Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times

Advertisements

Inspired by these comments, and I know places in the world with the largest variation has also been discussed here as a topic.

Does anyone know what climate has the absolute smallest difference between day and night, and through the year (I know any number of equatorial places, especially on oceanic islands can have temps varying 5C or less in a day, and around 2C in a year, but is there a world record for smallest difference?).

Also related would be the highest and lowest temps ever recorded, if there is data for it and anyone knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Equatorial islands are tough to beat in this respect. Kiribati is probably one of the leading contenders. Mean temps are the same every month of the year and the diurnal range is about 5 C. The difference between the record high and low is only about 14 C in many places in Kiribati: Extreme Temperatures Around the World- world highest lowest temperatures

There's probably a place in the world with even lower variation but you'd be hard-pressed to find it. It would probably be another equatorial island, but it could also be an equatorial highland climate with near-constant cloud cover.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Equatorial islands are tough to beat in this respect. Kiribati is probably one of the leading contenders. Mean temps are the same every month of the year and the diurnal range is about 5 C. The difference between the record high and low is only about 14 C in many places in Kiribati: Extreme Temperatures Around the World- world highest lowest temperatures

There's probably a place in the world with even lower variation but you'd be hard-pressed to find it. It would probably be another equatorial island, but it could also be an equatorial highland climate with near-constant cloud cover.
I was thinking along similar lines, especially highland equatorial climates, eg Kigali Rwanda, which is 1500 metres or 5000 feet above sea level on the equator:
Climate information for KIGALI in Rwanda - Climate Zone
A shame Rwanda is known the wrong reasons, note minimum and mean temperatures hardly vary at all.
I can recall reading General Romeo Dallaire's biography (Canadian UN peacekeeper during the Rwandan genocide) who was surprised by how even and temperate the climate was, for a place on the equator.
Places like Bogota or Quito in South America are similar, but colder.

Last edited by Derek40; 12-28-2010 at 01:44 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 01:52 AM

148 posts, read 323,204 times
How about Norfolk Island?

The highest *ever* recorded is 28C, the lowest 6C

Norfolk Island

Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
In winter, Buxton has bugger-all temperature variation, probably due to its incessant cloud cover and very weak solar radiation. The average max and min for December are usually within 3-4°C of each other. But it clearly won't win in the annual sense, believe it or not it does get a bit warmer in summer than it is in December (in a good year).

Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Among large cities, probably Singapore. 24.8 - 31.6 °C in May, 23.4 - 29.9 °C in December, record low 19 and high 36.
I'm there right now, temperature hit 32°C today What a relief from the cold, snowy, dark, gloomy, foggy, grey conditions of northern France !

Old 12-29-2010, 04:30 PM

437 posts, read 1,299,890 times
Singapore, Seychelles, Maldives, lowland New Guinea and Indonesia

Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Among large cities, probably Singapore. 24.8 - 31.6 °C in May, 23.4 - 29.9 °C in December, record low 19 and high 36.
I'm there right now, temperature hit 32°C today What a relief from the cold, snowy, dark, gloomy, foggy, grey conditions of northern France !
Singapore is like a paradise to me... summer every day of the year

Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
I wonder if most of the population in equatorial places like Singapore would bother to check weather forecasts much, other than for rainfall, as each day should just seem the next. There shouldn't be much wind either, right?

It's weird for me to think that there are parts of the word where you would hardly need worry about how to dress before going outside. With a record low like 19C, you'd never feel cold if that's the room temperature you prefer!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I wonder if most of the population in equatorial places like Singapore would bother to check weather forecasts much, other than for rainfall, as each day should just seem the next. There shouldn't be much wind either, right?

It's weird for me to think that there are parts of the word where you would hardly need worry about how to dress before going outside. With a record low like 19C, you'd never feel cold if that's the room temperature you prefer!
I'm sure this isn't true but I heard a joke somewhere that the weather forecast in Singapore is actually just a recording that they replay over and over again.... 32C with a chance of showers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather