Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one(s) do you prefer?
Virginia Beach 5 15.63%
Knoxville 6 18.75%
Oklahoma City 3 9.38%
St. George 0 0%
Medford 3 9.38%
Wilmington 4 12.50%
Memphis 2 6.25%
Dallas 2 6.25%
Las Vegas 3 9.38%
Sacramento 5 15.63%
Miami 12 37.50%
Brownsville 2 6.25%
Yuma 5 15.63%
Avalon 5 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 11:42 AM

1,056 posts, read 727,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Brownsville does not freeze "a few times a year". Past twenty years, Brownsville saw a freeze <50% of winters and only 25% in the 28-30F range.
Loud and clear for you now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
12] Brownsville:
--Almost tropical. Seasonal temperature changes noticeable but small. Solidly Sun Belt; even the UV index reaches 12. Freezes a few times a year at most.
--Major con: HURRICANES!
But it's still not as close to being a frost-free climate as Yuma is. I thought it at least got freezes more often than Phoenix (which got no freezes 2/3 of the past 20 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 12:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:

But it's still not as close to being a frost-free climate as Yuma is. I thought it at least got freezes more often than Phoenix (which got no freezes 2/3 of the past 20 years).
Have to correct you, we do not even drop to 0°C most years. We had a freeze this year, but it was the first one since 2015. The only other years since I've lived here that got to freezing or lower were 07,11 and 13 (I've lived here since 2001)

Old 12-22-2019, 05:23 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
Quote:

If you really want to split hairs, Brownsville and Phoenix (Sky Harbor) are even with regards to frequency of freezes in the past 20 years. Not sure how "near equal chances of not receiving a freeze in a given winter" translates to "freezes a few times a winter at most"

Brownsville avg temps from Nov-Mar run 3-4F warmer than Yuma and 5-7F warmer than Phoenix, so it's also a warmer climate overall. (yes there are coconut palms)

Old 12-22-2019, 05:29 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,542,658 times
This thread also lacks representation of a "lower" subtropical climate that is not verging on tropical. Also happens to contain many large southern cities like Houston, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Charleston etc.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times
Since you couldn't think up of a con for Sacramento, let me help you:

1. Sacramento can be very rainy during the winter. So while that average winter low of 40 degrees in Sacramento seems mild, it actually feels colder because it's a damp, windy 40 degrees.

2. Sacramento almost never sees any rain during the summer. On average, it might drizzle for one day for the entire summer, and that's it.

3. In some years, smoke from major wildfires will blanket Sacramento for several days. Some years it doesn't happen at all.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:58 AM

1,056 posts, read 727,281 times
Please, back to the ratings. I don't want this thread to get closed and didn't mean for it to get off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
1. Sacramento can be very rainy during the winter. So while that average winter low of 40 degrees in Sacramento seems mild, it actually feels colder because it's a damp, windy 40 degrees.

2. Sacramento almost never sees any rain during the summer. On average, it might drizzle for one day for the entire summer, and that's it.

3. In some years, smoke from major wildfires will blanket Sacramento for several days. Some years it doesn't happen at all.
40s at night is very different than 40s during the day.

Multiple of the other places see little rain year-round, and Avalon doesn't see much summer rain either. I listed the year-round arid places as having "few bodies of water."

Wildfires are bound to be a problem in Avalon and the arid cities too. In fact, Miami gets a lot of winter and spring brush fires, and I wouldn't be surprised if Brownsville does too and OKC in summer/autumn.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:54 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times
Quote:
Please, back to the ratings. I don't want this thread to get closed and didn't mean for it to get off-topic.

40s at night is very different than 40s during the day.

Multiple of the other places see little rain year-round, and Avalon doesn't see much summer rain either. I listed the year-round arid places as having "few bodies of water."

Wildfires are bound to be a problem in Avalon and the arid cities too. In fact, Miami gets a lot of winter and spring brush fires, and I wouldn't be surprised if Brownsville does too and OKC in summer/autumn.
Sacramento may have winter highs that average around 55, but that's an average. There are days where the winter highs are in the high 60s. There are days when the highs are in the 40s, with wind and rain.

Yeah, Avalon has zero summer rain, as does basically anywhere else in California. That's why I don't like California summers.

Miami may have brush fires, but they are nothing compared to the scale of California wildfires. The fact is, most wildfires in the U.S. occur in the American West, not the Southeast or Northeast. Think about it--Miami's dry season is at least in the cool season, the winter, and they do have some rain in the winter. California's dry season is the hot season, summer/early autumn, and they have zero rain during that period.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:45 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,356,584 times
Knoxville is my favorite and least favorite Yuma.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:32 PM

30 posts, read 18,369 times
No Yuma average is on par with Naples. Yearly Avg 75.38. Brownsville Avg 74.45

Old 01-09-2020, 05:38 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Knoxville is my favorite and least favorite Yuma.
Ditto

I'm into much colder climates but as far as subtropicals go, Knoxville is one of more pleasant ones since it is cooler and the heat doesn't last quite as long. Yuma is just plain hell on earth for me because I hate sun and heat and Yuma has both of those in abundance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather