Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times

Advertisements

I can understand why OP hates very-high humidity.

There have been times where indoors at 25-27 C without A/C and it's very muggy,
we're all sitting inside and at one point all of us felt mildly over-heated and sticky,
so we opened the porch door to cool off and hopefully dry off... (23 C with a dewpoint of 21-23 C, calm winds)
All that happened is that we went from being "very-warm and sticky" to "chilled and still-sticky."

*What we should have done is turn in a fan to dry us off without getting too chilled,
as trying to get comfy by opening the door turned out to be a stupid idea; didn't really work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,239,973 times
I don't know how it is in Australia, but the subtropical regions in the U.S. are very comfortable during the winter months, mostly because of lower humidity.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,725,854 times
I would love to live in the subtropics.. heat, heat and MORE heat... bring it on.... temperate climates are way overrated....

Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,351,859 times
I live in a Subtropical Climate and our Winters aren't anything to brag about lol, they are warmer than the more Temperate/Continental areas but I'd still love to have warmer Winters, 65-80 degree highs would be the ideal Winter for me.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:21 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,023,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I live in a Subtropical Climate and our Winters aren't anything to brag about lol, they are warmer than the more Temperate/Continental areas but I'd still love to have warmer Winters, 65-80 degree highs would be the ideal Winter for me.
Don't you live near New York? That is not what I'd call a subtropical climate. Far from it. South Texas, Louisiana, Florida, those are "subtropical climates".

Old 11-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Don't you live near New York? That is not what I'd call a subtropical climate. Far from it. South Texas, Louisiana, Florida, those are "subtropical climates".
Yeah, it technically is a Subtropical climate but its near the Northern Boundary, our Winter highs are typically in the 40's-60's while Summer's highs are typically in the 80's-100's. I wouldn't say its far from Subtropical but I wouldn't say its the poster child for the climate either lol.

Don't get me wrong I can't wait to live around the Southern Boundary of this climate.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,725,854 times
Back to the old.... what is Subtropical debate again... I don't think NYC has a subtropical climate anymore than London, UK and Vancouver, BC have... (average January temps are warmer than NYC)...
for me the winters are most important... I love heat.. but I love warm winters even more.... so that's the most important thing for me... if I could never see another snowflake for as long as I live... I'd be giddy with happiness...

Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,239,973 times
Although New York is technically in a subtropical climate, I really wouldn't consider it that. Average highs between December and February are in the upper 30s and lower 40s. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, etc. are truly subtropical.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Back to the old.... what is Subtropical debate again... I don't think NYC has a subtropical climate anymore than London, UK and Vancouver, BC have... (average January temps are warmer than NYC)...
for me the winters are most important... I love heat.. but I love warm winters even more.... so that's the most important thing for me... if I could never see another snowflake for as long as I live... I'd be giddy with happiness...
Its not a debate, technically it is Subtropical but some people feel different. If I remember correctly London & Vancouver couldn't be classified as Subtropical because their Summers aren't warm enough. I don't think places like NYC should be include with places like Orlando but I also think it shouldn't be included with places like Chicago or Minneapolis either. I feel there's 2 Subtropical Climates:

Warm Winter Subtype:
New Orleans, Orlando, Houston, etc.

Cool Winter Subtype:
Louisville, Washington DC, New York City, etc.

This is just my definition, I honestly don't care what the classification is, I just want to live in a place with warmer Winters, I feel the exact same way as you, I love heat, I love warm Winters, I never want to experience snow again (although I barely experience snow as it is).

I feel the Subtropical climate is better than the Temperate climate, I need warm Winters & hot Summers.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Its not a debate, technically it is Subtropical but some people feel different. If I remember correctly London & Vancouver couldn't be classified as Subtropical because their Summers aren't warm enough. I don't think places like NYC should be include with places like Orlando but I also think it shouldn't be included with places like Chicago or Minneapolis either. I feel there's 2 Subtropical Climates:

Warm Winter Subtype:
New Orleans, Orlando, Houston, etc.

Cool Winter Subtype:
Louisville, Washington DC, New York City, etc.

This is just my definition, I honestly don't care what the classification is, I just want to live in a place with warmer Winters, I feel the exact same way as you, I love heat, I love warm Winters, I never want to experience snow again (although I barely experience snow as it is).

I feel the Subtropical climate is better than the Temperate climate, I need warm Winters & hot Summers.
I was visiting New Orleans in late October, most of days had many daylight hours that were "quite cool"...
I'd hesitate calling it a "warm winter" sub-type, especially with an average January high of 62 F.
I wouldn't argue with Corpus Christi and southwards or Gainesville FL southwards as "warm winter" though.

How about three sub-tropical sub-types: ()

-Warm winter; coolest monthly avg. high still 66-79 F (southern South TX, central FL)
-Cool winter; coolest monthly avg. high 56-65 F (lower Deep South, northern South TX, southern west & central TX)
-Moderately-cold; coolest months 55 F or lower (anywhere northward that still isn't quite cold enough for snow to be "normal")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather