Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So we are only inviting people in relationships with guests, to keep costs down.

My fiancé's sister is coming with her 3 kids who we've happily invited but we did not invite her with a guest b/c she is not with anyone. His sister does not have any money so she flat out said she is not giving us a wedding gift. Additionally, 2 of her kids are under the age of 12. We are offering kids meals for any kids under 12 ... she chose the adult meals for her youngest which are about 4 times the price of the kids meal. I don't see why a 4 year old needs to eat a $160 plate of fish.

I'm just annoying b/c we are essentially paying for 5 people and getting nothing in return. My fiancé doesn't know the person she is bringing as a guest and feels a bit uncomfortable about it. I said I really didn't care do what he wants b/c it's his sister ... but I don't think it's right to come empty-handed, order your 4 year old an adult meal when a kids meal is available and then INSIST on bringing a guest who we don't know.

Wrong or right? I think my fiancé is going to tell her she can bring someone to just get her to shut up but we both feel as a guest she shouldn't be making demands like that ... she isn't the one paying.
I did not read the entire thread BUT I WOULD NOT give the 4yrd old an adult plate! YOU have the right to change that to a kids meal! PERIOD! As far as letting her bring a guest, well, I would let her as it's his sister. Pick your battles I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 10:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
It looks like Elvis has left the building.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It looks like Elvis has left the building.
Or this particular room at least.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Lack of respect it a national epedemic really bad here

Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM

561 posts, read 324,650 times
Quote:
I am just annoyed with her b/c she demanded to be in my bridal party (after all I wanted was just my sister) but his sister threw a huge hissy fit so I had to ask her. Meanwhile now she is giving her kids adult meals & demanding to bring a guest we don't know from a hole in the wall ... she is also getting make-up & hair done with the bridal party (I had to ask all his sisters b/c I asked her b/c they got mad too) ... how do you have $$ for hair & make-up but nothing for us when we are bending over backwards for her demands.
This was where your problem started. It's your wedding and you shouldn't have been bullied into having extra people in the bridal party.

You said these are the only kids so it's a valid assumption that kids meals were not choices on the RSVP and unless you printed one specially for her I'm going to guess she chose from the options available? Give them the kids options you already arranged for and be done with it. Consider the fact that she's paying for her own hair and make up your gift and call it a wash. As far as the extra guest you can call it even with the person who has a last minute change of plans and doesn't show up.

I'd suggest you work hard on figuring out a way to get over your resentment of his family or it doesn't bode well for your future. We've all got at least one like this in the closet so better learn to deal with it.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:20 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Why Do Guests Think THEY Call The Shots?

This is an old thread...BUT...the subject comes up a LOT with brides to be. I have felt it too. You just have to remember they don't make the decisions tho....so.... just do what you want to for your own wedding BUT IMO....it's nice to try to be accomodating to make guests happy or have food & drink options. We shouldn't expect our guests to be miserable or forced to eat 1 food option they don't like... Just cause it will be our day.....it isn't an excuse to be a tyrant IMO.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
I remember when my husband and I got married, our budget was kind of tight, and we wanted to keep the guest list to immediate family (plus mates/significant others) and close friends. Well...best laid plans, and all that.

I had to turn down my mom's sister, and my dad's cousin.

When the wedding rolled around, my husband's sister had invited her step-daughter, step-daughter's husband, and 3 children. A good friend of my husband's brought her MIL. A friend of mine sat at the bar all night, and offered plates of food to the wait staff and bartenders. Some of them took him up on the offer. Meanwhile, 2 couples that I thought were good friends, and I thought would be happy for me, ghosted me. I guess it more or less evened out.

Also, some people complained about the food, and complained about the lack of an open bar. LOL Our wedding was IN a bar, and we offered beer, soda, coffee and water. If that wasn't enough, well, tough *******. LOL

Old 07-14-2020, 10:19 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,196 times
Thus far in my wedding planning, the families have been the biggest crybabies. I was very naïve coming into this whole thing. When I proposed, her and I thought wow, we are going to plan a wedding and everyone will be so happy for us and go along with the ride.

Wrong. Dead wrong.

Both sides of the family have been moody about something and an utter pain the arse. Don't get me wrong, we love them, but I did not expect them to be the nightmare. When is reception starting?? - don't want a long wait between ceremony ending and start of reception (Therefore they paid the $500 fee for the extra hour). Alcohol package was not good enough, so we had to restructure that. We decided to have just a small cake for us to cut since reception hall was giving us free pastries. Figured that would suffice. That was a crisis apparently, so now we are having cupcakes for people so they feel "included" and have some sort of cake. Father figures whining that they haven't been included as much as the moms (seriously). Moms forcing their hand on how some things should be done.

Granted, a lot of the things me and the lady have put our foot down. But there have been a lot of instances where they have been uber annoying. And they have been generous enough to give us money for it, which we greatly appreciate. But it doesn't give them the right to try and dictate our wedding.

Ugh.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:23 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
So we are only inviting people in relationships with guests, to keep costs down.

My fiancé's sister is coming with her 3 kids who we've happily invited but we did not invite her with a guest b/c she is not with anyone. His sister does not have any money so she flat out said she is not giving us a wedding gift. Additionally, 2 of her kids are under the age of 12. We are offering kids meals for any kids under 12 ... she chose the adult meals for her youngest which are about 4 times the price of the kids meal. I don't see why a 4 year old needs to eat a $160 plate of fish.

I'm just annoying b/c we are essentially paying for 5 people and getting nothing in return. My fiancé doesn't know the person she is bringing as a guest and feels a bit uncomfortable about it. I said I really didn't care do what he wants b/c it's his sister ... but I don't think it's right to come empty-handed, order your 4 year old an adult meal when a kids meal is available and then INSIST on bringing a guest who we don't know.

Wrong or right? I think my fiancé is going to tell her she can bring someone to just get her to shut up but we both feel as a guest she shouldn't be making demands like that ... she isn't the one paying.

Do you understand how entitled and shallow you sound, based on the sentences I highlighted?

A wedding is not a transaction. It is an occasion where two families unite.

What's more, did you have a price list next to each of the meals on the invitation? Was it like the menu board at a McDonalds? Seriously, if the fish was indeed $160, then your sister and the person she brings isn't the reason the cost of this wedding was spiraling out of control.

So in the great scheme of things, your sister is about 1% wrong while you take up the other 99%.

SMH. Some people.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:27 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Thus far in my wedding planning, the families have been the biggest crybabies. I was very naïve coming into this whole thing. When I proposed, her and I thought wow, we are going to plan a wedding and everyone will be so happy for us and go along with the ride.

Wrong. Dead wrong.

Both sides of the family have been moody about something and an utter pain the arse. Don't get me wrong, we love them, but I did not expect them to be the nightmare. When is reception starting?? - don't want a long wait between ceremony ending and start of reception (Therefore they paid the $500 fee for the extra hour). Alcohol package was not good enough, so we had to restructure that. We decided to have just a small cake for us to cut since reception hall was giving us free pastries. Figured that would suffice. That was a crisis apparently, so now we are having cupcakes for people so they feel "included" and have some sort of cake. Father figures whining that they haven't been included as much as the moms (seriously). Moms forcing their hand on how some things should be done.

Granted, a lot of the things me and the lady have put our foot down. But there have been a lot of instances where they have been uber annoying. And they have been generous enough to give us money for it, which we greatly appreciate. But it doesn't give them the right to try and dictate our wedding.

Ugh.

You let them dictate it tho...because you made changes for them & they gave you money. IMO if you're old enough to get married....you're old enough to plan the wedding as a couple. Stuff like what kind of cake or if you serve alcohol is all up to you & all depends on what you want or what you can afford. You chose who you married......didn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings