Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 04:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,276,973 times

Advertisements

Durban has a high of 18°C and a low of 14°C in forecast for Friday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 06:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,927,379 times
Here the things continue to being thermally "iddle", but we had a strong complex of storms across the Pampas yesterday, including a small tornado reported in Santa Fe province. Photo of the storm front traversing that province:

However the temps gonna start to pick up by this weekend, with widespread 40's in the north for multiple days and maybe even topping 45C, we'll see...

Old 12-15-2021, 11:23 PM

525 posts, read 489,096 times

Was browsing the weather app at work earlier today when I found a coastal spot in northwest Australia where the current dew point was above 28 C. Took this screenshot when I saw the forecast dew point on Saturday will be over 30 C!

I've noticed the places in the world with the highest dew points are in coastal/near-coastal areas of tropical deserts during the "summer" season where it gets very hot in the interior. For the Northern Hemisphere, this is usually around the Persian Gulf and the (Iranian Plateau side of the) Lower Indus Valley of Pakistan. Although the southern Red Sea and Gulf of Aden would be a very close runner-up. For the Southern Hemisphere, this is northwestern Australia where it's humid enough to experience a monsoon, but doesn't receive enough rainfall to not be a (semi)arid climate.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:27 AM

1,232 posts, read 734,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post

Was browsing the weather app at work earlier today when I found a coastal spot in northwest Australia where the current dew point was above 28 C. Took this screenshot when I saw the forecast dew point on Saturday will be over 30 C!

I've noticed the places in the world with the highest dew points are in coastal/near-coastal areas of tropical deserts during the "summer" season where it gets very hot in the interior. For the Northern Hemisphere, this is usually around the Persian Gulf and the (Iranian Plateau side of the) Lower Indus Valley of Pakistan. Although the southern Red Sea and Gulf of Aden would be a very close runner-up. For the Southern Hemisphere, this is northwestern Australia where it's humid enough to experience a monsoon, but doesn't receive enough rainfall to not be a (semi)arid climate.
'False Mouth Of The Ord' ? Well thats a new one.....dunno if thats an official BOM site...haha. Kununurra and Wyndham are the official sites nearby in the northern East Kimberley of Western Australia.
However I can confirm that the coastal regions of Northern Australia do see DP'S around the 30c mark at this time of the year. Not as bad as the Persion Gulf/Red Sea, but still very oppressive. Here is a selection of crappy days I screen shotted last wet season.
Very ordinary !

And Darwin Airport yesterday

Selected sites, coastal and inland a couple of days ago.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:22 PM

The Marble Bar forecast has softened a little....

Old 12-16-2021, 08:34 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,540,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Saw that. Still pretty cozy minimums though.

Currently 36.5°C in Adelaide. First day above 35°C there since February. Should be good for the cricket.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Just looked at the month-to-date for Marble Bar. Average high at the halfway point 45.1°C with no end in site. Getting into Death Valley territory.

Source: Marble Bar, WA - Daily Weather Observations

Old 12-16-2021, 11:47 PM

Some of todays details ( Dec 17th ) and YTD and monthly records.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:01 PM

Marble Bar today and the next 7 days. Coastal Port Hedland forecast 47c, same as Roebourne.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Marble Bar today and the next 7 days. Coastal Port Hedland forecast 47c, same as Roebourne.
Marble Bar's record maximums for the date are 46.3°C at the current station and 46.7°C at the old station so a daily record should be in play. However the monthly record for December, 49.3°C from December 27, 2018, seems out of reach.

One interesting statistic is the highest monthly mean maximum. For December the records for December are 43.9°C at the old site and 44.1°C at the new site (don't know the years, sorry); annually it is 44.9°C in some February sometime (again don't know the exact year--can't figure out how to extract that from the BOM site).

Anyway, the average for the month so far is 45.2°C and if the forecast is accurate it should still be ~45.2°C after the 25th. So a good chance of the hottest December ever and possibly even the hottest month ever. I'd even say the only thing that could stop the monthly record would be the arrival of a tropical depression and I see no sign of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather