Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 03:19 AM

3,191 posts, read 1,280,763 times

Advertisements

Göle had the coldest low in Turkey today with -0.2°C.

Provincial capital of Ardahan had a low of +2.4°C

Lows in Ardahan Province today:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 07:13 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
31°F in blighty last night. I wonder where abouts in the USA could still get nights this cold in mid-May.

Are you serious/oblivious? Out of the 15 mornings so far in May, 10 have been 31F or colder and there are many climates colder than mine.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:17 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Are you serious/oblivious? Out of the 15 mornings so far in May, 10 have been 31F or colder and there are many climates colder than mine.

1) It was actually 24°f in England that night on double-checking
2) I was asking a question to find something out so not sure what you mean am I serious/oblivious. I don't live there so I don't know as much about the climate as someone who does, so we don't need the attitude. I was asking, from curiosity, about what extent of the USA that happens and somebody already provided the answer.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:22 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
2) I was asking a question to find something out so not sure what you mean am I serious/oblivious. I don't live there so I don't know as much about the climate as someone who does, so we don't need the attitude. I was asking, from curiosity, about what extent of the USA that happens and somebody already provided the answer.
The US is bigger than Europe by land so there are always places that are cold and hot at the same time any time of the year.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
The US is bigger than Europe by land so there are always places that are cold and hot at the same time any time of the year.

Oh absolutely. That's why I was interested about which parts of the USA still regularly get into the mid-20's°F in mid-May. It is interesting to me from a climatological perspective.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 05-15-2020 at 07:44 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 09:18 AM

592 posts, read 461,515 times
Quote:
Oh absolutely. That's why I was interested about which parts of the USA still regularly get into the mid-20's°F in mid-May. It is interesting to me from a climatological perspective.
About 300 miles or so due west of Philadelphia is Mount Davis, the highest point in Pennsylvania at a little over 3,000 feet. Last Saturday May 9, they recorded a high of just 32F and a low of 20F! Pretty much on par with average temperatures in January for that area - Pretty dang impressive for May in the Eastern US at 40N

Old 05-15-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
About 300 miles or so due west of Philadelphia is Mount Davis, the highest point in Pennsylvania at a little over 3,000 feet. Last Saturday May 9, they recorded a high of just 32F and a low of 20F! Pretty much on par with average temperatures in January for that area - Pretty dang impressive for May in the Eastern US at 40N

I live an hour from Mount Davis. The trees there are still nearly BARE. Here's a picture from about 2900' in Somerset County last weekend while I was fishing

Old 05-15-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Well considering we have Tundra and Subarctic climates in the lower 48, yes there are many locations that have temperatures in the 20sF even in July (Rocky Mountains, Mount Washington NH, Mount Katahdin, Maine).

This was last Friday an hour northeast of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (where I live)

Old 05-15-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Well considering we have Tundra and Subarctic climates in the lower 48, yes there are many locations that have temperatures in the 20sF even in July (Rocky Mountains, Mount Washington NH, Mount Katahdin, Maine).

This was last Friday an hour northeast of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (where I live)

Yeah I should have been more specific and asked about areas at similar elevations to the English places I mentioned which are about 100-300m ASL as of course places that are high up will have subarctic climes, like we do here on the highest mountains (though our mountains aren't exactly tall).

Nice photo, I used to live in a place (20 miles west of here) that had snow in May a few times, but Sheffield is more or less never going to see it that late. My old home town even had snow in June 1975, which cancelled some sporting events. That place is at 300m (1,000ft) ASL. I suppose that would be a good question to ask, which areas of the USA have had disruptive snow in the month of June at 1,000ft AMSL? I'm sure it's happened in several places.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 05-15-2020 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather