Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Don't you think nei's statement(s) where ridiculous?
Why were my statements ridiculous?

I get your Northern Irish are British, but aren't they also Irish from living on the island of Ireland? I thought it was a bit ridiculous how big of a deal it was to owenc.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland [note the name]. So you are Irish, a resident of Ireland. By definition, you can't be British, British refers to the residents of the island of Great Britain.

Read it. It says United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. There's a reason why Great Britain and Northern Ireland are listed separately. You're obviously from the latter part, so you're Irish not British or more specifically Northern Irish.
There isn't an island called Great Britain. Great Britain was born in 1707 as a union of England (including Wales) and Scotland. The name of the group of islands are the British Isles, which includes Ireland, Shetland and thousands of other islands.

The term British may be misleading, as there's no such ethnic group. The ethnic groups are English, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish and so on. The residents of Northern Ireland are most usually of English, Scottish or Irish descent, or all of them.

And the official name of that nation is since 1801 The United Kingdom, and Northern Ireland has been an integral part of the Kingdom since then. Before 1801 Ireland as a whole was a separate realm under the English crown. That's the reason why NI is named separately on the passport.

But the nationality is British, if you have a UK passport. If you have a British identity, then you are British. Therefore owenc is British, living in Northern Ireland. I'm not sure, but I don't think there's a specific Northern Irish ethnic group.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
There isn't an island called Great Britain. Great Britain was born in 1707 as a union of England (including Wales) and Scotland. The name of the group of islands are the British Isles, which includes Ireland, Shetland and thousands of other islands.
Well, wikipedia says there's an island called Great Britain:

Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2013, 06:14 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:

I get your Northern Irish are British, but aren't they also Irish from living on the island of Ireland? I thought it was a bit ridiculous how big of a deal it was to owenc.
A friend of mine who did a tour over there with the Army has told me how crazy it is - best just to keep out of it and leave them to do their thing, i.e. riot every other week over a flag or over stuff that happened 300 years before they were born. In a sense I actually find it comforting that even in northern Europe in 2013, home to the most pu$$ified societies that ever lived, there are still people around that still have a bit of fire in their bellies

Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You are wasting your time arguing with an american over that. They are uneducated and always take the irish side always.
Owen, truly, I'm always amazed to discover that your C-D account hasn't been indefinitely suspended (but don't get me wrong, I rather enjoy your orneriness ).

Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
A friend of mine who did a tour over there with the Army has told me how crazy it is - best just to keep out of it and leave them to do their thing, i.e. riot every other week over a flag or over stuff that happened 300 years before they were born. In a sense I actually find it comforting that even in northern Europe in 2013, home to the most pu$$ified societies that ever lived, there are still people around that still have a bit of fire in their bellies
I live in northern ireland and i have never ever seem a bomb, gunshot or riot.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Well, wikipedia says there's an island called Great Britain:

Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok, yes, right. You're correct. But it doesn't change anything, as The British Isles includes the island of Ireland.

Let's take me as another example. My passport says I'm of Finnish nationality. I have also a Finnish identity. My ethnic group is Finland Swedish. (Dubious if it's regarded as a separate ethnic group or just a linguistic minority.) But just like the reasons Owen isn't Irish, I'm not Swedish. I don't have a Swedish passport or any possibilities to gain one, neither have I a Swedish identity, and I've never lived in Sweden.

Or a American Japanese with a US passport and who considers himself American, he is. You can't tell them "NO! You are Japanese and not American".

Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Great Britain is an Island. People from Great Britain are British thats very simple. But there is a group of Islands of Northwestern Europe called the British Isles which includes many islands including Ireland and Great Britain. People from Ireland in a sense are British because they live in the British Isles. This means that Northern Irish people can argue and say their naturally British just like people from the Island of Great Britiain. But because of political reasons people from the Republic of Ireland don't consider themselves British. Owen is in all his right, though sometimes he gets things very wrong () in this case he's right and I think you people are just trying to act all high and mighty.
So Northern Irish people are British under citizenship but because Northern Ireland is located in the Briths isles there also British naturally anyway (again people can argue that as well)

Oh and people from Northern Ireland are called ''ulster scots'' they have their own culture, dialect

Quote:

Because you were trying to talk about something you don't really understand.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:53 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Are you serious? How old are you 14? Hypocrites and you talk down to owen?

Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No offence but you know absolutely nothing about us.
Northern Ireland is technically in the UK, which is what I said, so pack it in you little twerp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather