Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,268,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
When My Brother got Married,I gave Him 200 dollars in an envelope.
I gave my buddy and his wife $500 and they both had tears of joy in their eyes! They didn't want to except it but I insisted. Hey, we have been BF's since we were only 5 years old and it was the least I could do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,150,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
It's funny how people automatically assume graduates want monetary gifts but when it comes to newlyweds, we get so arrogant about our idea of what the gift should be and act as if it should be considered sacred. Kind of arrogant, I think. Why pretend money wouldn't help newlyweds? They shouldn't have to ask. Maybe they shouldn't have to be put in the position to have to ask. If we're going to give them gifts maybe we could consider asking them what they prefer, gifts or cash, or assume someone starting out their new lives together will perhaps need....duhhhh...money? No brainer.
You're missing what the OP asked and our objections - it's tacky and rude to ASK for money. Many of us, I'm sure, DO ask the bride/groom or the family what would be a best gift. I just gave my BFF's daughter a VISA gift card for her wedding. It was my choice; she didn't ASK for money. I know that they absolutely didn't need anything and, in fact, were getting rid of household items since they were combining two homes into one. It's not something I usually do, but it was the right gift for this couple at this time.

My niece is getting married within the year. She will get a large cash gift from me - IN ADDITION to passing along a family heirloom. It was passed to me by my grandmother and it's my niece's turn to have it now. I cherish it and will miss it dearly, but she has expressed an interest in having it.

So back to the topic - it is TACKY to ASK for a specific gift. A gift is, by definition, an option - a choice - by the donor. If the recipient does not like/want it, s/he has the option to refuse the gift.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,035,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You're missing what the OP asked and our objections - it's tacky and rude to ASK for money. Many of us, I'm sure, DO ask the bride/groom or the family what would be a best gift. I just gave my BFF's daughter a VISA gift card for her wedding. It was my choice; she didn't ASK for money. I know that they absolutely didn't need anything and, in fact, were getting rid of household items since they were combining two homes into one. It's not something I usually do, but it was the right gift for this couple at this time.

My niece is getting married within the year. She will get a large cash gift from me - IN ADDITION to passing along a family heirloom. It was passed to me by my grandmother and it's my niece's turn to have it now. I cherish it and will miss it dearly, but she has expressed an interest in having it.

So back to the topic - it is TACKY to ASK for a specific gift. A gift is, by definition, an option - a choice - by the donor. If the recipient does not like/want it, s/he has the option to refuse the gift.
Nope, I already addressed that. Was responding to some other thoughts and expounding on some of my own.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,137,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Heh, my thought is, "Here's yer money: You can save the cost of my plate at the reception."

Whyte Byrd, bird-to-bird speaking here, yep, I understand that people are hurting for money. Sure. But that means that so are the guests.

It's the printed begging and what it implies to the guests that bugs me.
I agree with Whyte Bird. Asking for cash in lieu of gifts is no different thatn having a registry. Why make people go through the trouble of returning gifts?

I would much rather give somebody something they want or need rather than what I want to give them. They'll be just as grateful probably more if they get the money rather than gift they don't need or can't use.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,137,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sure, but their mindset is--I can't afford to bring a gift, so I shouldn't go.

That's why I'm not going to my cousin's wedding--I can't afford a gift.
This is a cop out. No one is required to bring a gift. This is just ego talking.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,561,776 times
You can look up somebody's registry on one of the big national websites without being told about it specifically in the invitation. Any mention of gifts turns an invitation into an invoice in my opinion - I find the "we'd rather have cash than... [your poor taste in gifts?] comment in the invitation more distasteful than the little registry cards, but they're both tacky.

I wish weddings hadn't gotten so big.. they seem to be offering people more chances for rudeness everyday. I especially love the people whose gift registries have almost exclusively $200+ presents on them. Hey.. maybe they're angling for cash wedding gifts!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,213,517 times
You know, I really have a hard time with giving a wedding gift based on what the couple wants...especially when what they want is cash to pay for a honeymoon, or a house down-payment, or whatever. It's a GIFT. If they can't pay for their new "coupledom" without using a wedding as a moneytree, then they need to skip the wedding, and get their finances in order first....BEFORE walking down that aisle together.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-04-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
This is a cop out. No one is required to bring a gift. This is just ego talking.
You shouldn't even go to someone's house unless you bring them a small gift. It can be a coffeecake, or a box of donuts, or flowers for the lady of the house, or a bottle of champagne. But you don't go empty-handed.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,035,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You shouldn't even go to someone's house unless you bring them a small gift. It can be a coffeecake, or a box of donuts, or flowers for the lady of the house, or a bottle of champagne. But you don't go empty-handed.
Huh??? I know this is true when going to dinner at someone's house, but going to visit? Since when and who made up this rule?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:18 PM

29,777 posts, read 34,535,589 times
Bringing a hostess gift is a thoughtful gesture, but it isn't mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings