Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 03:16 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times

Advertisements

'The COVID virus is also attending': Expert explains how Maine wedding led to over 175 COVID-19 cases, 7 deaths
Quote:
Officials in Maine revealed on Tuesday that more than 175 COVID-19 cases — seven of them fatal — have been linked to an Aug. 7 wedding in Millinocket, highlighting the danger of gathering indoors amid a deadly pandemic.

More than 65 people reportedly attended the wedding reception at the Big Moose Inn in Penobscot County. The event broke the Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s limit for indoor gatherings, which had been capped at 50. Since then, outbreaks of the virus linked to the event have appeared at a local county jail — where one of the wedding guests works — as well as at a nursing home. None of the seven who died attended the ceremony.

But with coronavirus cases continuing to increase in 11 states, experts say it’s vital to pay attention to how the gathering turned deadly. Here’s what you need to know.

...Maine CDC has not shared details on how many individuals may have had COVID-19 at the wedding... chance that the outbreak may have been triggered by a single individual carrying the virus. If so, the person may be considered a superspreader — an individual who sheds higher levels of the virus, often infecting many more people as a result.

One of the more surprising aspects of the Maine wedding outbreak has been that it occurred in a state with a low case count, which could have led the bride and groom to presume that it was safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 07:12 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Yep, COVID's no joke! I wouldn't attend ANY gathering if you paid me. Some discussion was going on in another thread about plans for holiday get-togethers & some of the talk went like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
...My niece actually kicked her oldest of of the home several months ago because he wouldn't distance or stop partying. Husband with heart problem and aunt with COPD living there, and she just wasn't going to tolerate it. I don't know if he's mad or not, he's now living with a cousin his age, but I don't blame her one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I totally agree 200%! Why should the immune-challenged people compromise their health for idiotic, entitled family members & friends? That's a type of narcissist because they obviously don't care about anyone but themselves. They're socializing's more important than their loved one's health.

It doesn't matter if the one socializing is young & healthy & the other fam members are older & not as healthy. The young, healthy ones have to respect ALL those in the house or get the hell out!

Old 10-14-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yep, COVID's no joke! I wouldn't attend ANY gathering if you paid me. Some discussion was going on in another thread about plans for holiday get-togethers & some of the talk went like this:
You wouldn't catch me at any holiday gathering this year except with people I live with. So not worth it. You never know who's been exposed.

My granddaughter goes to day care. I hate when it's my daughters weekend to have her. We don't know if she's been exposed. She lives in a town with higher numbers then mine. My grandson isn't back at school yet because of his bad immune system like my daughters and mine

Old 10-14-2020, 11:55 AM

^ Oh no, well I hope you all stay safe! I'm careful as well.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
The thing that scares me the most is that ALL seven deaths were people who did not attend the wedding.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
^ Oh no, well I hope you all stay safe! I'm careful as well.
Thanks. We don't go out unless we really need to. I have a system where I take a disinfecting towel, put it on my steering wheel so it's ready to use when I get out of the store. I'll open the door and use the touch screen with my left hand. On the way out, I open the door with my foot, then put my cane on it to keep it open while I walk. I then wipe my hands, cane and door handles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The thing that scares me the most is that ALL seven deaths were people who did not attend the wedding.
That's the main reason I posted the article, plus it was in a state that has low COVID numbers. It just goes to show that we really don't know who has the virus and who doesn't.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:13 AM

724 posts, read 404,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yup. They bring it home and other places. By attending, they put other people they may come in contact with at risk. It's rude!

That's the thing that makes COVID so different. With COVID, even if you are doing everything you can to stay safe, other people may not, and that can put you at risk.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks. We don't go out unless we really need to. I have a system where I take a disinfecting towel, put it on my steering wheel so it's ready to use when I get out of the store. I'll open the door and use the touch screen with my left hand. On the way out, I open the door with my foot, then put my cane on it to keep it open while I walk. I then wipe my hands, cane and door handles...

Yes, I have a heavy supply of hand wipes & keep a pack or two in the car at all times. I bring the pack into stores w/ me in my pocket & wipe down grocery store carts even if they say "they're clean". Who really knows unless I saw it myself.

When I get back into the car, I use a wipe & wipe my hands, so everything in the car was clean already, but I'll often wipe down the steering wheel, handles, A/C knobs, etc.

Once I get home w/ groceries, I do the whole routine of wiping off each grocery item w/ alcohol-soaked paper towel & put them on the clean part of the counter before putting them away.

I also wipe off keys, light switches, faucet handles, doorknobs, etc. & air out my shoes outside when I get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings