Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate suits you best?
Climate 1 0 0%
Climate 2 2 8.70%
Climate 3 4 17.39%
Climate 4 3 13.04%
Climate 5 8 34.78%
Climate 6 4 17.39%
Climate 7 2 8.70%
Climate 8 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

In a virtually tree-less environment (scatterd palms?) and no buildings over one-story tall
I think I would enjoy climate 7's man-made temps,
provided cloud cover was very scarce so 4000+ hours of direct annual sunshine,
sustained wind so light, it's direction is barely detectable.

*and some "man-made" sunburn/cancer-proof skin to match this climate

Today's weather made me think I could like this:

completely cloudless skies,
it was about 60 F at 9 am,
a high of 70 F
nearly-no wind, gusts so light they're barely detectable
overnight low forecast somewhere in the mid 50's F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 05:22 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Climate 2 looks interesting....

Even though January is 20+ degrees colder than either Feb or Dec and August is 15 degrees warmer than July which is really odd....but interesting....lol.
It's not that far-fetched of a climate. Like I said, with the correct geographic characteristics and lat/lon and continental proportions, it would be possible on Earth. Just not at the present time.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
It's not that far-fetched of a climate. Like I said, with the correct geographic characteristics and lat/lon and continental proportions, it would be possible on Earth. Just not at the present time.
I know it's not that far-fetched of a climate...but what I've noticed that in extreme continental climates (that climate seems like an extreme version of Verkhoyansk) is that seasons change very quickly.....meaning that August is usually much cooler than July and June almost as warm as July.....and in winter December is nearly as cold as January and Feb is much warmer than Dec/Jan. You should look at the averages for Verkhoyansk or Tok, Alaska...and you will see what I'm talking about.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I know it's not that far-fetched of a climate...but what I've noticed that in extreme continental climates (that climate seems like an extreme version of Verkhoyansk) is that seasons change very quickly.....meaning that August is usually much cooler than July and June almost as warm as July.....and in winter December is nearly as cold as January and Feb is much warmer than Dec/Jan. You should look at the averages for Verkhoyansk or Tok, Alaska...and you will see what I'm talking about.
A lot of people don't notice that. It's a result of (mainly) oceanic latency being much less for such places, and the altitude of the sun and daylength become relatively more important. It's also possible to note such variations in a reduced fashion in much less extreme climates, if you look at daily temperature averages. Even in my temperate maritime country, the "winter edge" months of June and August show a difference ranging from about +0.5C to -2.3C (June - August) depending on location.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
A lot of people don't notice that. It's a result of (mainly) oceanic latency being much less for such places, and the altitude of the sun and daylength become relatively more important. It's also possible to note such variations in a reduced fashion in much less extreme climates, if you look at daily temperature averages. Even in my temperate maritime country, the "winter edge" months of June and August show a difference ranging from about +0.5C to -2.3C (June - August) depending on location.
Exactly...here in the U.S, in a coastal city like NYC or Boston, February will be almost as cold as January, and August nearly as warm as July, while in an inland city like Minneapolis for example, December is often colder than February...and June and August are roughly equal while both months being cooler than July by a noticeable margin. I know this is the case around the world....usually if a city is close to a body of water they will have "seasonal lag" because it takes water a lot longer to cool off/warm up than it does over land.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,109 times
Southern hemisphere version:

Jan/Feb mean max 27-28C mean min 18C
July mean max 22C mean min 13C

Rainfall total preferred 250mm, no more than 500mm
No month > 60mm, precip days >= 1mm 40 or fewer per year

Sunshine minimum 2500 hrs, preferred 3000.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:02 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
I voted #4. Very cool summers without being ridiculously brutal in the winter.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:26 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Climate 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather