Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 12:53 AM

901 posts, read 348,242 times

Advertisements

Here's what a typical high summer month looks like in Corryong - sure it may be a degree below the long-term average, so simply add 1 C to every day--

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 12:58 AM

421 posts, read 222,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
Here's what a typical high summer month looks like in Corryong - sure it may be a degree below the long-term average, so simply add 1 C to every day--
Those temperatures look nice for high summer, shame it had to be bone dry.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:45 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
For here I would say sometime in April to early June, and again september to mid october.

Summer is just too hot to leave windows open in the day time (I still reach about 33c indoors with windows closed), and after All Saints day the weather gets too cold to leave them open more than a few minutes to change air, and it remains so until March.

I generally open the windows everyday, but winter and summer are mostly to renew the air, while I leave them open for long periods in the shoulder seasons, but mostly during the warmest part.

These days are still warm, but the nights are getting cooler. It's a great season to leave windows open, but sometimes I have to close them because the sun is too strong and the room heats rapidly.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
We have our windows open all year, in the Summer we open the big ones and in the Winter we tend to keep the small ones open (most of the time). In the Summer opening the big windows creates a lovely cooling 'through draft'. In the winter months closing the big windows stops the draught but keeping the small windows open keeps the ventilation. In the Summer months we tend to close the big windows and open the small windows when we go to bed unless its really hot then we keep the large windows open upstairs on the safety latches, in the Winter we close all the windows when we go to bed (the heating is set to come on overnight if the temperature drops enough and the thermostat kicks in). If we are having a particularly cold Winter spell then we keep all windows closed day and night but most Winter days are quite mild and its pleasant to have the small windows open.

Our climate is usually temperate enough to control the indoor temperature just by using the windows but in the height of Summer we may need fans and in the depths of Winter we may need heating (we would probably need more heating in the Winter if we lived in an older house but our house was built in the 1990's and has modern insulation).

Old 09-23-2023, 07:44 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
How many months in a typical year are you able to leave one or more windows open in your residence for most of the day (and night) to let in fresh air?

The longest "open windows season" place I have lived was in Orange County, CA where I could have one or more windows open day and often night for 8 or 9 months out of the year.

My current location in Germany is good for open windows from roughly mid May to late September, 4+ months. No air conditioning here.

Other places I've lived were a mixed bag - some were too humid to leave windows open much in summer (Alabama) or too hot to have windows open much from late Spring to early Fall (Tucson, AZ).
This...

Old 09-23-2023, 07:45 AM

350 posts, read 197,142 times
OMG this is my main complaint in life.

Foolishly I moved to Florida, USA where it's like living in an office building all year long.

I relocated further into North Florida and STILL can only live with open windows maybe 3 months per year if I'm lucky.

This is what happens when you only spent those three cooler months every year in a place, forgetting that it's ONLY three months when you move there.

I also lived in Greece so 12 months since there's no A/C lol.

I tried moving North during the pandemic but just couldn't make it happen. Yet.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:03 AM

5,900 posts, read 6,109,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
OMG this is my main complaint in life.

Foolishly I moved to Florida, USA where it's like living in an office building all year long.

I relocated further into North Florida and STILL can only live with open windows maybe 3 months per year if I'm lucky.

This is what happens when you only spent those three cooler months every year in a place, forgetting that it's ONLY three months when you move there.

I also lived in Greece so 12 months since there's no A/C lol.

I tried moving North during the pandemic but just couldn't make it happen. Yet.
I don't think North Florida is that bad... November and March are definitely open windows season there imo. Even April and October have a lot of ok days - those months in N Florida have average temperatures equal to my summers, when I usually leave my windows open. I think our summer temps are a bit more stable, so maybe about 50% of April and October days in North Florida would be open window days due to the fluctuations?

Old 09-23-2023, 12:44 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Maybe 20 days a year in FL.

Old 09-23-2023, 01:14 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Maybe 20 days a year in FL.

Yup - if you're lucky to get 20 days.

I've taken the screens off some of my windows since they are opened so rarely. They stay cleaner without screens.

I truly miss the cool Spring and Autumn nights in New England. Ahhhh.

Old 09-23-2023, 01:23 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Yup - if you're lucky to get 20 days.

I've taken the screens off some of my windows since they are opened so rarely. They stay cleaner without screens.

I truly miss the cool Spring and Autumn nights in New England. Ahhhh.
Now with about year round 90's them days are about over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather