Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Indeed. How does this strike you:

Milford Sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearly 7 m of rain per year and the temp rarely exceeds 20 C! At least it has nice scenery though.

I would say the sub-antarctic islands are the very worst climates on earth. As another poster mentioned, I'd rather live in Yakutsk than Campbell Island. Despite the fact that the former has probably the most severe winters of any city on earth (mean of -40 C in Jan) it also has reasonably warm summers and about 2200 sunshine hours per year. So you at least have a brief period of shorts and t-shirt weather every year.

Campell Island, on the other hand, is lucky to exceed 15 C / 60 F even on the warmest summer days. And it only gets about 600 sunshine hours per year. Although the winters are fairly mild, the constant drizzle, cloudiness and chilly summers make this place unsuitable for human habitation.

I definitely could live on Campbell Island. It wouldn't be ideal by any means but I think I'd prefer it over Yakutsk. I just can't deal with -40C. I've dealt with it before and it's horrible. At least you're likely not to die of frostbite and hypothermia on Campbell. You could also probably garden there as the amount of frost days are few. In Yakutsk, you can get a frost even in the hottest part of the year which ruins everything. In addition, Yakutsk is built upon several metres of permafrost so that would be not only virtually impossible for gardening (which I love) but also would be hard to build anything there and create other infrastructure problems as the permafrost slowly melts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 12:46 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,873 times
OMAHA. It's terrible here. HOT and humid all summer and then cold windy and a bite in the air all winter because the humidity is still high. YUCK!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Indeed. How does this strike you:

Milford Sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearly 7 m of rain per year and the temp rarely exceeds 20 C! At least it has nice scenery though.

I would say the sub-antarctic islands are the very worst climates on earth. As another poster mentioned, I'd rather live in Yakutsk than Campbell Island. Despite the fact that the former has probably the most severe winters of any city on earth (mean of -40 C in Jan) it also has reasonably warm summers and about 2200 sunshine hours per year. So you at least have a brief period of shorts and t-shirt weather every year.

Campell Island, on the other hand, is lucky to exceed 15 C / 60 F even on the warmest summer days. And it only gets about 600 sunshine hours per year. Although the winters are fairly mild, the constant drizzle, cloudiness and chilly summers make this place unsuitable for human habitation.
Refer my article:

http://rupertwood.co.nz/articles/campbell_island.pdf

Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,018 times
I wouldn't want to live in Bergen, Norway. Less then 1200 hours of sunshine, with 88 inches (2250mm) of precipitation.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I wouldn't want to live in Bergen, Norway. Less then 1200 hours of sunshine, with 88 inches (2250mm) of precipitation.
The sun is however considerably affected by the steep hills, so the cloudiness is not as much as it might appear. There's a district in NZ's Nelson region where average rainfall ranges from 1500-2500mm depending on distance from the hills or coast, but it gets well over 2300 hours of sunshine on the coastal fringe.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
Buxton is pretty appalling, with 50" rain a year over about 200 days (mostly drizzle), 1,100 hours of sunshine, and cold summers (average summer high is 62°F).

I have low vitamin D levels and am now on a supplement. My doctor said "half the trouble is you live in Buxton. Maybe you would be OK if you moved to Africa or Australia but here you need supplements".

Old 09-18-2010, 06:17 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumandcoke View Post
Phoenix would be terrible. 140 degrees almost daily from March-October.

Miami is 95 constantly with humidity well over 100 percent. Can't deal.

The only place that is accpetable would be San Diego. The temperature never goes over 75 and never drops under 65. My kind of place weatherwise.
The hottest temperature recorded in Phoenix is 122 in 1990. The average high in March looks like around 75 degrees and October about 87 degrees. July looks the hottest with a little over 100. Not that close to 140. The hottest temperature recorded in the world was Africa at 136 degrees.

In San Diego the average high is over 75 for July, August, September and the beggining part of October. It's hit 111 degrees there. The average low is below 65 for Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Jun, Oct, Nov and Dec.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:11 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Buxton is pretty appalling, with 50" rain a year over about 200 days (mostly drizzle), 1,100 hours of sunshine, and cold summers (average summer high is 62°F).

I have low vitamin D levels and am now on a supplement. My doctor said "half the trouble is you live in Buxton. Maybe you would be OK if you moved to Africa or Australia but here you need supplements".
We need supplements in Toronto,
at the 43 N parallel and 2000 hrs of sunshine annually.
Can only imagine how bad Buxton would be.

Milk is fortified with vitamin D here, so are some juices.

I heard that some scientists believe that UV B is needed to produce vitamin D,
and vitamin D only exists when the the UV is 4 or higher.
Right now, Toronto's UV max is about 5, so we are good on a sunny day for another 2-3 weeks.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I definitely could live on Campbell Island. It wouldn't be ideal by any means but I think I'd prefer it over Yakutsk. I just can't deal with -40C. I've dealt with it before and it's horrible. At least you're likely not to die of frostbite and hypothermia on Campbell. You could also probably garden there as the amount of frost days are few. In Yakutsk, you can get a frost even in the hottest part of the year which ruins everything. In addition, Yakutsk is built upon several metres of permafrost so that would be not only virtually impossible for gardening (which I love) but also would be hard to build anything there and create other infrastructure problems as the permafrost slowly melts.
Campbell Island has extremely limited agricultural potential. About the only things that grow there are tussock and megaherbs. I'm not sure if it even has any trees (if it does they must be very stunted). Every month of the year averages below 10 C so it essentially has no growing season.The soil is very poor also.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
640 sunshine hours? 37% of days overcast?

If there's a cloudier place on earth I've yet to hear of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather