Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
The absolute worst city to live in for weather? I think any places in which there is heat and high humidity for long stretches of the year would get my vote. When it is that hot and humid, walking outside is a risk because you can sweat and also overheat if you are not careful. It makes it impossible to spend hours outside unless you keep on drinking water quickly. Even with the water, once you return back to the house, you'll be fatigued. Some cities that fit the description I gave above are Miami FL and other subtropical climate regions. I could never understand why anyone would prefer to live in a subtropical climate with heat and humidity for long stretches of the year. That would be too much for me.
While hot and humid is not ideal, I can see why people might want to live there. While hot and humid is uncomfortable for doing streneous physical activity, in a breezy, shaded spot it is not bad. I see far more people outside on 90+ days (walking in town, sitting in outdoor restaurants) than i see on 60 degree days, let alone 40 or colder days. Relaxing or sitting outside is painful in the cold while just mildly irritating in the heat. After living in a hot climate, you adjust somewhat to the heat. I take it granted I'll sweat a bit in the summer, and just wash myself a bit more. Yes, I do agree heat and humidity can be exhausting. But I understand why people might take that for a few months over a few months of freezing temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:52 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Either Miami, Phoenix, or maybe San Diego. Extremely boring in their own respects.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM

114 posts, read 127,691 times
Phoenix would be terrible. 140 degrees almost daily from March-October.

Miami is 95 constantly with humidity well over 100 percent. Can't deal.

The only place that is accpetable would be San Diego. The temperature never goes over 75 and never drops under 65. My kind of place weatherwise.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Phoenix weather in July would be perfect if it lasted 12 months of the year....

Old 09-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Phoenix weather in July would be perfect if it lasted 12 months of the year....
I would go insane dealing with that all year.

Although it'd almost be a complete 180 from Vancouver.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,516 times
I wouldn't say that being outside in 85-100F and humidity for months is mildly irritating. That is more like putting yourself through a sauna where you would be dripping wet. I'd rather deal with cool temperatures in the 40s for instance because at least you can prepare for those conditions. There is no way to prepare for subtropical, humid conditions because what are you going to do? Go outside naked? Then you would be burned like a lobster. Plain and simple Miami weather is usually garbage. And it also has zero seasons because it is always warm to hot. BORING!!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I wouldn't say that being outside in 85-100F and humidity for months is mildly irritating. That is more like putting yourself through a sauna where you would be dripping wet. I'd rather deal with cool temperatures in the 40s for instance because at least you can prepare for those conditions. There is no way to prepare for subtropical, humid conditions because what are you going to do? Go outside naked? Then you would be burned like a lobster. Plain and simple Miami weather is usually garbage. And it also has zero seasons because it is always warm to hot. BORING!!
Amen. I always feel healthier and more comfortable on cooler days. During the summer I drip with sweat.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,886 times
Anywhere where it is cold, grey and drizzly year round with cool summers and a highly changeable climate (I am not a fan of the four-seasons-in-one-day climates).

Regions such as most of Ireland, NW Scotland, SW New Zealand and the sub Antarctic Islands.

To answer the original question, one of the worst cities I could think of would be Belfast, Northern Island or Edinburgh, Scotland (not sure which of these two is the worst)

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,823,253 times
Barrow-Miami

Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
SW New Zealand
Indeed. How does this strike you:

Milford Sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearly 7 m of rain per year and the temp rarely exceeds 20 C! At least it has nice scenery though.

I would say the sub-antarctic islands are the very worst climates on earth. As another poster mentioned, I'd rather live in Yakutsk than Campbell Island. Despite the fact that the former has probably the most severe winters of any city on earth (mean of -40 C in Jan) it also has reasonably warm summers and about 2200 sunshine hours per year. So you at least have a brief period of shorts and t-shirt weather every year.

Campell Island, on the other hand, is lucky to exceed 15 C / 60 F even on the warmest summer days. And it only gets about 600 sunshine hours per year. Although the winters are fairly mild, the constant drizzle, cloudiness and chilly summers make this place unsuitable for human habitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather