Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 09:34 AM

1,503 posts, read 915,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Perhaps the moist, covered rainforest will provide a refreshing relief.

How was it like in the streets of Kuala Lumpur (the UHI effect may provide a different sensation)?
Very hot and humid as you can imagine, not comfortable but I didn't find it awful. It would have been hotter than being in the rainforest. I'm not sure what the temperatures were when I was in Bangkok in Nov but without any cloud cover it felt a lot more uncomfortable than KL.

Put another way, if say it was 2pm in an equatorial or inner tropical location, 32C and 75% humidity, I'd find it less uncomfortable if it was overcast than if the sky was clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 09:45 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Seattle 'fer sure. Or as a friend once described it, "Living in Seattle is like being married to an extremely beautiful woman... who always has a 'headache'!" ;-p

It's sunless in Seattle as city weathers one of the gloomiest stretches in recent history
For many people, rain and the city of Seattle are nearly synonymous. In some ways, it's an image that's understandable, especially when you consider that Seattle can experience more than 300 cloudy days per year.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:05 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Minneapolis and Montreal (in January) and Bangkok (in summer.)

Old 07-20-2021, 01:08 PM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Seattle 'fer sure. Or as a friend once described it, "Living in Seattle is like being married to an extremely beautiful woman... who always has a 'headache'!" ;-p

It's sunless in Seattle as city weathers one of the gloomiest stretches in recent history
For many people, rain and the city of Seattle are nearly synonymous. In some ways, it's an image that's understandable, especially when you consider that Seattle can experience more than 300 cloudy days per year.
Seattle climate is very mild, the only people that complain endlessly about lack of sun have a Vitamin D deficiency and take no supplements.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:33 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

IIRC, that January it rained for 30 days straight. I think here in Olympia we had 1 day more than Seattle. That wasn't the worst though. I think it was either 2016 or 2017 where we had something like 3 sunny days between October and March and it was very rainy during that period. That said, it's not a bad climate and definitely no where near one of the worst.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 07-20-2021 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-20-2021, 01:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
I'm surprised no one has said St Petersburg. The Baltic doesn't make it quite as cold as UB and not nearly as hot in the summer. But there is no sun in the winter. It makes Seattle seem tropical. The average December in St Petersburg gets 13 hours of sunlight FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH! 27 in Nov and 22 in Jan. They only get 1635 hours of sunlight an entire year.

Seattle isn't the cloudiest/gloomiest city in the US either. They get 2165 hours. Pittsburgh is. They get 2020 hours of sunlight a year. Still 400 hours more than St Petersburg!

Seattle is far from the wettest US city also. At only 39.3" per year, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, and every other eastern seaboard city gets more. Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh all get between 39.3 and 41" while east coast cities get over 44" of rain a year.

Old 07-20-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

Seattle isn't the cloudiest/gloomiest city in the US either. They get 2165 hours. Pittsburgh is. They get 2020 hours of sunlight a year. Still 400 hours more than St Petersburg!
In the lower 48 look at Forks, Wa...it has 1530 hrs and that's using Fosters which overestimates. Also Bellingham, Wa has 1866 hrs:

Forks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forks,...hy_and_climate
Bellingham:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellin...ington#Climate

No clue how much lower it would using the CS system. BTW, Seattle doesn't represent all the rain out here. Seattle actually has a great climate in this region as it's protected by the rainshadow from the Olympic mountains. I'm an hour drive SW and we get 50"...20 minutes west of me 67" and the coast like Forks above they get over 100". It's also not just about annual rainfall amounts but also look at the number of days it rains...Forks for instance has over 200 rainy days a year. You won't find that number anywhere on the east coast. SE Alaska is even worse.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 07-20-2021 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-20-2021, 02:47 PM

207 posts, read 156,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I'm surprised no one has said St Petersburg. The Baltic doesn't make it quite as cold as UB and not nearly as hot in the summer. But there is no sun in the winter. It makes Seattle seem tropical. The average December in St Petersburg gets 13 hours of sunlight FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH! 27 in Nov and 22 in Jan. They only get 1635 hours of sunlight an entire year.

Seattle is far from the wettest US city also. At only 39.3" per year, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, and every other eastern seaboard city gets more. Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh all get between 39.3 and 41" while east coast cities get over 44" of rain a year.
Highly underrated post . Cold areas with no sunlight would be hard to get through, and for the fact I've never experienced polar day OR night, that is something to experience! . Usually, for where I am from, daylight lasts for 9 1/2 hours for November-January, then in summer, it's 14 1/2 hours. Also great point on Seattle, and in addition, it CAN have a few things like kale that survive throughout the whole winter with not much damage at all! .

I'd like to say Torshavn is one of the worst climates due to many things that people already know on this forum: barely any temperature changes, cloudiness, and snow is actually rare close to sea level. I find it funny that despite being so far north, Torshavn has only a couple of months of frost at most, then it gets out of that quickly, but it can have that for the vast majority of the year if it pushes hard enough.

I feel sad for Saint Petersburg though , such a great and beautiful city but nobody wants to live in that cold!
If only there was SOME incentive to get people up there, but it doesn't seem to be so. Also, it has more water than California and Arizona right now so there's that.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:22 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia - pop 1.45M, average Jan temp -26C, with average lows at -33C - snows year round, considered the worlds most polluted city with levels 133x what is considered safe.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post
I'd like to say Torshavn is one of the worst climates due to many things that people already know on this forum: barely any temperature changes, cloudiness, and snow is actually rare close to sea level. I find it funny that despite being so far north, Torshavn has only a couple of months of frost at most, then it gets out of that quickly, but it can have that for the vast majority of the year if it pushes hard enough.
Must be because of it being such a small island it's more heavily influenced by the Atlantic cause if you look at SE Alaska which is oceanic they get quite a bit of snow. Pacific is also a colder ocean too though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather