Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) - Show me the Money (clean edit)

I dare you to watch this and not laugh outloud!!!

It is as ridiculous as what the OP wants to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It is incredibly rude to ask for gifts of any kind. Sorry. These are guests at your wedding, not its underwriters.
I don't see it any differently than I do them telling you where they're registered. I always thought that a silly way to ask for gifts only they're pretending they're not asking.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why don't you just send the guests a bill for the privilege of attending?
Heh, my thought is, "Here's yer money: You can save the cost of my plate at the reception."

Whyte Byrd, bird-to-bird speaking here, yep, I understand that people are hurting for money. Sure. But that means that so are the guests.

It's the printed begging and what it implies to the guests that bugs me.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
The more I think about this, the less it bothers me. Especially during these tough times. A lot of people are having a hard time. I'd be giving in the spirit of wanting it to be a blessing to them. Money is a blessing for many right now. I wouldn't be bothered by the request under these circumstances and depending on the way it was presented. Just not on the invitation.
See, WB, I have to respectfully disagree with this. Because if these are tough times, then they are tough times as much for the people attending as they are for the people getting wed.

What's more (And I know this wasn't in the original post), if the couple is so strapped for cash, then perhaps they should rule out but the simplest weddings.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I don't see it any differently than I do them telling you where they're registered. I always thought that a silly way to ask for gifts only they're pretending they're not asking.
The difference is that they ask you, you don't ask them. It's just vulgar, and it cheapens your relationship with them. After all, the guest has to wonder if the only reason they're being asked is because the couple needs 12 place settings rather than 10.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
It is incredibly rude to ask for gifts of any kind. Sorry. These are guests at your wedding, not its underwriters.
On the other hand, I know of people who will not attend if they cannot afford to bring a gift...

Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
On the other hand, I know of people who will not attend if they cannot afford to bring a gift...
But that's their choice not to attend.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
See, WB, I have to respectfully disagree with this. Because if these are tough times, then they are tough times as much for the people attending as they are for the people getting wed.

What's more (And I know this wasn't in the original post), if the couple is so strapped for cash, then perhaps they should rule out but the simplest weddings.
Wow, this is a real strong subject for most. I can see why.

They can still have a simple wedding. And that these are tough times is the very reason I wouldn't mind being asked for cash rather than a gift. I'd want my money to go it's furthest possible. You never know if that's the case when you choose for them. Besides, everyone knows newlyweds can always use cash. No big surprise. Go on, ask me for cash. It won't be much, but it won't offend me--or, maybe make it a suggestion. Like I said, it's all in the way it's presented.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
But that's their choice not to attend.
Sure, but their mindset is--I can't afford to bring a gift, so I shouldn't go.

That's why I'm not going to my cousin's wedding--I can't afford a gift.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Wow, this is a real strong subject for most. I can see why.

They can still have a simple wedding. And that these are tough times is the very reason I wouldn't mind being asked for cash rather than a gift. I'd want my money to go it's furthest possible. You never know if that's the case when you choose for them. Besides, everyone knows newlyweds can always use cash. No big surprise. Go on, ask me for cash. It won't be much, but it won't offend me--or, maybe make it a suggestion. Like I said, it's all in the way it's presented.
Sorry. I mean well. But if you're going to ask for cash, then you might as well as for a specific amount as well. It's not a fundraiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings