Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 12:38 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes, my bad you are right but very few if any people live that far south. An exception would be Punta Arenas in Chile which is at 53S and has 120,000 people. I imagine it must be very gloomy there. All the subantarctic islands which are pretty much uninhabited (for good reason) would definitely be among the gloomiest if not the gloomiest places in the world.
Actually Punta Arenas is partly in the Patagonia rainshadow and while rather cold, averages only 425mm rainfall. You have to go further round to the southwestern flanks of Chile and the southern Andes to get the higher rainfalls and gloomier skies. Punta Arenas averages about 1900 hrs/annum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Actually Punta Arenas is partly in the Patagonia rainshadow and while rather cold, averages only 425mm rainfall. You have to go further round to the southwestern flanks of Chile and the southern Andes to get the higher rainfalls and gloomier skies. Punta Arenas averages about 1900 hrs/annum.
Yes, Punta Arenas is partly protected from the rain for sure. I guess that's lucky for them I wasn't sure about the overall cloudiness though (I guess it was my false assumption) as sometimes places with little precipitation can seem exceedingly cloudy without much rain actually falling. I did read somewhere I think, correct me if I am wrong that Punta Arenas is one of the windiest cities in the world.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,466,263 times
Southern Ocean and adjacent waters have some of the strongest winds on Earth. Winds circle Antarctica and there are few landmasses to slow them down.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Seattle is not cold and rainy the entire year...where did you come up with that?
I asked myself the same question.

Seattle was actually very hot and dry this summer. Temperatures in the 80s, 90s, and even a few 100s for several days. I think typical summers are sunny and pleasant though.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:41 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Yes, I live in nearby Vancouver, BC and we get the same reputation. Our summers are typically drier than most other cities in Eastern Canada and in some years there are near drought conditions. I guess it's the length of the rainy season which throws some people off who haven't spent much time here but it's really a misnomer.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:20 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,602,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes, I live in nearby Vancouver, BC and we get the same reputation. Our summers are typically drier than most other cities in Eastern Canada and in some years there are near drought conditions. I guess it's the length of the rainy season which throws some people off who haven't spent much time here but it's really a misnomer.
Which just goes to show that ignorant parochialism can lead people to believe things that are not just incorrect, but laughably wrong. Seattle-to-Vancouver is not one of the relatively sunnier regions of North America, but managing 1900+ hours of annual sun is a better result than that from a large swathe of northern Europe and northen Asia, as well as some parts of the tropical zones.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,804 times
Moderator cut: quote and sentence removed

Anyway just to add that I would have thought that to most people the worst climates are ones that are too far one extreme or the other, and therefore expensive in terms of heating/cooling. Anywhere with a very hot climate or very cold climate.

In that case most people would be better off with a warm temperate climate or Mediterranean climate like southern Italy or such like.

I personally like change and variation so a continental climate with every kind of weather and unpredictable temperatures would be the absolute best best best.

Last edited by Jammie; 09-27-2009 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: quote/sentence removed

Old 09-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Richard, you might like NYC then. We have all kinds of weather - cold and snow in the winter, heat and humidity in the summer, an everything else in between. Extreme temperatures (below -15C or above 38C) are rare, though.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 PM

366 posts, read 596,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I asked myself the same question.

Seattle was actually very hot and dry this summer. Temperatures in the 80s, 90s, and even a few 100s for several days. I think typical summers are sunny and pleasant though.
Yes, Seattle broke their all-time record high this summer.

I was in Bruges, Belgium in July and the weather was pretty miserable. It was cool and cloudy with the occasional downpour. People were dressed in fall/winter clothes, in the middle of July. Maybe I was just there at a bad time?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Photo essay about Norilsk - an isolated city in northern Siberia:
russiamagazine: PHOTO ESSAY OF THE WEEK: NORILSK, AN ARCTIC OASIS

brrr! puts our winters in perspective!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather