Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 07:53 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,587,939 times

Advertisements

Usually the parents of the bride & groom are honored at a wedding reception by the groom & his mom dancing & the bride & her dad. My groom's mom is deceased tho...she passed away over ten years ago..& his dad has remarried....he will say his "parents" sometimes but he doesn't think of her as a step mom or anything like that. She's his Dad's wife. So....how do we handle this at the reception?

Would it be Ok to have my groom dance with my mom at the same time I am dancing with my Dad? I want to include his Dad too tho......maybe I dance with him after my Dad A N D how do we still honor his mom in some way????

Thank you for any helpful thoughts or suggestions............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 09:22 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Several weddings that I have attended have a table that has pictures of the deceased relatives. It could include not just his mom, but pictures of each of you with your grand parents (if they are deceased). I have also seen tables that had pictures of their parents wedding photographs, but that might be awkward if you don't include a photo of his dad's second marriage.

I have also attended wedding where the bride danced with her father and the groom did not dance with anyone (at that time) but then immediately danced with bride.

IMHO, his step-mom may be insulted if the groom danced with your mom and not her.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:33 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Weddings I've been to, there were usually picture collages of the bride and groom from birth to adulthood, including deceased parents and grandparents.

Someone could give a speech and include words about how his mother would be so proud of the man he's become, etc.

Since your wedding is not a traditional format, why not dance with your father and leave it at that?

Or what germaine said, lol. Didn't see her reply before posting mine.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Several weddings that I have attended have a table that has pictures of the deceased relatives. It could include not just his mom, but pictures of each of you with your grand parents (if they are deceased). I have also seen tables that had pictures of their parents wedding photographs, but that might be awkward if you don't include a photo of his dad's second marriage.

I have also attended wedding where the bride danced with her father and the groom did not dance with anyone (at that time) but then immediately danced with bride.

IMHO, his step-mom may be insulted if the groom danced with your mom and not her.

My grandparents aren't deceased. I don't think so on the picture of her on a table....we'd like to do something a little more "happy" to honor her & table space will be limited anyways.........

IMO it's more appropriate my mom dance with my groom while I dance with my dad...& his dad's wife could dance with him when I'm dancing with his Dad....or they could dance together if they want. She has only been married to his Dad for a couple of years so she might not even want to dance like that except with her husband...the groom's dad.

It's customary tho for the bride & groom to have their 1st dance together before any of this........I just want to be sure we honor his mom in some way............thank you........

Old 12-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Weddings I've been to, there were usually picture collages of the bride and groom from birth to adulthood, including deceased parents and grandparents.

Someone could give a speech and include words about how his mother would be so proud of the man he's become, etc.

Since your wedding is not a traditional format, why not dance with your father and leave it at that?

Or what germaine said, lol. Didn't see her reply before posting mine.

I could just dance with my dad.....but I'd like my mom to be included too......& since my groom's mom is passed anyways........it would be perfect IMO to have them dance while my dad & I dance........

The best man will be giving the champagne toast.....but he could have his brother give a little speech......to honor their mom.........since that is better coming from his brother than the "best man". His mom died when he was in his 30s so she saw the man he became...........so not anything like that......but that she is with him in his heart & everyone that knew her........a little speech that she is not forgotten. I even thought I could say something........how I wish I could have had the honor of meeting her......& thank her for the man she raised....because IMO she had to be an amazing lady...........

Old 12-16-2019, 04:27 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,994 times
You and your dad start the dance. After a minute or so Dad steps aside, replaced by your groom. After a minute or two of your solo dance as bride and groom, your mom/dad and his dad/stepmom join you on the dance floor.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
You and your dad start the dance. After a minute or so Dad steps aside, replaced by your groom. After a minute or two of your solo dance as bride and groom, your mom/dad and his dad/stepmom join you on the dance floor.
Yes, I have seen this done.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

It's customary for the bride & groom to start the dance....so it would be our first dance....then have my dad dance with me & my mom dance with my groom.....& possibly my groom's dad dance with his wife at the same time.

The bigger thing is how to honor his mom IMO.........

Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It's customary for the bride & groom to start the dance....so it would be our first dance....then have my dad dance with me & my mom dance with my groom.....& possibly my groom's dad dance with his wife at the same time.

The bigger thing is how to honor his mom IMO.........
If you're looking at what's customary - the groom dancing with your mother and not his step-mother is not customary and seems like a passive-aggressive way to slight her.

There are other ways to honor his mom - the dance doesn't allow any way to honor her and this doesn't seem to be a good way to start your relationship with his fathers second wife.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:32 AM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you're looking at what's customary - the groom dancing with your mother and not his step-mother is not customary and seems like a passive-aggressive way to slight her.

There are other ways to honor his mom - the dance doesn't allow any way to honor her and this doesn't seem to be a good way to start your relationship with his fathers second wife.
I agree. And it will seem that way to others as well since OP and her groom will not be able to explain to the crowd why they made that choice.

I just don't see how dancing with your mom is honoring his mom. You want your mom to be included, and it seems you're using that as way to include her without considering how that will make stepmom feel. I think you should go with the format Wasel suggested in Post #6

You'll have to honor his mom in some way other than these dances.

Last edited by HokieFan; 12-17-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings