Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2020, 03:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,913,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
93 but feels like 108. If it feels that hot I’ll get a thunderstorm within a few hours to knock temps down to around 80 for rest of the day. A high of 106 with feels like of 108 probably means the heat isn’t going away soon.
Actually that area of Southwest Louisiana doesn't get the thunderstorms like Southeast Louisiana does. If New Orleans gets those conditions you can be assured of a thunderstorm but Lake Charles is just west enough that the heat dome doesn't permit the air to rise enough for thunderstorms. It was sunny all day in LC yesterday and today. The only reason it's not as hot as Austin is the sea breeze at the lower levels is coming in from the Gulf.

But you choose the mid 70's dews with 93 over the upper 50's dews with 108?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
106f Redding
106f Sacramento
111f Vegas
111f Phoenix
102f Fresno

This makes no sense.
Are the Sierra Nevadas blocking out the heat towards me or what.
What is surprising in this is that Fresno is only 102. I never understood why Redding is consistently hotter than Fresno in the summer (but much much colder and rainier in the winter but I understand that because it's further north).

Old 08-15-2020, 04:22 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,033,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What is surprising in this is that Fresno is only 102. I never understood why Redding is consistently hotter than Fresno in the summer (but much much colder and rainier in the winter but I understand that because it's further north).
Check this out
Per google
Lake Tahoe 86f
Shaver lake 84f(just one hour from Fresno and at a lower elevation than tahoe)

Fresno gets a couple more 100fs than Redding, but reddings 100fs are usually crazy high. I once heard that reddings heat is exacerbated by winds, but Redding isn't particularly windy, so I don't know how that works.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:29 PM

29,569 posts, read 19,673,949 times
O'Hare hit 91F today, Midway airport 89F and 88F here. I'm still perplexed as to how ORD is leading in the 90F+ tally this summer. That station is usually behind. Can't understand what's different.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Check this out
Per google
Lake Tahoe 86f
Shaver lake 84f(just one hour from Fresno and at a lower elevation than tahoe)

Fresno gets a couple more 100fs than Redding, but reddings 100fs are usually crazy high. I once heard that reddings heat is exacerbated by winds, but Redding isn't particularly windy, so I don't know how that works.
Mt Whitney is close to Fresno so maybe having that cold mountain nearby means more cold creeks coming down into the valley and thus maybe those creeks moderate the temps?

I remember being next to the Kern River just upriver of Bakersfield and it was 105 but it felt around 10 degrees cooler at the river. The river was nice and cold as well.

Redding is an oddity. It has winters of Portland (much milder but more rain) but summers more like the Inland Deserts than the rest of the Central Valley. It doesn't get the Delta breeze that Sactown gets and it rivals Bakersfield in temps. Yet surrounded by giant forests because of the high rainfall rates in the winter. It's a very unique climate in the world, no doubt about it.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:41 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,244,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
O'Hare hit 91F today, Midway airport 89F and 88F here. I'm still perplexed as to how ORD is leading in the 90F+ tally this summer. That station is usually behind. Can't understand what's different.
Shouldn’t it normally lead because it is further away from the lake?

Old 08-15-2020, 07:05 PM

2,937 posts, read 2,033,482 times
Fresno right now
102f(heat index 99f)

:0

Edit: no 110 in the latest forecast, but it's a hot forecast. Hoping we can stave off the dredded 110 for another summer.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 08-15-2020 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-15-2020, 07:17 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,924,580 times
Needles CA, just beat a monthly record dating from almost a century today, with a near 51ºC reading.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:29 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,362,661 times
Quote:
Actually that area of Southwest Louisiana doesn't get the thunderstorms like Southeast Louisiana does. If New Orleans gets those conditions you can be assured of a thunderstorm but Lake Charles is just west enough that the heat dome doesn't permit the air to rise enough for thunderstorms. It was sunny all day in LC yesterday and today. The only reason it's not as hot as Austin is the sea breeze at the lower levels is coming in from the Gulf.
Seems like 100F+ temps aren't usually that common in inland Louisiana until you get up around Natchitoches. Though this year even Shreveport hasn't reached 100F.

Here in Alexandria we got up to 99F this afternoon (our highest temp of the year so far). Then an intense thunderstorm came out of the northeast. Lots of lightning and sheets of rain blowing sideways. The airport recorded a gust of 56 mph! It had been getting dry here with no measurable precip for two weeks before today's storm.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:11 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,274,689 times
Quote:
It's not locked in, it's a matter of positioning. If the heat dome is in the right position, then storms will be suppressed over New Orleans as well. Even Florida can get it for long periods (as LKJ always mentions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather