Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Haven't talked to daughter in Orlando, but she said, yesterday, it might snow overnight. I think she would have called if they got any...Crazy Global Warming at work again...

Nita
Sometimes it really looks like that all of the Republicans failed High School, not just science class. Global warming does cause extreme weather. Now we have one coldwinter, and all the Repubs forgot about the record summers we've been having. Way to go.
Ask your grandparents. They had winters like this all the time in the 30's.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Oh, my...

"there is a very real difference between weather (what we feel outside on any given day) and climate (the study of weather over a long period of time)."

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...r-climate.html

Oh yes! All that documentation and the pesky details of decades of research, supposedly disproved by one measly January....
good lawdy, our educational standards are waaaay too low.
ya just can't fix stupid...

Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Sometimes it really looks like that all of the Republicans failed High School, not just science class.

Good point, but truth be told, stupid knows no bounds, although it does tend to pool in certain spots!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,649 times
For God's sake climate has ALWAYS changed. Of course people generations ago would say weather patterns were different. Climate changes naturally from year to year/decade to decade! It ALWAYS has. Centuries, millenia, tens of thousands of years, heck in that time period much of the planet has been covered in ice all the way through to sub-tropical nearly as far as England, and back again!

If you think 200 odd years of data or so is anything like enough to prove a baseless argument on man influencing the climate, based mostly on conjecture and even lies and corruption (as plenty of recent evidence has unearthed) then YOU are the bloody stupid one.

I wish you crazy global warming agenda parasites would go hang with your pseudo-scientific preaching and insulting comments directed at those who can actually see through this scammy pile of old toss, which is the crap that man is somehow dramatically making the planet warm up. So called "carbon emissions" et al. have NOT been proven to be a direct cause of ANY weather pattern swings/temperature increases; any correlation as of yet depicted is merely CO-INCIDENTIAL until PROVEN by those who perhaps are NOT corrupt and out to create an agenda for themselves and tell people how to live their lives.

NO, DRAMATIC weather swings from year to year are NOT because of "global warming", they are because of macro-scale synoptic variations in weather and climate that have naturally occurred for THOUSANDS of years. Get real bellalunatic and all the other stupid people on here.

So for the last 200 odd years where man's been able to measure climate, it has warmed up. The planet has been through hundreds of different cycles of "warming up" and "cooling down", whether over a scale of some decades or millenia; and doubtless in most cases long before man was around to give a whatsit.

Stupid doesn't know any bounds; you lot are the real proof of it. Go get real.

Last edited by RichardW; 01-09-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
My wife and I both have jobs and are doing well, so therefore the economy is great.

Makes sense right?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
For God's sake climate has ALWAYS changed. Of course people generations ago would say weather patterns were different. Climate changes naturally from year to year/decade to decade! It ALWAYS has. Centuries, millenia, tens of thousands of years, heck in that time period much of the planet has been covered in ice all the way through to sub-tropical nearly as far as England, and back again!
That's a straw man argument. No one is saying that climate has not changed naturally in the past. Everyone is well aware of that.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
My wife and I both have jobs and are doing well, so therefore the economy is great.

Makes sense right?
Whether the economy is "great" or not, has no direct connection to whether you and your wife individually have jobs, just like whether the global temperature is increasing has no direct connection with how cold or hot this particular month happens to be. There are far too many variations. Work it out.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
That's a straw man argument. No one is saying that climate has not changed naturally in the past. Everyone is well aware of that.
No it is not a "straw man argument". Current "climate change" is just a continuation of the naturally changing climate, right here and now; with no evidence to show a DIRECT connection between carbon emissions and warming. NONE. That is where my argument leads on to. Clearly you haven't the capacity to work it out, and have to resort to petty insults regarding my argument.

I find it especially hypocritical that some idiot can call my argument "straw man" or whatever other BS you think, when the global warming camp themselves, right down to "expert's" proven meddled-with GW statistics are so full of corruption, exaggeration and conjecture, all to keep their little band-wagon rolling along.

To the next person who bothers me with their so called "scientifically based" MM-GW alarmist crap; I dare you to actually find, and show me those bits which directly proves man's direct influence on any temperature rises in the last 30-50 or more years. I dare you. Of course, you are gutless agenda following cowards who know absolutely stink all. HA. What a surprise. You don't have the info; you have no argument; so before attacking others as having failed education, go sort your bloody facts out!!

Last edited by RichardW; 01-09-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Global warming is BS. The climate is always changing no matter what. humans have nothing to do with it. There has always been climate change, since way before the industrial revolution. Theres nothing we can do about it. Get over it people.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,613 times
Of course man-made global warming is real! Just look at the heat generated in this thread.....
I've been around long enough to have had a ringside seat in numerous global controversies but have seldom seen one that has been so emotional or acrimonious as this one.
"Global Warming" "Climate Change" "Global Whining(?)" Buzz words guaranteed to evoke heated responses from the faithful on either side of the arguement. For those interested on how I come down on the issue I offer this:

Either we are warming up or we are not. If we are not, then we can go on pretty much as we are now but we would still need to address the issue of too many people using too little resource. That, though, is for another forum.

But if we are warming up, then it is either through natural causes or is caused entirely - or in part - by something we humans are doing.

If we are warming up through natural causes then we're stuck. There isn't anything we can do about it and maybe we shouldn't try.

But....If we are warming up through human agency, then we have the obligation to remedy whatever it is we're doing to cause the temperature rise.

That little descision matrix I set up tells me that we have 25% chance that global temperatures are rising and we are the cause. The two either-or statements above yield that conclusion. The actual odds are probably different and may not be as high, but as old as I am I think it prudent for me (at least) to err on the side of caution. Another way of saying I assume human agency is the cause and we should do something to mitigate the effects. In any case looking at this in the light of assessing odds relieves me of the onus of knowing (or even caring) if we are warming up, cooling off or staying roughly the same.

Please note, I am not saying one side or the other is right.

If we implement all those global warming mitigation suggestions scientists say we should - and which would admittedly risk tossing our global economy right into the loo........And come to find out we had nothing to do with our presently erratic climate, then we are merely spent a gob of money unnecessarily. That could be bad (or maybe not; some pollution control and decoupling ourselves from the hydrocarbon economy would be a good thing).......

But if so, it's not nearly the same level of bad as if we were to do nothing and the "Global Warming" fans were right after all. In this case, the consequenses of inaction are too terrible to contemplate.....FV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather