Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the duration of your summer/winter
Long summers, short winters 14 29.17%
Long winters, short summers 17 35.42%
Even winters/summers 10 20.83%
In some years, it changes 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 05:21 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Long hot summer, short lame winter here.
Agree for the most part, that's true. but I chose "it changes". Sometimes we have short winters with long summers, sometimes we have long winters with long summers. Sometimes we have even winters with normal summers. ect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 AM

6,805 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yeah, it does stand to people's subjective preference. If they "feel" their summers are longer, in which they probably aren't for many other people in the world, then they would vote for "long summers". I think we should be more objective here.

Heck, I would say that Sydney has longish summers, but I know a few people would disagree, especially those from say the US Gulf Coast. So I would put Sydney under 'even winters/summers'.

Everyone has their own definitions of the seasons shaped by what they're familiar with.

And the problem with objective definitions of seasons is that they basically remove some seasons from some areas completely even though those seasons clearly exist there or the other way around, extend certain seasons to last all year.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:48 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,404,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Everyone has their own definitions of the seasons shaped by what they're familiar with.

And the problem with objective definitions of seasons is that they basically remove some seasons from some areas completely even though those seasons clearly exist there or the other way around, extend certain seasons to last all year.
Yeah, I refuse to consider any place that has average highs above 50 F (10 C) year round as a climate that has a winter because I don’t really need a jacket. The same sweater I use in fall is enough. Other people may think differently though.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:02 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Yeah, I refuse to consider any place that has average highs above 50 F (10 C) year round as a climate that has a winter because I don’t really need a jacket. The same sweater I use in fall is enough. Other people may think differently though.
Our average high bottoms at 66°F and I need a jacket at least part of the day from late October through mid April

Old 07-13-2020, 01:04 PM

157 posts, read 65,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I based winter on when you can see snow, and when it's cloudier. I definitely remember early April and mid November snow most years I lived in ROC. And for summer, I based it on when highs below 70 and lows below 50 are pretty much non existent. I definitely remember having some 60s/40s days in mid June and early to mid September about every other year back there
Yes, but the mean is 66 here, closer to 68 near Albany itself here in June, so summer doesn’t start by mid June I can say that. Yes, we may get a few days in the 60’s in June but it’s usually early on and maybe is a day or two. Does not mean it’s not summer. It’s usually cloudy and rainy on those days as well. As for September, it will have lots of days in the 70’s and so I consider it still summer mostly until the end when the 60’s start rolling in for early October. The mean for September is still 58 - 60 here. The humidity is less however.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterNY1 View Post
Yes, but the mean is 66 here, closer to 68 near Albany itself here in June, so summer doesn’t start by mid June I can say that. Yes, we may get a few days in the 60’s in June but it’s usually early on and maybe is a day or two. Does not mean it’s not summer. It’s usually cloudy and rainy on those days as well. As for September, it will have lots of days in the 70’s and so I consider it still summer mostly until the end when the 60’s start rolling in for early October. The mean for September is still 58 - 60 here. The humidity is less however.
I look for reduced cold rather than heat episodes to define the seasonal changes, I feel it's more accurate. I also remember the morning of July 2nd 2001, my last day living in Rochester, had a record low of 45°F, and there was light frost out! That's more typical of summer in Leadville, CO than Rochester

Old 10-08-2020, 02:12 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Everywhere around the planet will see less and less of winter over time as the planet super heats.
Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather