Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:05 AM

233 posts, read 333,624 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Beirut for two months before coming back to Germany.
Beirut has dry summers and rainy winters, mild year round. Summers are surprisingly not really hot compared to the region and the Mediterranean basin in general (32C on average in July and August). Turkey, Greece and Spain are for instance much hotter in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:09 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Nice. Does Europe have sabal palms?
I suppose yes, given that it's hardy to zones 7-8, but not in the UK as it needs heat. I'm not a palm buff so I can't say if I've seen one in the Med area. Maybe mar89 from Rimini can answer more precisely.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Heat... In the summertime, there's always a sign that says "Welcome to Hotlanta!"
I may sound nerdy and patronising here but "hotlanta" has nothing to do with temperatures apparently, but rather the night life and music scene.

Atlanta and the Nickname Hotlanta - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

In fact Atlanta is not particularly hot compared to other areas around it due to its altitude.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
This is more like how I notice Sydney to be like:

*Sunshine hours not too different (higher or lower) from month to month. Sunshine seems pretty steady all year round, maybe with the exception of June.

*Can get long running days of overcast weather or days with sunny weather (both which can get boring)

*If one month is bone dry, the next one will be overly wet. This pattern seems to go on.

*Foggy May/June mornings

*Windy and sunny springs

*Of course, no snow; mild winters

*Extremely hot summer days (maybe that's more suited for Melbourne, but it applies for Sydney too IMO)

Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
My area is known for it's settled, pleasant weather although will lose it's sunshine title to a bogus North Island town and their cheap and nasty new sunshine recorder (Fakertane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I suppose yes, given that it's hardy to zones 7-8, but not in the UK as it needs heat. I'm not a palm buff so I can't say if I've seen one in the Med area. Maybe mar89 from Rimini can answer more precisely.
The problem with Sabals in the UK, would be the shoulder seasons are too cold. They grow here with similar summers and are still able to make slow growth for much of spring/autumn, which I don't think would be the case in the UK. I haven't seen any on UK gardening forums.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I've never seen sabals in Italy, certainly they're not common palms.
What a pity, because I think they're beautiful. I want a sabal in my city!
They seem quite hardy too. We could probably grow them from my city towards south, and maybe also in the urban areas of the inner Po Plain.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,474,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
More like mild, sunny weather. L.A. isn't particularly known for being hot.

Tallahassee within the state is known for cold winter nights and hot summer days. Nation and worldwide probably known for hot, humid and stagnant summers (no "sea breeze" although the sea breeze is overblown by a lot of Floridiots, knocking the temp down from 92 F with 50% humidity to 88 F with 70% humidity doesn't constitute as a sea breeze. ) when there's a breeze on a summer day in coastal FL it doesn't feel refreshing, it feels like a giant ass fart blowing.
LA is not only coast, LA includes inland urban areas (Central/east LA) that average 80F a year (daily max), and Valleys that are 100F in summer and 80F average a year. Inland Empire and inland OC is also hot.

but other than that you are right the coast is mild, but coast makes up only a small part of LA.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Our weather is famous for various things depending where you are. By virtue of being in Canada, we are famous for ice, snow, and igloos from an American perspective. From most of the rest of Canada we are famous for being hot, dry, and sunny in the summer, and mild and dry in the winter. This allows for the growing of many soft fruits including grapes, peaches, and apricots. The truth of the matter is that despite our reputation as a sunny location, our actual hours of sunshine is below the Canada average (though we are one of the sunniest spots in the country in the warmest 6 months of the year).

Old 02-15-2014, 10:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Turku average weather provided by yours truly Ariete:

Spoiler

No, not really. Was just watching pictures from last summer. Come on, spring, do something!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
In the U.S., NYC isn't really famous for anything, except maybe coastal storms such as nor'easters and tropical cyclones (now), but these things aren't exclusive to NYC.

In other parts of the world, NYC's heat, humidity, cold, snow, etc. might be more famous than it is in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather