Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,406,296 times

Advertisements

Sorry in advance, as this is going to be long. And while this is a wedding issue, it is also a dealing with divorce issue and dealing with people not getting along, so I went with "relationships" in general, hoping to get perspective of those who have been through stuff like this at other events, not just weddings.

My fiancee and I are getting married in his hometown. We are having the wedding at a church and the reception at his sister's house. His sister has recently remarried (luckily we all love the new guy) but the issue is her ex husband. My fiancee grew up with this person in his life and married to his sister, in fact my fiancee was 12 when they got married and is 38 now (There is a 14 year age difference between my fiancee and his sister). The divorce was nasty and as a result, the sister does not want the ex-husband at the wedding or the reception. I understand this, and my fiancee said that he did, but he also feels that at his wedding, he should be able to invite those he wants there and that if any one at the wedding has issues with anyone else, they can deal as it is a wedding. (We are in the process of the final guest list, so this all just came up today)

I see both sides. And it is difficult for me, as I have only known the ex-husband as the problematic ex-husband, as the divorce was in process when I met my fiancee. My impression of the ex is not all that positive, although I am aware I met him at one of the low points of his life, so I am willing to say that as things change (he is also remarried) then I may see more of him that I can appreciate. It has been 3 years, (but the divorce was REALLY nasty) so to me, there is no emotional connection either way, as the divorce was over about 6 months after the fiancee and I got together and before I met the sister or the ex. Hence most of the issue I am having is I really don't know the guy, and having him there would be for my fiancee to have him there, but would also irritate his sister. So, part of me says I should tell his sister she can deal, but it is her brother's wedding, so she should get to enjoy it. and both of them seem to be expecting me to really care and decide for them, if that makes sense. The whole "well, its the bride's day let her decide". I have seen the ex at other events, and while he and the sister avoid one another, there were no issues. In fact their son was recently married, and they managed to even pose in the same pictures.

My fiancee looks at this man as an older brother. His sister sees him as a nightmare. The reception is at her house, which gives her say...but at the same time, we are paying for the entire reception and were initially going to have it somewhere else, but she REALLY wanted to have it at her house, and in fact started painting and cleaning, and sending us photos, to show how much she wanted it to be at her house. Said she feels like the location is her gift to us. (And it is a really nice location) Which makes my fiancee say we should be able to use the gift as we wish and invite the ex.

Part of me wants to invite him to just the wedding and not the reception, as his sister will likely be at the house preparing for the reception (again she volunteered for this, says she wants to do it) but there really is no nice way to say "Come to the actual wedding then make yourself scarce" and it isn't like everyone wouldn't see him there and know who he was. So, we either invite him or not, but to both.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Does anyone have one of those wands they use in the Men In Black movies I can borrow to get rid of someone's memory?

Last edited by thebunny; 06-17-2012 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,775,977 times
My advice is to not invite him to the wedding. The feelings of the groom's family are important, and the last thing you want is awkwardness and painful interactions. The focus is too easily deflected from the happy event to family tensions and drama, so do whatever you can to avoid that!

Likely the uncle in law is not itching to come either. I suggest you do something with him (take him out for a nice dinner before the wedding for example) so he feels part of the couple's happiness.

The polite rule for planning a wedding is to ensure good experiences for your guests--and do it on a hierarchy with immediate family at the top. Who (and how many) will be hurt if X happens, vs who (and how many) will be hurt if Y happens?

Weddings are for joining families, not just a creating a grand stage for the bride and groom.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 AM

11,402 posts, read 24,493,663 times
^ About as good an answer as you could ask for. Let the guys play golf together or whatever they like to, some other time; but keep the wedding drama-free.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,979,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Sorry in advance, as this is going to be long. And while this is a wedding issue, it is also a dealing with divorce issue and dealing with people not getting along, so I went with "relationships" in general, hoping to get perspective of those who have been through stuff like this at other events, not just weddings.

My fiancee and I are getting married in his hometown. We are having the wedding at a church and the reception at his sister's house. His sister has recently remarried (luckily we all love the new guy) but the issue is her ex husband. My fiancee grew up with this person in his life and married to his sister, in fact my fiancee was 12 when they got married and is 38 now (There is a 14 year age difference between my fiancee and his sister). The divorce was nasty and as a result, the sister does not want the ex-husband at the wedding or the reception. I understand this, and my fiancee said that he did, but he also feels that at his wedding, he should be able to invite those he wants there and that if any one at the wedding has issues with anyone else, they can deal as it is a wedding. (We are in the process of the final guest list, so this all just came up today)

I see both sides. And it is difficult for me, as I have only known the ex-husband as the problematic ex-husband, as the divorce was in process when I met my fiancee. My impression of the ex is not all that positive, although I am aware I met him at one of the low points of his life, so I am willing to say that as things change (he is also remarried) then I may see more of him that I can appreciate. It has been 3 years, (but the divorce was REALLY nasty) so to me, there is no emotional connection either way, as the divorce was over about 6 months after the fiancee and I got together and before I met the sister or the ex. Hence most of the issue I am having is I really don't know the guy, and having him there would be for my fiancee to have him there, but would also irritate his sister. So, part of me says I should tell his sister she can deal, but it is her brother's wedding, so she should get to enjoy it. and both of them seem to be expecting me to really care and decide for them, if that makes sense. The whole "well, its the bride's day let her decide". I have seen the ex at other events, and while he and the sister avoid one another, there were no issues. In fact their son was recently married, and they managed to even pose in the same pictures.

My fiancee looks at this man as an older brother. His sister sees him as a nightmare. The reception is at her house, which gives her say...but at the same time, we are paying for the entire reception and were initially going to have it somewhere else, but she REALLY wanted to have it at her house, and in fact started painting and cleaning, and sending us photos, to show how much she wanted it to be at her house. Said she feels like the location is her gift to us. (And it is a really nice location) Which makes my fiancee say we should be able to use the gift as we wish and invite the ex.

Part of me wants to invite him to just the wedding and not the reception, as his sister will likely be at the house preparing for the reception (again she volunteered for this, says she wants to do it) but there really is no nice way to say "Come to the actual wedding then make yourself scarce" and it isn't like everyone wouldn't see him there and know who he was. So, we either invite him or not, but to both.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Does anyone have one of those wands they use in the Men In Black movies I can borrow to get rid of someone's memory?
His sister needs to grow up and keep her distance from him as he attends the event.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:09 AM

442 posts, read 616,287 times
If the sister sees him as a nightmare I don't see why you would invite him. It doesn't seem as your fiancee has much empathy for his sister's feelings.

Yes, it is more complex that the reception is as her house, even though you are paying for everything.

My spouse and I both have siblings that are divorced. We could never see inviting the exes in this situation.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,790,966 times
You really can't invite him. You don't want your relationship with your new sister-in-law to start off on the wrong foot. If you invite the ex your day could be ruined by two very immature adults. Not worth the risk. Your husband will agree and back you up, if he doesn't you may want to reconsider your own choice in a spouse. Good Luck!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 AM

2,163 posts, read 4,345,388 times
The ex shouldn't be at the wedding/reception. The reception is at the sister's house and she is still family, while this guy is not. Inviting him could end up causing a family rift that lasts for years. The ex shouldn't even WANT to come. I know I sure as heck wouldn't put myself in this situation if I was him. Your husband and his buddy should have some respect for his sister. It's completely disrespectful to invite her ex.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
^ About as good an answer as you could ask for. Let the guys play golf together or whatever they like to, some other time; but keep the wedding drama-free.
This is the direction I am leaning, honestly. I just wanted other opinions to make sure I am not missing something due to my lack of personal feelings, and lack of personal relationship, toward the person in question, if that makes sense.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
If the sister sees him as a nightmare I don't see why you would invite him. It doesn't seem as your fiancee has much empathy for his sister's feelings.

Yes, it is more complex that the reception is as her house, even though you are paying for everything.

My spouse and I both have siblings that are divorced. We could never see inviting the exes in this situation.
He does have empathy for his sister. His issue is that he feels like his sister is requesting that he not invite someone who he feels is like a brother to him.

He is also, I think, frustrated because the sister is inviting the parents of the new husband (whom none of us have ever met...the parents, not the new husband) in order to make them feel included, according to her, as they are now part of the family...but expecting the ex to cut ties due to the divorce. *sigh*

Old 06-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
The ex shouldn't be at the wedding/reception. The reception is at the sister's house and she is still family, while this guy is not. Inviting him could end up causing a family rift that lasts for years. The ex shouldn't even WANT to come. I know I sure as heck wouldn't put myself in this situation if I was him. Your husband and his buddy should have some respect for his sister. It's completely disrespectful to invite her ex.
I agree. But I do also see why my fiancee wants him there, he grew up with him from the time he was 12, as a member of the family. They were married for 22 years. So, it is not like the ex was never a part of the family...it is just a tough situation. I am leaning toward not inviting him, but at the same time I am a little frustrated at the sister who is adding and deleting people to the guest list. yes, she is asking each time...but to remove someone my fiancee sees as family because it makes her unhappy for him to be there while adding someone none of us knows (the parents of her new husband) because she feels they should be there is tough to take, LOL.

I guess my issue is that if she can have people she wants there, my fiancee should be able to as well without creating drama.

But the guest list was just finalized, and the ex is not on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings