Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better climate for civilization
Cfa (Humid Subtropical; no dry season) 4 44.44%
Cwa (Humid subtropical; summer monsoon, dry winter) 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 AM

55 posts, read 71,069 times

Advertisements

Both have the hot and wet summers that encourage plant growth and the winters that are not cold but cool enough to suppress mosquito/insect/pest activity. But would it be a blessing or a burden for there to be a decent amount of rain in the winter or none in the winter?

Based on world history, very long lasting civilizations thrived in both climates. Two of the main superpowers of the ancient world were China and India. Combined, these two regions probably housed half to maybe even 2/3 of the world population in ancient times.

Most of China is humid subtropical and the Northeast region of india (which has historically been (and still is to this day), the most populous part of India BY FAR) is humid subtropical.
The part that won't leave my mind however, is that which one is better. It may seem that the Subtropical Monsoon is better since a good chunk of the earliest chinese and indian civilizations were centered around their respective Cwa regions, and not the Cfa regions in Southern China. Many of their ancient capitals are in Cwa regions as well. Also, the most populous region of china is the Northeast Cwa/Dwa regions, not Southern China.

The problem is that to me, Cfa is pretty much perfect. No threat of drought, hot wet summers which means lots of food can be grown, no threat of a shortage of water or food if the monsoon is weak in that year, or late.

Te be fair, it might be the hilariously low sunshine hours of Southern China that makes the relatively sunnier North more enticing. or the constant threat of typhoons in the south. Maybe someone here can give me some more insight on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 02:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,664 times
Cwa

Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 AM

895 posts, read 603,148 times
The northern region of China directly south of Beijing is the most populous when looking at a population density map, but when you count each province as I did here, southern China has slightly more people. Guangdong, the Sichuan Basin, and the Yangtze River Delta easily add a lot of people to southern China's population. Even though the Chinese civilization started around the Yellow River, it has expanded to control Southern China for over 2000 years.

In general, I would say Cwa is more beneficial because the summer gets more rain than North American Cfa climates while the lack of winter rain might suppress diseases somewhat. Cwa climates in China allows the most reliable rains of the year to be aligned with the growing season. And even the Cfa regions in southern China have a clear summer peak in precipitation.

Northern China mostly grows wheat while southern China mostly grows rice. Rice has a much higher calorie output per acre of land than wheat. Also, southern China can grow double-crop rice, which is cultivating two crops in the same land in the same season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricu...tural_1986.jpg

As with India, the northern part could be more heavily populated due to the suppression of tropical diseases in Cwa climates compared to Am/Aw climates, again showing the benefits of Cwa climates.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,869,608 times
CWA for me.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:47 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
I just realized this, most of subtropical china and Japan is classified as Cfa, I always thought of them as having a dry season in winter, I guess the winters are not dry enough.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 PM

524 posts, read 484,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
The northern region of China directly south of Beijing is the most populous when looking at a population density map, but when you count each province as I did here, southern China has slightly more people. Guangdong, the Sichuan Basin, and the Yangtze River Delta easily add a lot of people to southern China's population. Even though the Chinese civilization started around the Yellow River, it has expanded to control Southern China for over 2000 years.

In general, I would say Cwa is more beneficial because the summer gets more rain than North American Cfa climates while the lack of winter rain might suppress diseases somewhat. Cwa climates in China allows the most reliable rains of the year to be aligned with the growing season. And even the Cfa regions in southern China have a clear summer peak in precipitation.

Northern China mostly grows wheat while southern China mostly grows rice. Rice has a much higher calorie output per acre of land than wheat. Also, southern China can grow double-crop rice, which is cultivating two crops in the same land in the same season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricu...tural_1986.jpg

As with India, the northern part could be more heavily populated due to the suppression of tropical diseases in Cwa climates compared to Am/Aw climates, again showing the benefits of Cwa climates.
I think a more relevant factor in north-south population differences is geography. Northern China and Northern India are mostly flat, low-lying plains intersected by big rivers. The southern parts of both countries are divided into several smaller regions by mountain ranges and high plateaus.

I doubt the dryness of Northern Indian winters (which actually aren't that dry in areas that have western disturbances) makes its climate less disease-prone, considering how much hotter the rest of the year is in South Asia than in subtropical East Asia. Generally, higher temperatures = higher (potential) pathogen load.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMCC View Post
Also, the most populous region of china is the Northeast Cwa/Dwa regions, not Southern China.
Pearl River Delta? 120+ million people

Old 02-21-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
I think a more relevant factor in north-south population differences is geography. Northern China and Northern India are mostly flat, low-lying plains intersected by big rivers. The southern parts of both countries are divided into several smaller regions by mountain ranges and high plateaus.

I doubt the dryness of Northern Indian winters (which actually aren't that dry in areas that have western disturbances) makes its climate less disease-prone, considering how much hotter the rest of the year is in South Asia than in subtropical East Asia. Generally, higher temperatures = higher (potential) pathogen load.
So if the North China plain was in the Southeast Corner of China instead of Northeast it wouldve been even better for agriculture since there wouldve been a lower chance of drought and the growth season wouldve been longer due to warmer temps.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialMCC View Post
So if the North China plain was in the Southeast Corner of China instead of Northeast it wouldve been even better for agriculture since there wouldve been a lower chance of drought and the growth season wouldve been longer due to warmer temps.
(continued..) obviously gonna leave out the typhoon threat for idealization purposes.

It just seems that the best farm land in both China and India just so happen to be in the cwa zones out of just coincidence. The cwa is friendly enough to sustain a massive population in pre modern/ancient times but if the best farm land was in the cfa then it would have been almost perfect

-Less threat of major drought and wildfires
-Longer growing season due to more precip
-Fertile, flat land
-Warm most of the year
-Very Mild to even warm winters with plentiful rain throughout

The population would absolutely skyrocket in this region

Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Pearl River Delta? 120+ million people
Im talking about a whole section of china. The North China Plain has hundreds of millions and its population density clearly stands out in the map of China at large.

https://2lb4vx3gjsgyta38l3gyugsz-wpe...hina-india.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather