Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times

Advertisements

This can be a thread about anything to do with overcast weather.

For myself I feel like talking about when it does or doesn't annoy me.
It seems to me that I don't mind dark days as long as I'm still as warm as I'm expecting to be... Usually it does not work out that way.

For summertime, I don't mind it as long as the air doesn't cool me...
So anything above 75 F is fine, but any highs below 75 F without sun are gross, like today.

I suppose the same would go for other seasons, just as long as I'm at least as warm (if not warmer) than I'd expect for that time of year. In spring and fall, anything above 65 F would be good, and in winter, anything above 55 F would also be nice.

Australians: Is there any place that doesn't normally get overcast with the highs below 24 Celcius? That would be closer to my ideal climate.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 07-23-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
Ok....I like cold, overcast weather with snow showers . the only time Overcast annoys me is when it's above 80 and overcast, because that means the humidity levels are higher, and it makes it feel much hotter....other than that I love overcast days, especially freezing cold, windy overcast days

Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
I prefer overcast days when snow is on the ground. My least favorite cloudy days are those that are above 75F with high levels of humidity. Another advantage of cloudy days during the summer is that it keeps evaporation levels low and therefore everything stays green.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Another advantage of cloudy days during the summer is that it keeps evaporation levels low and therefore everything stays green.
Evaporation is lower with no sun, but instead of "keeping things green" it's encouraging mold.
We could use a bit of a dry-out, even if it was from sunny breaks.

How's the rain been in NH?
You're a lot farther east than me so maybe you summer hasn't been quite so soggy.

*The ground has been soggy here about 2/3'rds of June and July

Old 07-23-2008, 12:49 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
hey CC I know you didn't ask me, but summer here in FL has been unusually dry, it's more damaging here because we get more extreme heat then you do up there in Toronto. since we're a peninsula, we still have loads of humidity...it's been a hot, humid, dry summer, does that make sense?, lol

Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
In Southern CA we have this god awful weather pattern every year in late spring called "May Gray" and "June Gloom" that can bring days and just days of overcast skies, especially the closer the the coast you are. Some years are worse than others and some years there is none at all. But I remember the June of 2002 the sun only came out 4 days that entire month in San Diego, so much for that whole "sunny San Diego" crap.

Even though it's not cold or whatever, it's just sucks. If we are going to have mild and boring weather it might as well be sunny. But overcast and boring is just awful, I'd rather it rain that be overcast for weeks. May and June are pretty much the worst time of year for weather in coastal Southern CA when the rest of the country has great weather.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:03 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Evaporation is lower with no sun, but instead of "keeping things green" it's encouraging mold.
We could use a bit of a dry-out, even if it was from sunny breaks.

How's the rain been in NH?
You're a lot farther east than me so maybe you summer hasn't been quite so soggy.

*The ground has been soggy here about 2/3'rds of June and July
It is funny that you mentioned the rain. A good area of New England is under a Flood Watch. 2-4 inches of rain is expected in the next 24 hours with higher amounts possible.

So far this month we are running a bit above average at under 3 inches of rainfall. Last month was wetter than average, but only by 1 inch.

Temperatures so far this month are running 1.8F above normal and were 1.6F above normal in June.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
It's kind of ironic that you started a thread on overcast weather today because that's exactly what we've had all day.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Australians: Is there any place that doesn't normally get overcast with the highs below 24 Celcius? That would be closer to my ideal climate.
The tropics. But southern areas can have heat and overcast, really depends on the wind direction. I've seen temps of 42C here with overcast mid-level cloud and thick smoke.

When talking about thick low level stormy-looking material, I've had that at 35C before. The temperatures under overcast clouds in southern aus really depend on wind direction and the heat of the airmass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
In Southern CA we have this god awful weather pattern every year in late spring called "May Gray" and "June Gloom" that can bring days and just days of overcast skies, especially the closer the the coast you are. Some years are worse than others and some years there is none at all. But I remember the June of 2002 the sun only came out 4 days that entire month in San Diego, so much for that whole "sunny San Diego" crap.
May Grey and June Gloom is an invention of hell. Here it has been about as gloomy as humanely possible in May and June (and this month.....)

Quote:
Even though it's not cold or whatever, it's just sucks. If we are going to have mild and boring weather it might as well be sunny. But overcast and boring is just awful, I'd rather it rain that be overcast for weeks. May and June are pretty much the worst time of year for weather in coastal Southern CA when the rest of the country has great weather.
I have a feeling you'd HATE Melbourne then. Today is the first time I've seen the freaking sun in like 2 weeks. We have one of the cloudiest winters in the world outside of Great Britian and the Pacific Northwest This year has been the worst I've ever seen.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
It is funny that you mentioned the rain. A good area of New England is under a Flood Watch. 2-4 inches of rain is expected in the next 24 hours with higher amounts possible.

So far this month we are running a bit above average at under 3 inches of rainfall. Last month was wetter than average, but only by 1 inch.

Temperatures so far this month are running 1.8F above normal and were 1.6F above normal in June.
Must be from the same storm front we've been under for 2-3 days.

We are WAY above that.
Toronto is having a record amount of rain and is the wettest city in Canada for the months of June and July.

Sounds like you're having a great summer;
enough rain to keep things green but also enough warmth to keep you from staying too soggy.
(that's what I figured, am I right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather