Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
We need supplements in Toronto,
at the 43 N parallel and 2000 hrs of sunshine annually.
Can only imagine how bad Buxton would be.

Milk is fortified with vitamin D here, so are some juices.

I heard that some scientists believe that UV B is needed to produce vitamin D,
and vitamin D only exists when the the UV is 4 or higher.
Right now, Toronto's UV max is about 5, so we are good on a sunny day for another 2-3 weeks.
Hmmm... my city is a pretty close match to Toronto sun-wise, but I've never heard of anyone taking supplements here. But I have heard that vitamin D deficiency has been linked to various cancers and numerous other health problems. I might need to consider taking supplements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
640 sunshine hours? 37% of days overcast?

If there's a cloudier place on earth I've yet to hear of it!
Campbell is pretty hopeless for growing anything other than what you listed. Record high is around 19-20C. The 14-day period when it managed 99 hours' sun was with an unusually long NE anticyclonic fetch.

Signy in South Orkney, around 60S, claims about 550 hours' sun, but I haven't seen a second reference to support it, and don't know how much daylight loss there is due to any hills.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... my city is a pretty close match to Toronto sun-wise, but I've never heard of anyone taking supplements here. But I have heard that vitamin D deficiency has been linked to various cancers and numerous other health problems. I might need to consider taking supplements.
I would suggest air pollution and individual health are significant factors. And in any city with a decent number of high buildings, you have to get into the more open spaces to get maximum advantage from the sun.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Campbell Island has extremely limited agricultural potential. About the only things that grow there are tussock and megaherbs. I'm not sure if it even has any trees (if it does they must be very stunted). Every month of the year averages below 10 C so it essentially has no growing season.The soil is very poor also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Campbell is pretty hopeless for growing anything other than what you listed. Record high is around 19-20C. The 14-day period when it managed 99 hours' sun was with an unusually long NE anticyclonic fetch.

Signy in South Orkney, around 60S, claims about 550 hours' sun, but I haven't seen a second reference to support it, and don't know how much daylight loss there is due to any hills.
Well, as I said, Campbell Island certainly wouldn't be anywhere close to ideal but the climate is not the worst one there is in my opinion. It barely qualifies as a temperate climate as it averages 10C in its warmest month:
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Campbell Island, New Zealand

I'm sure tree species and plants from Tierra del Fuego would do quite well on Campbell as the environments are somewhat similar. You could probably grow most species native to Tierra del Fuego in addition to any arctic species from the Northern Hemisphere. There are several species of berries that grow in the tundra of Northern Canada.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I would suggest air pollution and individual health are significant factors. And in any city with a decent number of high buildings, you have to get into the more open spaces to get maximum advantage from the sun.

The other half of the reason I personally have vit D deficiency is because I have Coeliac disease and therefore malabsorption. Living in this climate doesn't help as most VitD is meant to come from the sun away...

Old 09-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well, as I said, Campbell Island certainly wouldn't be anywhere close to ideal but the climate is not the worst one there is in my opinion. It barely qualifies as a temperate climate as it averages 10C in its warmest month:
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Campbell Island, New Zealand

I'm sure tree species and plants from Tierra del Fuego would do quite well on Campbell as the environments are somewhat similar. You could probably grow most species native to Tierra del Fuego in addition to any arctic species from the Northern Hemisphere. There are several species of berries that grow in the tundra of Northern Canada.
Well, the 2 warmest months average 9.6C, so some rounding there. You're welcome to it - I'd even rather see some Antarctic sunshine. Despite the storminess it has recorded as little as 1.3 hours' sun in a winter month.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,543 times
Definitly someplace like Singapore near the equator with NO variety of weather. High of 88 low of 77 with a chance of showers or t-storms every afternoon. No mid-latitude cyclones to keep things interesting, no fronts, just in the middle of a tropical airmass all the freaking time. I think Singapore might have the lowest difference of any city worldwide between the all time high and all time low temps.

After about 6 months that would totally drive me insane.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
How does Campbell Island compared to the Aluetians? I think the Aluetians might be worse. Trees can't grow there either, but the winter temperatures are colder, though the summers are similar. I found 250 rainy days for Unalaska in the Aluetian Island days. And 305 cloudy days for the year in nearby Cold Bay. And 11 (!) clear days.

I won't mind living in a climate like Singapore's if it were slightly cooler. Beach weather all year long. There's variety in rain or not rain. Salvador, Brazil sounds great. Summer 86/75, winter 81/70.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Definitly someplace like Singapore near the equator with NO variety of weather. High of 88 low of 77 with a chance of showers or t-storms every afternoon. No mid-latitude cyclones to keep things interesting, no fronts, just in the middle of a tropical airmass all the freaking time. I think Singapore might have the lowest difference of any city worldwide between the all time high and all time low temps.

After about 6 months that would totally drive me insane.
Funny, the exact reasons why you would hate living in Singapore are the reasons I would love living in Singapore. I love hot weather and the less variety of weather for me, the better.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How does Campbell Island compared to the Aluetians? I think the Aluetians might be worse. Trees can't grow there either, but the winter temperatures are colder, though the summers are similar. I found 250 rainy days for Unalaska in the Aluetian Island days. And 305 cloudy days for the year in nearby Cold Bay. And 11 (!) clear days.
Similar, although the Aleutians are generally somewhat colder but a lot sunnier and dryer. The Aleutians, on the whole, are actually incredibly sunny for their latitude (mostly averaging around the 2500 hours per annum mark).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather