husband's health.

What do we consider cold? Anything less than 35 degrees.

Having heat is not that big a deal. We've lived through some pretty hot times in California (and no, we aren't moving back to that side of the country...it HAS to be NC). We've had some Santa Ana winds that could literally take your breath away with hotness. But there was never any really measurable humidity.

We want to see less severe cold and more year-round warmth.

When I say cities, I guess I should clarify more. We don't care if it's a hamlet, village, town or city. As long as we can get the right climate, good medical care, groceries, and as much fishing in unpolluted water as we can get. We're homebodies (except for the fishing part) and don't care about entertainment, festivals, museums, and places we'd have to schlep around to see. This is not because we're not educated or love culture it's because of physical handicaps.

So, what about the Hickory Nut Gorge area and all the towns directly south of it. Is what I read untrue? That this is the only actual area in the Piedmont that has the shortest, milder winters and longer Spring and Fall seasons?
If you require average lows in winter above 35 degrees, no town in the Mountain or the Piedmont region meets that requirement that I know of. Now, you're talking southeastern NC, primarly around Wilmington-Southport. Average low in January in that area is around 36 degrees.

http://dotw-xfer01.dot.state.nc.us/i.../brunswick.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 04:50 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
We hate snow. We hate cold. And mostly, it's bad for my husband's health.

What do we consider cold? Anything less than 35 degrees.

Having heat is not that big a deal. We've lived through some pretty hot times in California (and no, we aren't moving back to that side of the country...it HAS to be NC). We've had some Santa Ana winds that could literally take your breath away with hotness. But there was never any really measurable humidity.

We want to see less severe cold and more year-round warmth.

When I say cities, I guess I should clarify more. We don't care if it's a hamlet, village, town or city. As long as we can get the right climate, good medical care, groceries, and as much fishing in unpolluted water as we can get. We're homebodies (except for the fishing part) and don't care about entertainment, festivals, museums, and places we'd have to schlep around to see. This is not because we're not educated or love culture it's because of physical handicaps.

So, what about the Hickory Nut Gorge area and all the towns directly south of it. Is what I read untrue? That this is the only actual area in the Piedmont that has the shortest, milder winters and longer Spring and Fall seasons?
You definitely don't want to live in western NC then.

Greensboro averages 87 nights below 32 F, Raleigh 77 and Wilmington probably somewhere between 25-45.

The only place with the longest springs and falls probably also have the most severe winters.

According to the joke, NC has all the 4-seasons: "Almost Summer", "Summer", "Still Summer" and "Christmas."

If you want the warmest and driest weather in NC, I recommend the Sandhills.
They're located in south central NC about 50-70 miles east of Charlotte.

Remember, when they say summers last a long time, it's not like a Florida, Texas or even Alabama summer. Unlike many places in the Deep South, few places in NC average more than 80 F in May... Probably 83 F would be the highest May average, while places like southern MS, FL and Texas average 85-87 F. Also unlike the Deep South, most places in NC average low 80's F in September while places near the Gulf will average high 80's and perhaps low 90's in Texas.

Raleigh and Charlotte are BARELY into the zone where you will practically never see daytime highs below 35 F.

*So at least in Raleigh or Charlotte you could expect a few hours that aren't too bad, just about every day in winter.

That being said, again, check out "the Sandhills." It's a very popular area for golf.

Coastal NC is nice too.
Milder of course, but the closer you are the harder you can get blasted by hurricanes.

As far as warm and mugginess goes, there is probably very little difference between northeastern and southeastern NC as far as intensity. There isn't even a dramatic difference between the eastern Piedmont. Southeastern NC has just enough humidity to be noticeable compared to Raleigh but it's not exactly night-and-day.

Take that same arbitrary heat wave I was talking about:

98 F in Raleigh, 50% humidity...
In the Sandhills, it will probably be 100-103 F with 40-45% humidity.
Less than 20 miles of the southeastern coast, 95-98 F with 55-60% humidity.

The heat index is probably only 5 degrees F hotter in the southeast than Raleigh, usually.

But winters are a lot milder in southeastern NC.

The mildest place in NC is probably between Calabash and Southport/Bald Head Island.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I know nothing of Hickory Nut Gorge, sorry.

But I do know that the Sandhills are "noted" for their drier air.
As far as temperatures go, their weather seems to be similar for the overnight lows as Raleigh or Charlotte,
but daytime highs are a bit higher usually.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I know nothing of Hickory Nut Gorge, sorry.
The Hickory Nut Gorge area is basically Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, Bat Cave and Gerton, NC.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:03 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
The western part of the state has ideal summer weather, but if you want a "warm" climate you are better off sticking closer to the Atlantic Ocean. All of those areas near the Atlantic are capable of supporting Windmill Palms.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:50 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I like the climate in the Waynesville/Maggie Valley area, cold in winter, mild in summer.
Oh YES!!!! That is my favorite place in North Carolina!!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh YES!!!! That is my favorite place in North Carolina!!
mine too!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
I think you'll find a climate closest to what you're looking for in the Isothermal Belt near Rutherfordton. Do a google search to get a good sense of what area it encompasses and what the actual climate figures look like. Even there, however, I know you'll have some days that are well below 35F. In general, everywhere in NC has a climate of very comfortable averages yet remarkably miserable extremes... (i.e. - on paper it looks good but its going to feel a lot different in person).

Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 AM

305 posts, read 1,808,859 times
Thank you all very much.

I've got Rutherfordton on my radar already. I have investigated the Isothermal Belt area and it appears that this may be the answer.

I wasn't really looking for the "perfect" weather - because I know that's not possible. I was, however, looking for climate areas that, should the weather be below 35 degrees or higher than 100 degrees and humid, that the length of time is not going to be weeks or months at a time.

While it's been suggested to move closer to the southern tier, the coastal region, and some of the intercoastal, the level of humidity recorded in those areas is too much for my husband to handle health-wise.

I am tracking 15 cities and towns in NC. And I will be checking the climate changes for these areas on my own for at least the next 12 months (we're moving June 2009).

Then maybe I can make a decision.

Again, thanks everyone.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Tryon, NC is probably the warmest mountain town.

I compared it to Durham (beside Raleigh) and it's daytime highs are all slightly warmer year-round in Tryon, however the summers are the same for peak daytime highs.

Nighttime lows in Tryon are also warmer in winter, the same in spring and fall and believe it or not, lower than Durham in summer.

I compared Tryon to Rutherfordton.
Daytime averages are a little warmer in Tryon, nights average a few degrees warmer.
The hottest record high was in Rutherfordton however at 107 F, Tryon 105 F.
Coldest record is unfortunately in Tryon, at -24 F set in 1957,
but you might never live to see that kind of cold.
Rutherfordton has only recorded -8 F as a record low.

Rockingham (near or in the Sandhills) has slightly hotter summers and warmer falls compared to Tryon.
Rockingham's winter lows are a bit lower than Tryon's, days only slightly warmer.
Rockingham's record low is -6 F, so a little better than anywhere in the mountains.

*How much humidity is too much?
Do you know a particular dewpoint that is uncomfortable for your husband?

The dewpoint is what measures how much volume of water's in the air,
so it can tell you how thick or thin the air feels from moisture.

If high humidity is a problem for breathing, you probably won't like the coastal areas.
In August, to me the air always has a sort of "creamy" feeling to it which I, myself enjoy.
Usually the dewpoint is in the low 70's F or high 60's F when I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather