Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,347,755 times

Advertisements

TACKY!!!

There is no good way to request money as a wedding gift. If any friend of mine did that, I wouldn't get them a damn thing, but I'd still show up for the free booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
TACKY!!!

There is no good way to request money as a wedding gift. If any friend of mine did that, I wouldn't get them a damn thing, but I'd still show up for the free booze.
Yup yup. I agree. I'd be there empty handed!!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,018,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It is incredibly rude to ask for gifts of any kind. Sorry. These are guests at your wedding, not its underwriters.
A long time ago, I was invited to a wedding. After the guest list had been made, the groom to be prepared a spreadsheet with estimates of what each guest would give. The bride to be, suffered from diarreha of the mouth and let it slip about their experiment. Well, let's just say they overestimated for about 5 guests who showed up with a card containing $20. I hate money-grubbers.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,294,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No offense to the OP, but this made me laugh. Sorry I couldn't rep you again so soon, robee.
I did it for ya. Too funny!

Invitations: $600

Flowers: $2,500

Hall: $6,500

The bride and groom paying processing and transaction fees on monetary gifts "requested": Priceless

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,294,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
not sure if anyone mentioned this in the previous 6 pages, but i saw someone write "no boxed gifts, please" on their invitation. so then i think they'd get cash or gift certificates
That's when I'd show up with helium-filled balloons and a gift-bag filled with Hershey's Kisses and confetti, maybe a few lollipops so when the band got drunk, they could suck on the balloons and sing "We Represent the Lollipop Guild."

Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,051,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
Is there a polite way of requesting cash/gift cards instead of doing a registry and/or receiving other gifts?

how would this be worded exactly on the invitations?
The most polite way is to ask of nothing at all, and to be grateful of anything you receive.

You're getting married, this isn't Christmas!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:39 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,599,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
A long time ago, I was invited to a wedding. After the guest list had been made, the groom to be prepared a spreadsheet with estimates of what each guest would give. The bride to be, suffered from diarreha of the mouth and let it slip about their experiment. Well, let's just say they overestimated for about 5 guests who showed up with a card containing $20. I hate money-grubbers.
Horrible...yet funny at the same time. Guess they had it coming!

So did they do it just for fun or were they really trying to tally up what kind of cha-ching they'd wind up with?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,996,941 times
It's tacky to expect a gift. The gift of grace would serve you best.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,037,198 times
You guys are ridiculous. You'd really get offended if someone didn't follow your perfectionist ettiquette? Give me a break.

If a couple wants to ask for money, they should do some in a tactful manner. My friend's wedding last year had a website set up that allowed guests to contribute to their honeymoon. They could give as little as a dollar or they could purchase something as extravagant as a day-long excursion for the couple. I thought it was really cool and it kept me from having to go search for a gift on some registry.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,213,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
You guys are ridiculous. You'd really get offended if someone didn't follow your perfectionist ettiquette? Give me a break.

If a couple wants to ask for money, they should do some in a tactful manner. My friend's wedding last year had a website set up that allowed guests to contribute to their honeymoon. They could give as little as a dollar or they could purchase something as extravagant as a day-long excursion for the couple. I thought it was really cool and it kept me from having to go search for a gift on some registry.
Nah...I really do think that would be horribly tacky for the couple to blatantly ask for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings