Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:52 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Okay the cold I can understand but who the hell would wan't it to be clouider and rainier, if that happened here I can't think of what people would do to themselves/
Moderator cut: Your sentence was removed Melbourne had 156 hours of sunshine in July, vastly more than any part of the UK would have in a midwinter month even allowing for daylength. Only a tiny fraction of NZ averages this much sun in July, and adjusting for daylength would change that very little.

Last edited by Jammie; 08-04-2009 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: removed sentence. Don't start again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Kansas City is very cold in winter,very hot in summer.Can be Very humid in spring and summer. Can be very windy. Severe storms, blizzards, tornadoes, microbursts, and unamaginable heavy rain. I think that Kansas City is one of the worst cities to live in weatherwise. Infact there was a rare microburst in KC very recently. The weather in Kansas can change just like that.
Of the cities I've lived in... I'd have to say Chicago.
Wickedly cold in the winter (first winter I spent there it hit -26F without wind chill) and horribly humid in the summer (except for this year when I visited and the weather was great).

Old 08-04-2009, 04:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Okay the cold I can understand but who the hell would wan't it to be clouider and rainier, if that happened here I can't think of what people would do to themselves/
Seems like virtually everyone who inhabits the Australian weather forums.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM

14,326 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I lived in NE Illinois for 60 years and I would not classify Chicago as the worst! I can think of many places I'd hate to be other than Chicago especially places where the weather is the same day after day for weeks on end! Boring!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I lived in NE Illinois for 60 years and I would not classify Chicago as the worst! I can think of many places I'd hate to be other than Chicago especially places where the weather is the same day after day for weeks on end! Boring!
You'd HATE Melbourne then.

Nothing but the same crappy stratocrapulous overcast and the same cold temps for 6-7 months at a time

Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 AM

33 posts, read 99,792 times
Putting temps aside the darkness of an Alaskan winter can be depressing. Although in Anchorage we don't suffer any period of complete darkness during the winter (the shortest day is probably about 5-6 hours of daylight) but it can be sad. We just covered the house with white lights to make it appear lighter. The neighbors probably hated it but you gotta do whatcha gotta do! The dryness can be a problem as well. Coming from the land of heat and humidity, my skin was in a state of shock for about a year after moving due to the severe dryness. I've learned to adapt and have become a bit of a lotion addict but that would be my only complaint about cold weather climates. It's not really a complaint though as I've learned to deal with this new life. Every city has pros and cons about it and Anchorage is no different but it is a very beautiful and unique place to live in and feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to live in such a place. I'm planning on moving to another city listed on this discussion (Chicago) and am excited about that as well. If I can live through an Alaskan winter and still have a smile on my face, then I think I'm ready for pretty much anything!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,738 times
I live in central Scotland. In winter its not too cold (average temp range of -2 ~ 5 degrees celcius) and in summer it ain't too hot (anything above 24 degrees is rare). Everyone always goes on about how its always raining. Check the average annual rainfall stats for Edinburgh - a lot lower than people would have you believe.
However the problem we have here is that the weather is so completely unpredictable. It makes it very difficult to organise family barbeques or any outdoor activity. And there are a lot of grey and dull days which can be a bit depressing.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:24 AM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The worst places are those that are at a southern non European latitude. I can't take harsh direct sunlight well at all. One must remember that London, England is located further north in latitude than any city in the lower 48 and much of southern Canada.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM

32 posts, read 82,621 times
The worst cities: London, Amsterdam. Hardly any sunshine from September to early April and partly cloudy from April to August. Just 1600 hours of sunshine a year. In Summer, it is only 22 degrees Celsius. And people are so stupid to complain when it is 25 degrees.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,087,797 times
Death Valley, Calif..
they call it Death for a reason!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather