Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:00 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times

Advertisements

Sounds to me like you can't afford to go to the wedding and could just send a congratulations card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,137 times
As stated earlier... staying somewhere else, especially at the inconvenience of others, is not an option.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:18 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Sounds to me like you can't afford to go to the wedding and could just send a congratulations card.
I agree with this. Either that or tell your bf nevermind and split with another family member.

In my opinion, since you invited him, it should be at your expense.

If he invited you, would you pay half or would you expect him to pay all?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Boyfriend, right?
He is accompanying you to your relative's wedding; you should pay.

Does he even WANT to go?
What's up with "hinting"? Do you not talk outright?
Great points. If he offers to pay that is OK, but IMHO, (unless you share all your money and your expenses) you invited him so you pay all of your expenses (including the wedding gift from the two of you.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I think you need to talk to your bf. Maybe he just doesn't want to go. If you can't afford to pay for the room then I'd tell him you're going to split a room with a family member and he is off the hook. I wonder if money is just his way of telling you that he would rather not go though.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I agree. There have been plenty of weddings that I wanted to attend but could not afford to attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I agree with this. Either that or tell your bf nevermind and split with another family member.

In my opinion, since you invited him, it should be at your expense.

If he invited you, would you pay half or would you expect him to pay all?
Since it is such an expensive hotel can you convince your sister to stay at a cheaper place? Or maybe share with a few more people. I remember a wedding where we had four adults and two children staying in the same hotel room to cut down on costs.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-07-2015 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 07:12 AM

86 posts, read 96,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisgrey1 View Post
If it were me, I would NEVER expect for my whole weekend to be covered.
If I was in your situation, I would not expect a dime from my date.

If I was in his situation, I would offer to help pay for some of it. Or pick up all the meals on the trip. Sometime to somewhat even it out.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I think you should pay. If you can't afford it, go alone, or don't go. Can you split a room with another couple, or stay in a cheaper hotel nearby?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
You can dish out $430 bucks for a room and some gas money?

You probably can't afford or budget to go this wedding in the first place. Heck, you can't even afford a set of tires if you happen to have problems on the drive there.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:04 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I agree it would be nice of bf to chip in on the expenses, being that you've dated for three years. But I do agree that it is really your responsibility and not his, since it is your family.

When men say they want to "take care of" you, their idea of what that means might be different than yours... some are more able / willing to be more generous than others.

If the two of you going together is too much money for you to spend, I agree with what you were thinking in the OP: tell boyfriend that due to cost, you're going to split a room with a family member, and he can just stay home. Enjoy the two nights with family.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM

324 posts, read 427,639 times
So you have $430 for accommodations, most likely $100 for the gift, then food and gas. Honestly, while I am generous with my partner, if a wedding was going to run us over $600, even if we shared the cost, I'd skip it and send a card with a gift. It's probably your BF's mindset as well, so letting him off the hook may solve this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings