Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,475,584 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Garson is right. I personally wouldn't want to go from a hot climate too far north. Snow is pretty, but when you have to shovel it half the winter and buy a snowblower and the expense of the clothes you would need to add to your wardrobes, you could take a wonderful winter vacation somewhere. Then you could actually enjoy it instead of having to deal with it for half the year.

I'd be interested in knowing where you end up so keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM

845 posts, read 2,745,663 times
I moved from South Florida to the Pacific Northwest. It has been a hard transition going from living somewhere warm and sunny all year to some place dark and cold. I don't like it up here and will be moving back to the sunbelt next year. I dont really care for seasons because changing seasons means cold weather. I much prefered seasons when I just saw them on tv.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:59 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,971,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Yes I would! That is exactly why I posted this thread. Thanks for that suggestion Garson. I will look into it. I really just want my family to see what 4 seasons would be like. What snow is like, fall, spring, and humidity for that matter. We have all been here for ever. Thanks again! I will indeed look around.
And no I have never lived where it snows. I was born in Calif. went back to Cape Cod every summer to stay with my grandmother and lived in Arizona for the last 30 years. I have gone up to see the snow once in Flagstaff AZ, but never lived with it. You see why I am curious. I only see it in the movies. lol My kids too! When we went up to the snow they were only 5 or 6, except for my 4 year old who has never seen it, the girls (13 and 15) now, have only seen it once as well. We have been in a situation taking care of my father with Alzheimers for the last 5 or 6 years so we could not vacation. He past away in April so we are now thinking about the move.
sorry to hear about that

hey, i highly recommend Blairsville, GA; it's up in the mountains so they get snow in the winter about 10 inches a year up there, get BEAUTIFUL fall colors in October, this year they had snow in Christmas; it really is a nice place to live.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:09 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
sorry to hear about that

hey, i highly recommend Blairsville, GA; it's up in the mountains so they get snow in the winter about 10 inches a year up there, get BEAUTIFUL fall colors in October, this year they had snow in Christmas; it really is a nice place to live.
I love GA. I love the people I meet from there, always friendly. I'm so excited to have new places to look into. I love this forum. I really had no idea's on any place other than the north where I have relatives. Thanks to everyone for the support with my father. Yes, it was a hard one, but worth it.
He was a wonderful man. Good old northerner who loved the west!
All suggestions welcome. It's keeping me pleasantly busy. Thanks. I will let all of you know where we decide to go. It will be quite the adventure. lol

Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,530,606 times
Southern mountains are another good idea - they have the four seasons but the "less popular" ones are shorter.
Another area would be Asheville NC. I have heard it is beautiful there and they have fall folliage and winter snow.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
Southern mountains are another good idea - they have the four seasons but the "less popular" ones are shorter.
Another area would be Asheville NC. I have heard it is beautiful there and they have fall folliage and winter snow.
I have heard NC is nice. I worry about a Hurrican taking out my home or flooding. Is that a worry? Some of my relatives up in New England are planning to move to NC. I guess a lot of them from up there move there now instead of Florida.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
sorry to hear about that

Wow, it is pretty there. Is it a mountain town? Im really uneducated about the south. Sorry. Are there a lot of creatures and buggies? The one thing about the cold weather we were looking forward to was less critters. lol We have flies, misquitos, and scorpions, etc. here all year long because of the heat. I would be nice to have a cold spell with no bugs for awhile. I hear the south has even more little lively things than we do.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,971,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Wow, it is pretty there. Is it a mountain town? Im really uneducated about the south. Sorry. Are there a lot of creatures and buggies? The one thing about the cold weather we were looking forward to was less critters. lol We have flies, misquitos, and scorpions, etc. here all year long because of the heat. I would be nice to have a cold spell with no bugs for awhile. I hear the south has even more little lively things than we do.
yes, in fact Blairsville is a mountain town, near the NC border.

We have bugs here but it's only limited to late spring and summer, in winter there absolutely NO bugs here, during a cold spell in Janaury you can expect temperatures in the lower 10's or upper 0's, so there are virtually no bugs between November and March.

he are some photos pictures of Blairsville from Google Images:

blairsville, ga - Google Image Search

Last edited by Jammie; 05-07-2008 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,475,584 times
Wow DX, that town is very pretty. I love the waterfall.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,419,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post

twiggy I'm sorry about your dad. Moving to the mountains in North Carolina is a great idea, one the reasons we want to move from Texas to there is for better weather. We hate the heat here and the fall foliage there is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather