Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 01:07 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,056,467 times

Advertisements

Hey Paddy,

So to sum it up then:-

Eastbourne Summer
Avg high 20.4 deg C, Avg rain days 22.5, Sunshine hours 721.9

Wellington Summer
Avg high 19.8 deg C, Avg rain days 23.2, Sunshine hours 667.2

Question for you Paddy - if Eastbourne is warmer, dryer and sunnier than Wellington and if the UK is as you say "a land that receives little sunshine and a large number of rainy days" what does that make Wellington exactly!?? :-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastbourne#Climate

Old 05-22-2022, 01:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,726,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hey Paddy,

So to sum it up then:-

Eastbourne Summer
Avg high 20.4 deg C, Avg rain days 22.5, Sunshine hours 721.9

Wellington Summer
Avg high 19.8 deg C, Avg rain days 23.2, Sunshine hours 667.2

Question for you Paddy - if Eastbourne is warmer, dryer and sunnier than Wellington and if the UK is as you say "a land that receives little sunshine and a large number of rainy days" what does that make Wellington exactly!?? :-D
Wellington is warmer 17.4C vs 17.2C for Eastbourne

Wellington is sunnier by percentage at 51.4% vs 51 % for Eastbourne.

Wellington has 21.0 days >1mm vs 22.4 daysfor Eastbourne

Remember the little accuracy talk we had? - C'mon Easty ... you're better than this.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Wellington is warmer 17.4C vs 17.2C for Eastbourne

Wellington is sunnier by percentage at 51.4% vs 51 % for Eastbourne.

Wellington has 21.0 days >1mm vs 22.4 daysfor Eastbourne

Remember the little accuracy talk we had? - C'mon Easty ... you're better than this.
Wellington doesn't GET as warm as Eastbourne and Eastbourne doesn't exactly roast! Eastbourne gets more hours of sunshine and Wellington gets more rainy days AND LOTS more rain, a soaking we 246.5mm against Eastbournes 160.7mm!!

A paltry 19.8 deg C, a massive 23.2 days of rain, a measly 667.2 hours of sunshine let alone a whopping 246.5mm of rain isn't exactly 'Mediterranean' is it LOL :-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastbourne#Climate

I'm waiting for Paddy to answer my question - if Eastbourne is warmer, dryer and sunnier than Wellington and if the UK is as you say "a land that receives little sunshine and a large number of rainy days" what does that make Wellington exactly!?? :-D

Old 05-22-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Yes it does 'fella' I want to feel the sun on my boat race for 721.9 hours in the Summer not 667.2! I would feel much happier with the extra 54.7 hours.

Tell me Joe if you went to Invercargill for your Summer holiday believing it to be 'like the Mediterranean' would you ask the travel company for your money back? Would you Joe? I know I would.
So what you really mean is that you want the sun to get up earlier, the sun to set later, and to also experience more cloud on your boat race?.... Eastbourne would logically get more cloud as the days are longer and the sunshine percentage is less.

Yep, Invercargill is pretty crap alright - I've seen snow showers there a couple of days before Christmas.

I'm weather folk Easty, so I wouldn't need some travel agent to tell about the climate of any place - that's just the way real weather folk are.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So what you really mean is that you want the sun to get up earlier, the sun to set later, and to also experience more cloud on your boat race?.... Eastbourne would logically get more cloud as the days are longer and the sunshine percentage is less.

Yep, Invercargill is pretty crap alright - I've seen snow showers there a couple of days before Christmas.
When it comes to daylight hours perhaps you should do the maths Joe? At the beginning and end of the Summer the daylengths are closer than the middle of the Summer, it will take some working out Joe, perhaps you could go do it? (might give me some peace for while!) In the meantime I'll try and be clear in What I'm saying - I'd rather see 721.9 hours of sun during my Summer than a measly 667.2 hours.

I hope you didn't go to Invercargill because Paddy promised you a 'Mediterranean' experience!?

Old 05-22-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
When it comes to daylight hours perhaps you should do the maths Joe? At the beginning and end of the Summer the daylengths are closer than the middle of the Summer, it will take some working out Joe, perhaps you could go do it? (might give me some peace for while!) In the meantime I'll try and be clear in What I'm saying - I'd rather see 721.9 hours of sun during my Summer than a measly 667.2 hours.

I hope you didn't go to Invercargill because Paddy promised you a 'Mediterranean' experience!?
I have done the maths - plenty of online calculators that will give you precise daylight hours, not allowing for horizon obstruction ... which Wellington as a hilly city has. Auckland, Wellington, Eastbourne are all actually very close for summer sunshine percentage, all not much more than 51% - my cloudiest month for the whole year here is 56%, which ironically given this discussion, is actually a summer month.

What you really want is longer days, not a sunnier climate.

No, I lived on/off in Invercargill for six years in the early 90's.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I have done the maths - plenty of online calculators that will give you precise daylight hours, not allowing for horizon obstruction ... which Wellington as a hilly city has. Auckland, Wellington, Eastbourne are all actually very close for summer sunshine percentage, all not much more than 51% - my cloudiest month for the whole year here is 56%, which ironically given this discussion, is actually a summer month.

What you really want is longer days, not a sunnier climate.

No, I lived on/off in Invercargill for six years in the early 90's.
Blimey Joe, you've done the maths AND taken into account the 'hilly' terrain too! Now that IS dedication, you are going to have to now do the same thing with Eastbourne and the South Downs Also I imagine that if you are at the West end of the beach the Downs will come into it more than if you are at the East end of the beach (the West end is the Beachy Head end I think) Perhaps you had better do the maths for me and get back to me? Show your workings though won't you because I'd love to see how you've done it, I imagine its all about angles. In the meantime I will work on trying to find a 'clearer' way of saying that Eastbourne gets more sunshine hours in its Summer months than grey and rainy Wellington, because you seem to be finding it hard to grasp the concept that 727.9 hours is more than 667.2.

I hope Paddy didn't put you up to the 6 years in Invercargill with false pretences! Perhaps you are better placed to tell him that Invercargill, though probably a lovely place is no Mediterranean hotbed (pardon the pun) when it comes to its climate.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:27 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,305,521 times
guys

Already summer here, today we went above 30c for the 5th day of the week, and the dewpoint rose up to 19c in the afternoon.

I wonder what it will be like in 2 months.... :/

Old 05-22-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
guys

Already summer here, today we went above 30c for the 5th day of the week, and the dewpoint rose up to 19c in the afternoon.

I wonder what it will be like in 2 months.... :/
Nice , was only 23c here but I guess that's not too bad for May here, is it getting cooler there over the next few days? Next 3 days here are grey and in the teens , looks like a prolonged spell of good weather for a couple of weeks afterwards here though.

Last edited by easthome; 05-22-2022 at 03:40 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Just find a latitude daylight calculator - - not rocket science from there.

Wellington has 2X-5X higher hills and closer than in Eastbourne - makes a difference. My location for example loses the sun a good 45mins earlier than neighbouring Nelson at peak difference - having hills higher than Ben Nevis only 5km takes a chunk out of the approx 2600hrs (est)sunshine hours here.

NZ has plenty of Mediterranean vibe - I'm used to people from Europe telling me that.

I hope I've helped steer you to towards a more ... accurate use of statistics. I acknowledge that you're saying that Eastbourne gets more hours of cloud in summer, than Wellington does.

Here's Wellington... in Winter.

Yep, signing off on this discussion ..... It's all your's folks!
Was kind of hoping to see your 'working outs' on this Joe, your hypothesis is all assumption. And finally once and for all chilly Summer highs of 19.8, a massive 23+ rainy days, a paltry 667 hours of sunshine and a soaking 246.5mm of rain does not give a 'Mediterranean' vibe lol! More a Hampshire coast vibe wouldn't you say!

Here's Eastbourne in Winter from the Downs:-

https://www.picfair.com/pics/0134070...he-south-downs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather