Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is it possible the SIL is bringing along her friend to keep an eye on her young kids while she is occupied with wedding party details? Just think of her as a babysitter who will enjoy a meal otherwise going to waste if there are no-shows.
It doesnt seem that way but maybe. I’d have a lot more respect if that were the case. Her oldest is 15 though, hardly needs looking after ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 06:54 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Is it possible the SIL is bringing along her friend to keep an eye on her young kids while she is occupied with wedding party details? Just think of her as a babysitter who will enjoy a meal otherwise going to waste if there are no-shows.
That's a really good point. Someone is needed to keep an eye on the kids while Mom is performing bridal party duties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It doesnt seem that way but maybe. I’d have a lot more respect if that were the case. Her oldest is 15 though, hardly needs looking after ...
Even a 15-year old may need guidance on wedding/reception protocols. Not to mention the younger 2 siblings. Do you have a bridal party table or are your party members mixed amongst the crowd? (I've seen it done both ways)

Old 06-01-2018, 08:18 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
She has other options too-

1)She does not even have to attend (*best choice*)
2)She could order Dominos to be delivered for the kids
3)She could pack a bag lunch for the kids (this is what I would do)
Besides the fact that this is pretty tacky, I doubt a high-end wedding venue is going to allow pizza to be delivered or bag lunches for kids trotted in and opened at the table.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 AM

Here's the latest:

Apparently my SIL's guest is a female friend of my MIL. When we were doing invites, my fiancé's mom wanted us to invite all her friends, to which we said no.

Now the SIL asks to bring a guest which ends up being my MIL's friend, makes me think my MIL put my SIL up to it so she could have a friend there.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Here's the latest:

Apparently my SIL's guest is a female friend of my MIL. When we were doing invites, my fiancé's mom wanted us to invite all her friends, to which we said no.

Now the SIL asks to bring a guest which ends up being my MIL's friend, makes me think my MIL put my SIL up to it so she could have a friend there.
No complaining! You are walking into a family with this sort of drama with your eyes wide open. Laugh it off or you will still be complaining five, ten years from now over the same stuff.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No complaining! You are walking into a family with this sort of drama with your eyes wide open. Laugh it off or you will still be complaining five, ten years from now over the same stuff.
I know. You are right. Siiiigh

I don't ask for much, I'm really laid-back and easy-going but a wedding is the one day people cater to me and my fiancé and I don't want people messing with it.

Just let us have our day the way we want it.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I know. You are right. Siiiigh

I don't ask for much, I'm really laid-back and easy-going but a wedding is the one day people cater to me and my fiancé and I don't want people messing with it.

Just let us have our day the way we want it.
You will surely get some of that despite these relatives. Just remember that in the long run, it really doesn't matter. The wedding day memories will fade as real life takes over. Just make sure the music is good and everyone gets up and dances.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Here's the latest:

When you said that it was a female friend, and not a significant other, I suspected that there was "more to the story".

When my husband and I planned our guest list our general guideline was that we invited people that we knew and liked. Yes, a few were close friends of our parents, but they were more like "family friends" or people, such as neighbors, that we grew up with. These were people who we might invite to dinner or to our home or go to their home independent of our parents. We set the guest list not our parents, but some of the guests were family friends and long time neighbors.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When you said that it was a female friend, and not a significant other, I suspected that there was "more to the story".

When my husband and I planned our guest list our general guideline was that we invited people that we knew and liked. Yes, a few were close friends of our parents, but they were more like "family friends" or people, such as neighbors, that we grew up with. These were people who we might invite to dinner or to our home or go to their home independent of our parents. We set the guest list not our parents, but some of the guests were family friends and long time neighbors.
Honestly if his mom was like "can I invite one friend?" we would have been fine with it. The way my SIL/MIL (?) went about it is all wrong.

WE don't even know this friend - I would totally get it if it were someone that saw my fiancé grow up - but he doesn't know this woman. It's all kind of weird.

I find his family very manipulative

Old 06-03-2018, 05:40 PM

92 posts, read 54,282 times
My wife and I were fine with each other choosing members of his/her wedding party. I told her she didn't have to choose my sister if she didn't want to. My wife told me I didn't have to choose her brothers.

There was no drama when I chose my cousin and two friends, and didn't ask the brothers to be in the wedding party. My sister wasn't happy that my wife didn't choose her. A hissy fit was thrown. We didn't budge. The siblings not chosen for the wedding party got to do Scripture readings at the wedding Mass. We thought that was a nice way to include them.

$160/plate for a fish dinner is just insane. Lots of places are fancy and don't charge nearly as much. It comes across rather ridiculous to complain about the marginal cost for a handful of meals (having to pay the adult vs. the children price) when you're paying 160 clams a head for the entire house of guests. If you don't want to pay it, then just change it to a kid's meal without saying anything, and when it comes up at the wedding (and it will) just say "oops, sorry" and go about with your day.

The fact that we've had to tell you that is a little sad. But, this OP has a habit of starting threads that ask for advice on matters that a functioning adult can usually figure out for him or herself provided that he or she has the courage of conviction to choose a course of action and stick with it. After all, this was the OP who panicked about having to cook for herself with the fiance out of town. Oh good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings