Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I do agree that many places have the AC turned down too low. But initially, the coolness feels good after being outside on a hot day. But if you're in it for hours, it could start getting slightly uncomfortable (that is if you're dressed in "summer clothing").
I agree it might feel nice initially,
but I start getting uncomfortable after 5-10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 05:17 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Humid heat's better, if you can cope with it HOT and humid you know you're a real man.
we are being broiled right now in a sauna i can tell you it realy sux.. we are in for a long slow broiling season and it's the first day of hurricane season tomorrow i wish it would snow right now in the caribbean

Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I agree it might feel nice initially,
but I start getting uncomfortable after 5-10 minutes.
Usually it feels worse for me at first, because my body is used to heat and no longer used to the sensation of cold since it's summer.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Usually it feels worse for me at first, because my body is used to heat and no longer used to the sensation of cold since it's summer.
True, the initial shock is weird...
But still, I find sitting in a restaurant I'm definitely more uncomfortable after 20 minutes than after the first 5 minutes.

To me, "cold A/C" in a restaurant is as unpleasant as being sprayed continuously with a garden-hose.

Sometimes I order hot drinks, like hot chocolate or hot tea... simply to improve my comfort within the restaurant.
This sometimes gets me funny looks when it's already hot outside.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
But even being a cold weather lover, if I had to choose between working in the two extremes, I would choose hot weather. 90s, or even 100 F is very uncomfortable, but below zero is no picnic. I'm pretty sure I was in the beginning stages of frost bite last year and it was quite painful.
People seem to come out outside more in the heat in general. I see lots of people walking outside in parks, downtowns of cities and towns when it's in the high 80s and 90s but not so much when it's 30 degrees out. I think more people come out outside when it's in the 80s than when it's in the 60s.

Probably once it gets super-hot people head back inside, but I don't live in a place that gets super hot often. Though I saw lots of people the day it went to 97, though it was evening (had cooled down to about 90 by then).

Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM

177 posts, read 432,239 times
heat is heat. but there are some variances depending on humidity levels and cloud cover. It all depends on what you prefer. Do you prefer being sticky or do you prefer being dry. IN AZ you need lots of lotion and chapstick. And those who say you dont sweat, you do. You could just stand outside for 5 minutes and start sweating, whereas you have to be doing something to start sweating in humid heat. When its humid you sweat buckets, when its hot you sweat buckets and still get dehydrated. I prefer humid heat because i like 95 and 75 percent humidity rather than 115 and 13 percent humidity. But in phoenix, ou humid season, normally july through september, van potentially bring up to 70 percent humidity and you would still have an actual high of 110. Thats heck on earth.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Yesterday afternoon was in the upper 70s to around 80, but it was very humid and sticky out. But today is a bit warmer with temps in the mid to upper 80s with lower humidity. I'll take today over yesterday.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times
Dry heat would be better, because at least it would feel much nicer once the sunset, and you'd have nice mornings. If you are in humid heat, that stays with you to the night as well, and you can't really enjoy evenings with all those bugs out. I lived in humid all my life and only experienced dry heat for a week in Pueblo, CO and found the high 90s more tolerable, but felt like a nice exchange for those low 50s in the fresh mornings.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM

I don't usually mind humidity but the sweat inducing part of heat that I dislike may be more due to humidity than heat.

I think the sweatiness I get from exercise is more from humidity rather than heat. I got soaked from sweat this morning biking to work when it was only about 68°F. I was confused why I was so sweaty from not hot weather until I checked the weather and found that the dewpoint was 67°F (relative humidity almost 100%). On the way home, I didn't feel sweatier from the 85°F heat with a 57°F dewpoint

Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't usually mind humidity but the sweat inducing part of heat that I dislike may be more due to humidity than heat.

I think the sweatiness I get from exercise is more from humidity rather than heat. I got soaked from sweat this morning biking to work when it was only about 68°F. I was confused why I was so sweaty from not hot weather until I checked the weather and found that the dewpoint was 67°F (relative humidity almost 100%). On the way home, I didn't feel sweatier from the 85°F heat with a 57°F dewpoint
A sustained fast heart-rate can make you sweat too.
If I want to, I can sweat more in a 70 F gym during winter than walking for an hour in the sun, on a day with a heat index of 110 F.

But even moderate sustained activity,
like outdoor ice-skating at 18 F for 40 minutes at a quick pace...
my fingers were sweating in my gloves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather