Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,991 times

Advertisements

I've been living in a northern country with the 4 seasons for a few years now. Before coming here, I lived in countries with tropical, warm climates all year round. I HATE the weather here! It's only ideal for about 2 months, then it starts getting too cold for me. I've had to put up with it because I can't move or do anything about it for now, and everybody tells me I'm crazy to want to move just because of the weather, but it's something that really makes me miserable. If everything else was great where you lived (education, quality of life, etc.) but the weather was horrible, would you just look over it? I really do want to, but I can't stand the cold weather. I'm just starting university so I can't move to another country for the moment, but as soon as I graduate I plan on moving to a hot (or at least) mild country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 11:18 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
YES!! Weather is very important to me. That is the number one reason that I would like to relocate. Part of it is that I don't like our long, cold winters and I never have. I'm convinced I will never get use to them. Also, winter isn't kind to me physically or emotionally so that doesn't help me with my hatred for it. I absolutely dread the thought of cold and ice and snow and sub-zero temps being on the way again. It sounds like you feel the same way.

I cannot imagine how hard this is for you after living in a tropical climate. I love sub-tropical (never been in actual tropical), but I'd just be happy to live where it doesn't get this cold and snowy.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:24 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,919 times
I feel the same way. It's the opposite for me. Down here in south Texas everything is great. I love the city, family is here, job is great, etc. but I can't STAND the HOT weather. We have 4 seasons warm, hot, hotter, hottest, plus add humidity to that. That's why I'm moving to Colorado, but in 2010. If most people could move I think they would. My wife on the other hand doesn't seem to have weather affect her as much. My brother-in-law hates hot weather as well, but he's made a life here and so he just deals with it I guess.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,991 times
Jammie, exactly what I feel! Glad to see I'm not the only one. Argghh I know...to think winter is almost coming up...it just depresses me!

j96g, well...like they say...grass is always greener on the other side and we usually want the opposite of what we have, that is until you have it. I've lived in both kind of climates and I can say from experience that when I lived in warmer weather I always took it for granted and never thought about it until I came up here. Now I miss it and would do anything to go back and living in that kind of weather. Right now I envy you! I see you're from McAllen, TX, I used to live there! It is pretty hot there...but boy what I'd do to be in your place right now. Of course, there are people who enjoy cold weather and prefer it to hot, but I'm sure not one of those!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,919 times
Yeah I was born in Harlingen till about 2nd grade, then moved to Mission/Mcallen, but I've always loved cold weather. I wait for that first cold front that gives us lows in the 50s so I could open my window and sleep comfortably. I visited Colorado for a week in January and it was mostly in the ones? and low teens every morning and I had no problem, the only difference i noticed is when i got in the car, my clothes were "smoking" and felt cold, but I loved it!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,156 times
I'm the same as j96g, I have lived in Texas all my life and HATE the weather too. I am definitely relocating. Not sure how soon as we bought our first house last year... and I'm attached to it, and even if I weren't, it's certainly not the time to sell. Still, I wish I could pick it up and move it to some place with 4 seasons. I LIKE the cold. I've never ever adjusted to the heat. Just going outside with the dogs and to water the plants means a full half hour under the ceiling fan for me when I get back inside. Ugh.

I don't know what the relationship is, but in summer my sinus problems are 10x worse, my asthma acts up, and I get supremely lazy, energy drained. When we get our first "cold snap" here (around November usually), I'm a different person. It's like I'm suddenly ALIVE and energized!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,505,376 times
Weather is so important to me. I get distracted sometimes from my school work also. Hoping to become a meteorologist one day... Near future sounds better.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,957,701 times
^^
you sound like me

yes, weather is very important to me. I'm often caught daydreaming in class about being a meteorologist and living somewhere else colder and snowier , I know it's really corny

Old 07-28-2008, 03:48 AM

574 posts, read 1,305,972 times
The weather is great here, but i would not move to another place because of the weather! even though i would like it to snow here! Also i would like only max 20 days over 30 degrees celcius not 60 days ! lol.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
I love to be outdoors

I hate being cold
I don't mind being hot
I live in Canada
so 6-10 months a year I can't be outside as long as I'd like
(depending both on my mood and weather it's a warmer or colder year)

*It's never ever been "too hot" to go outside in my lifetime,
but we get 200+ days a year where it's at minimum kind of yucky to be outside because of cold, even with a good jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather