Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2024, 04:12 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,406,342 times

Advertisements

I forgot to mention the sheer magnitude of the good performance Southeast US weather monitoring so far. As many good performances as 2023 had this time a year ago, it did not have:

-Abilene Airport
-Fort Worth Meacham Airport
-Waco Airport
-Lufkin Airport
-Texarkana Airport
-Shreveport Airport
-Monroe Airport
-Longview Airport
-Natchitoches Airport
-Alexandria Airport
-Lake Charles Airport
-Orange
-Lafayette Airport
-New Iberia Airport
-Slidell Airport
-Downtown Slidell
-Baton Rouge Airport
-Donaldsonville Airport
-Gulfport Airport
-Greenville Airport
-Mobile Regional Airport
-Mobile International Airport
-Pensacola Airport
-Dothan Airport
-Valdosta Airport
-Tallahassee Airport
-Tifton Airport
-Marianna Airport
-Lake City Airport
-Jacksonville Cecil Field Airport
-Brooksville Airport
-Augusta Daniel Field
-Columbus Airport
-Atlanta Airport
-Macon Airport
-Columbia Airport
-Walterboro
-Morehead City
-New Bern Airport
-Elizabeth City Airport
-Raleigh Airport
-Fayetteville Airport
-Wilmington Airport
-Nahunta
-Albany Airport
-Alma Airport
-Statesboro Airport (I bet BullochResident is surprised)

And I'm sure I missed some. That's 47 well-performing places to add onto the already-hefty total of good performances in 2023, vs the only losses compared to 2023 are San Angelo Airport, Kerrville Airport, and Fredericksburg Airport.

This is especially impressive considering that the majority of these are cold holes. Boy am I happy I'm monitoring this firsthand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 05:18 AM

29,506 posts, read 19,606,320 times

Crap weather continues through the weekend

Old 04-04-2024, 05:32 AM

116 posts, read 80,887 times
its nice here in twin cities

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...ield2=-93.2650

Old 04-04-2024, 05:32 AM

3,171 posts, read 1,272,041 times
Coldest Lows in Turkey today:

Village Station in Çaldıran District had the coldest low in Turkey with -7.6°C today.

District Center of Çaldıran had the second coldest low in Turkey with -5.6°C.

Göle had the 4th coldest low in Turkey today but Ardahan was behind too many official weather stations. It is uncountable.

Lows in Ardahan Province today:

Göle had a low of -4.6°C today while Ardahan had a low of +1.6°C

Last edited by The Grandeur; 04-04-2024 at 06:01 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 06:01 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Loop past 4hrs.
988mb storm just off the coast.
April 4, 2024

Thundersnow in New Hampshire!

Seeing 7-10" in NH and ME down to the coast
4-7" in Vermont
Some in Massachusetts

12.28 inches of rain here past 5 weeks.

Old 04-04-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I forgot to mention the sheer magnitude of the good performance Southeast US weather monitoring so far. As many good performances as 2023 had this time a year ago, it did not have:

-Abilene Airport
-Fort Worth Meacham Airport
-Waco Airport
-Lufkin Airport
-Texarkana Airport
-Shreveport Airport
-Monroe Airport
-Longview Airport
-Natchitoches Airport
-Alexandria Airport
-Lake Charles Airport
-Orange
-Lafayette Airport
-New Iberia Airport
-Slidell Airport
-Downtown Slidell
-Baton Rouge Airport
-Donaldsonville Airport
-Gulfport Airport
-Greenville Airport
-Mobile Regional Airport
-Mobile International Airport
-Pensacola Airport
-Dothan Airport
-Valdosta Airport
-Tallahassee Airport
-Tifton Airport
-Marianna Airport
-Lake City Airport
-Jacksonville Cecil Field Airport
-Brooksville Airport
-Augusta Daniel Field
-Columbus Airport
-Atlanta Airport
-Macon Airport
-Columbia Airport
-Walterboro
-Morehead City
-New Bern Airport
-Elizabeth City Airport
-Raleigh Airport
-Fayetteville Airport
-Wilmington Airport
-Nahunta
-Albany Airport
-Alma Airport
-Statesboro Airport (I bet BullochResident is surprised)

And I'm sure I missed some. That's 47 well-performing places to add onto the already-hefty total of good performances in 2023, vs the only losses compared to 2023 are San Angelo Airport, Kerrville Airport, and Fredericksburg Airport.

This is especially impressive considering that the majority of these are cold holes. Boy am I happy I'm monitoring this firsthand.

It's truly remarkable to see such a vast improvement in weather performance across so many locations in the Southeast US. Your firsthand monitoring efforts are invaluable in understanding these trends. Keep up the excellent work, and if you come across any further insights, feel free to share them

Old 04-04-2024, 07:15 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,406,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankong2010 View Post
It's truly remarkable to see such a vast improvement in weather performance across so many locations in the Southeast US. Your firsthand monitoring efforts are invaluable in understanding these trends. Keep up the excellent work, and if you come across any further insights, feel free to share them
Amen to that. So happy you appreciate my efforts, I'm very pleased to keep up monitoring and sharing the results.

To keep on sharing, I also forgot: this is looking like it will be special spot Charleston Airport's first entirely good monitoring season (read: their best monitoring season) EVER. The 6 criteria for a Southeast US place to have an entirely good monitoring season (defined as October-April and primarily November-March) are:

1) All months must be at least around average if not above average.
2) The frost-free season must last until at least December and begin no later than the end of February.
3) Once the matter of the frost-free season is settled, all months must have cold extremes around the usual coldest if not warmer than usual.
4) Likewise, with heat monitoring being just as important as cold/frost monitoring, all months must have heat extremes at the usual hottest if not warmer than usual.
5) There must be wild temperature fluctuations between the heat and cold for that Southeast US flavor.
6) Last but not least, rainfall must be around or above normal so there is no drought (not every month has to be at or above normal however, a dry month can be fixed with a wetter one down the line).

For Charleston Airport this season:

1) October-March have ranged from 0.2C to 3C above average, running 1.3C above average and April is looking to continue that trend from the Climate Prediction Center. Check.
2) First frost December 12, last frost February 20 - and even a bonus month-long frost free period between January 22 and February 20. Check.
3) October-March have ranged from getting exactly normal cold extremes to +5C above normal cold extremes, with their total being cold extremes 0.8C above usual and a usual winter minimum 2C above usual. Climate Prediction Center again points to April following this, so check.
4) October-March have ranged from getting exactly normal heat extremes to +3C above normal heat (even tying an all time record high for January), with their total being heat extremes 1C above usual. April, again, is pointed to following this, so check.
5) The following 10 day stretch in Charleston Airport's January 2024 is a serious contender for the best wild temperature swing monitoring I have ever done!

1/19: 18/3C
1/20: 7/-3C
1/21: 7/-5C (coldest day of the month and season)
1/22: 16/-5C
1/23: 19/10C
1/24: 25/17C
1/25: 26/17C
1/26: 28/17C (warmest day of the month and tying the all time record high for the month)
1/27: 26/16C
1/28: 21/10C

Notice how the hottest and coldest days were only 5 days apart, and how in a mere 3 days it went from an average January day in Wichita to an average January day in the Florida Keys.
6) Even if April gets no rain at all, the October-March rainfall total is 31mm higher than the average October-April rainfall total, so check.

Incredibly satisfying for a cold hole I initially totally disregarded in favor of the right-on-the-coast-downtown station to be lavishing me with better performance than I could ever expect!

Last edited by Can't think of username; 04-04-2024 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Amen to that. So happy you appreciate my efforts, I'm very pleased to keep up monitoring and sharing the results.

To keep on sharing, I also forgot: this is looking like it will be special spot Charleston Airport's first entirely good monitoring season (read: their best monitoring season) EVER. The 6 criteria for a Southeast US place to have an entirely good monitoring season (defined as October-April and primarily November-March) are:

1) All months must be at least around average if not above average.
2) The frost-free season must last until at least December and begin no later than the end of February.
3) Once the matter of the frost-free season is settled, all months must have cold extremes around the usual coldest if not warmer than usual.
4) Likewise, with heat monitoring being just as important as cold/frost monitoring, all months must have heat extremes at the usual hottest if not warmer than usual.
5) There must be wild temperature fluctuations between the heat and cold for that Southeast US flavor.
6) Last but not least, rainfall must be around or above normal so there is no drought (not every month has to be at or above normal however, a dry month can be fixed with a wetter one down the line).

For Charleston Airport this season:

1) October-March have ranged from 0.2C to 3C above average, running 1.3C above average and April is looking to continue that trend from the Climate Prediction Center. Check.
2) First frost December 12, last frost February 20 - and even a bonus month-long frost free period between January 22 and February 20. Check.
3) October-March have ranged from getting exactly normal cold extremes to +5C above normal cold extremes, with their total being cold extremes 0.8C above usual and a usual winter minimum 2C above usual. Climate Prediction Center again points to April following this, so check.
4) October-March have ranged from getting exactly normal heat extremes to +3C above normal heat (even tying an all time record high for January), with their total being heat extremes 1C above usual. April, again, is pointed to following this, so check.
5) The following 10 day stretch in Charleston Airport's January 2024 is a serious contender for the best wild temperature swing monitoring I have ever done!

1/19: 18/3C
1/20: 7/-3C
1/21: 7/-5C (coldest day of the month and season)
1/22: 16/-5C
1/23: 19/10C
1/24: 25/17C
1/25: 26/17C
1/26: 28/17C (warmest day of the month and tying the all time record high for the month)
1/27: 26/16C
1/28: 21/10C

Notice how the hottest and coldest days were only 5 days apart, and how in a mere 3 days it went from an average January day in Wichita to an average January day in the Florida Keys.
6) Even if April gets no rain at all, the October-March rainfall total is 31mm higher than the average October-April rainfall total, so check.

Incredibly satisfying for a cold hole I initially totally disregarded in favor of the right-on-the-coast-downtown station to be lavishing me with better performance than I could ever expect!
Thank you for sharing your insights! It's fascinating to see how weather patterns can vary across different locations, and your detailed analysis really highlights the improvements in monitoring performance across the Southeast US. It's particularly impressive to hear about Charleston Airport's exceptional season – it's always exciting to see when a location surpasses expectations.

Your dedication to monitoring and sharing these results firsthand is truly appreciated. It's discussions like these that contribute to a deeper understanding of regional weather trends and their impacts. Looking forward to more insights from you in the future.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:47 AM

29,506 posts, read 19,606,320 times
Big warm up mid month but it seems to be favoring the Central and Northern Plains as well as the West.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:24 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Unbelieveable

Raging snowstorm happening north of me. Nuts. 988mb Storm over Nantucket

Snowfall totals

https://twitter.com/NWSEastern/statu...21577407697172
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather