Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 04:03 PM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'm surprised that Ulaanbaatar has more than 1 million people (had to check), but I'd change my vote to Ulaanbaatar then as well.
It's over a million population and I think has about 40% if the population of Mongolia. Even though the climate was really bad and infrastructure and restaurant scene terrible, I still very much enjoyed Mongolia because the people were kind and interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 04:13 PM

1,503 posts, read 913,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Manaus, Brazil. In the middle of the world's largest rainforest.
Despite that Manaus does have a distinctly drier season in Jul-Sep that Singapore doesn't have. In fact, with 64.3mm in Aug it is only just wet enough to qualify as a Koppen Af climate (this probably shows a weakness of his category if it makes a place in the middle of the world's largest rainforest only marginally a tropical rainforest climate).

Singapore is a little hotter by yearly mean at 27.5C (Manaus 27.0C) mainly because average lows are about a degree higher, though Manaus has hotter highs, especially in the drier season.

Basically if you don't like heat and humidity, you're not going to like either, but I think Singapore will be worse.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:57 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's over a million population and I think has about 40% if the population of Mongolia. Even though the climate was really bad and infrastructure and restaurant scene terrible, I still very much enjoyed Mongolia because the people were kind and interesting.

Yeah, it went over a million about 10 years ago. I mostly remember reading about Mongolia as a kid, and that's now a few decades ago. I remember reading that the streets all ended at the city limits of Ulaanbaatar (which I'm sure has changed since then too).

Old 07-18-2021, 09:26 PM

524 posts, read 485,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Because I worked for an Engineering company that built mines and chemical and petroleum plants, I've lived in some of the most extreme climates on the planet including Mongolia, Russia, Saudi, Kuwait as well as some good climates here and there.

For me, the extremely cold climates in Ulaanbaatar and Moscow are overall worse than Kuwait City and the hot climates. So I'll go with Ulaanbaatar as having the worst I've experienced.
I hear electricity and heating in Mongolia is mostly from coal and biomass burning, which is going to make outdoor and indoor air quality very bad during the winter.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:49 PM

685 posts, read 766,977 times
The heat of the humid Middle Eastern cities has got to be the worst climate on Earth. Several have recorded dew points near 98F, which is extremely dangerous. It's impossible to acclimate to that level of heat, and you can't avoid it by wearing a coat (e.g. winter climes).

Old 07-19-2021, 06:53 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,028 times
San Francisco is pretty cruddy year round. Not quite 1M though in population.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:56 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,455,931 times
bangkok

The top 100 worst climate cities with large population are all warm climates (needless to say). And this is well reflected in the fact that colder large cities in the world generally score higher in terms of quality of life, economic output, and general indices of well being, while warm cities are often rampant with overpopulation and poverty (even within the US, the states that score highest in quality of life are MN, WA, VT, NH, while the lowest are MS, LA, AL). That's a correlation vs causation thing of course, having to do with more than just climate, but the correlation is not a weak one. Warm tropical climates were often breeding grounds for nasty diseases like malaria etc.

Last edited by Shalop; 07-19-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-19-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post
I hear electricity and heating in Mongolia is mostly from coal and biomass burning, which is going to make outdoor and indoor air quality very bad during the winter.
You heard correct, the winter in UB is horrible with the air smelling like a camp fire and brown air engulfing the city....air quality has to be diminishing lifespan in UB by at least 10 years.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
The heat of the humid Middle Eastern cities has got to be the worst climate on Earth. Several have recorded dew points near 98F, which is extremely dangerous. It's impossible to acclimate to that level of heat, and you can't avoid it by wearing a coat (e.g. winter climes).
It is brutal but bearable with great HVAC systems. I lived and worked in the Middle East almost 10 years in various countries and you have to become nocturnal in the hot months. Saudi and Kuwait don't allow outside work in the afternoons in the summer. I still find the extremely cold climates such as Mongolia and Siberia to be worse at least for me.

Old 07-20-2021, 06:48 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Perhaps different people experience it differently, but I found Bangkok in the dry season much more uncomfortable than Kuala Lumpur or Kuching because of the glaring sun. Being in the rainforest under the trees is quite nice.
Perhaps the moist, covered rainforest will provide a refreshing relief.

How was it like in the streets of Kuala Lumpur (the UHI effect may provide a different sensation)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather