Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many continents have A grade climate(s) in your opinion?
0 1 2.33%
1 2 4.65%
2 5 11.63%
3 11 25.58%
4 2 4.65%
5 11 25.58%
6 10 23.26%
7 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 AM
tij

453 posts, read 337,508 times

Advertisements

I was just about to suggest Davenport for you, but when I found it had less snow than Chicago, decided against it.... You should still try looking in Korea (and if you are okay with more moderate records but more insistent on snow, Japan)- although Korea has less of a souirce of dry heat compared to the US... so still less extreme heat records You could also try glancing in Northern inland South Korea (perhaps Southern North Korea as well?)...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
I like Rockford, Illinois...

Iowa City, Iowa is good too.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:23 AM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
Much of Southern Africa also has a winter dry season... maybe the highland climates near cape town might not, but that is a big problem for people who prefer adequate winter rain in a Cfb temperature profile...
Unfortunately for this sort of climate there aren't really any suitable high plateaus in the Western Cape. There are mountains up to 2,249 metres (7,379 feet) at Matroosberg in the Hex River Mountains and 2,325 m (7,628 ft) at Seweweekspoortpiek in the Swartberg but there are no high altitude towns or farmland that I know of. So if this climate did exist it would be limited very much to a narrow band of mountainside or mountaintops.

In the valley below Matroosberg, De Doorns is a little more continental than Cape Town so on the mountainsides above you might find a more suitable climate.

Some other candidates are Grabouw which is cooler in winter but also on the cool side in summer and Franschhoek which is a bit warmer.

Fairly near Barkly West there is Steynsburg which has quite a good temperature pattern I think, but is semi-arid.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 AM
tij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Unfortunately for this sort of climate there aren't really any suitable high plateaus in the Western Cape. There are mountains up to 2,249 metres (7,379 feet) at Matroosberg in the Hex River Mountains and 2,325 m (7,628 ft) at Seweweekspoortpiek in the Swartberg but there are no high altitude towns or farmland that I know of. So if this climate did exist it would be limited very much to a narrow band of mountainside or mountaintops.

In the valley below Matroosberg, De Doorns is a little more continental than Cape Town so on the mountainsides above you might find a more suitable climate.

Some other candidates are Grabouw which is cooler in winter but also on the cool side in summer and Franschhoek which is a bit warmer.

Fairly near Barkly West there is Steynsburg which has quite a good temperature pattern I think, but is semi-arid.
Thank you so much! Summer looks quite good in Grabouw, but winter is a bit too mild for me... It definitely looks like one of the better climates in Sub-Saharan Africa, and I would rate it a solid B, definitely better than Jo'burg due to the reversed precip pattern! If winters were a bit cooler, it could even be a B+ and/or A-... It's unfortunate that Steynsburg is too dry, as I imagine that some more precip may also reduce the diurnal range, which I find a bit high..

Do you have any idea of the highland climates near George and Port Elizabeth? I'm seeing Cfb on the Köppen maps... I think a cooler and wetter version of Port Elizabeth would be quite good for my climate tastes (which I imagine are a bit cooler and wetter than yours), actually.

Is Climate-Data actually a reputable source? Where does this data come from? It has many locations for sure, but I am not sure if the data is reliable....

Old 01-19-2019, 06:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
North America, Asia, Antarctica.

That's 3.

Europe has some decent climates like Oulu, Ufa, Longyearbyen, Kazan, Karasjok, ... but those are only A- (not cold enough) and are on the fringes of the continent.

So 4 if you count those A- climates in Europe.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:35 PM
tij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
North America, Asia, Antarctica.

That's 3.

Europe has some decent climates like Oulu, Ufa, Longyearbyen, Kazan, Karasjok, ... but those are only A- (not cold enough) and are on the fringes of the continent.

So 4 if you count those A- climates in Europe.
Is Vorkuta an A for you? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkuta#Climate... it is technically still in Europe...

Old 01-19-2019, 09:02 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
North America: A lot of A climates in the Great Lakes area/Snow Belt area. Eastern Canada also has plenty of A-rated climates and Alaska has some notable climates. Plenty of Dfb/Dfc/Dfa climates around these areas!

Europe: Has a decent amount of A climates, particularly in the northern parts of Norway, Sweden and Finland. The UK climates are a bit on the quiet/mild side but overall are not bad.

Asia: Has the crazy rainy & snowy climate of Asahikawa which rates an A in my book

South America: No "A" climates here but I do find the variety of climates fascinating. Ushuaia is an interesting subpolar climate.

Australia: Some A climates such as Orange, Hobart and other interesting squally/stormy areas.

Africa: No "A" climates but the mountains in Lesotho might be okay since they stay pretty chilly year round...

Antarctica: Can't think of an A-rated climate here either but Bellinghausen Station would be interesting to spend a season at.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 AM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! Summer looks quite good in Grabouw, but winter is a bit too mild for me... It definitely looks like one of the better climates in Sub-Saharan Africa, and I would rate it a solid B, definitely better than Jo'burg due to the reversed precip pattern! If winters were a bit cooler, it could even be a B+ and/or A-... It's unfortunate that Steynsburg is too dry, as I imagine that some more precip may also reduce the diurnal range, which I find a bit high..

Do you have any idea of the highland climates near George and Port Elizabeth? I'm seeing Cfb on the Köppen maps... I think a cooler and wetter version of Port Elizabeth would be quite good for my climate tastes (which I imagine are a bit cooler and wetter than yours), actually.

Is Climate-Data actually a reputable source? Where does this data come from? It has many locations for sure, but I am not sure if the data is reliable....
I think George and Port Elizabeth have the same problem as Cape Town in trying to find warm summer - cool winter climates that there are mountains inland but nowhere really habitable. I expect that to get a cool winter, you'd have to go high enough that the summer would be quite cool too. Actually South Africa's highest temperature was meant to be set north of Port Elizabeth in the Sundays River valley at 50 C. Not at a high altitude though.

While it doesn't get that cool in winter the slightly lower temperatures away from the coast do result in quite a different feeling from Cape Town etc. There are a lot more deciduous trees that have leaves that change colour in autumn and fall off in winter and orchards of apple and pear trees that flower in the late winter or early spring, so to me it does have a more northern hemisphere feel.

See Ceres in autumn and the area in August on Google street view

Old 01-20-2019, 03:35 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Is Vorkuta an A for you? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkuta#Climate... it is technically still in Europe...

Yes, with 165" of snow and one month having mean of -20c or lower it is an A.

When the 1991-2020 climate normals come out it might become an A-.

It's definitely on the very fringes of Europe though.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:39 PM
tij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Yes, with 165" of snow and one month having mean of -20c or lower it is an A.

When the 1991-2020 climate normals come out it might become an A-.

It's definitely on the very fringes of Europe though.
Yay! Lol... it would be more of a D for me....

What cities have winter averages below -20c? Yakutsk? Harbin/Winnipeg/Irkutsk don't quite make it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather