Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM

437 posts, read 811,378 times

Advertisements

Well i am recent graduate from FAU left South Florida two weeks ago no jobs there no for me there . i moved to LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:21 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
South Florida's economy is so scary bad! I get it! So is southern Cali and LA. About the only really decent places for the economy now are cities in TX and the DC area - where the economy really never gets that bad because of all the gov workers, military, and politicians moving in and out. As far as culture goes, I did feel a lack of that in south Florida - I grew up in St. Louis and feel as a city it has a ton of culture! But it also has really crappy weather! And I do think some of these preferences are age-related. I'm 56, not retired completely, still need to work but can't find a job. But I also don't have the same needs or wants I did when I was younger. I remember pouring pots of boiling water on the doorlocks of my car one New Years Eve in STL so I could get in after a snow and ice storm and drive to a party - you do that stuff in your 20's. Not in your 50's.
If the economy is so bad in Florida, how can those certain stores in the Mall on Glades Road in Boca charge those prices~? I was like in shock when I saw four digit prices on clothing~! We don't have anything like that here. I joked with the sales lady there and she told me that the lesser priced is across the other side. Those prices were in three digits~!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
It depends what store u go to in that mall...lol I only shop for shoes in Nordstroms because I have a small foot and well I have a shoe fetish too...but if im looking for a dressy outfit I will go to the boca mall 1st..and despite the Bad Economy there are alot of people here who truly have the money and DONT use plastic..It seems to be a Joke but I will tell you that most of the population here can afford it accept those that are loosing their homes whether it be a Job Loss or Business goes under etc...I find most of the department stores like Macy's are a bit more than the other malls lets say in Coral Springs Mall where I often go when I need to shop in Penny's since the Boca Mall doesnt have one...

Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flvol77 View Post
We are thinking of moving to Orlando (yeah I know its still fl) due to job promos but the thougtht of leaving on Condo on the water in West Palm Beach is killing us, that and the fact we love the water and recently joined the freedom yacht club, I think we will miss South Fl (west palm beach) bad.

Money is great but you got to be happy where you live....the only thing that is looking up we were both told don't buy a house because you will not be in Orlando long.

Well, maybe it will only be a temporary assignment?

I bet from the 15th floor on the ICW you can see the ocean on the other side of Palm Beach! So beautiful! I've often admired that view from the top floor of the county courthouse, which has massive windows overlooking the water and Island.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I was just wondering what those of you have left south Florida feel about where you live now? I left 6 months ago after living there for 6 years and miss it so bad!!! I am currently living in Louisville, KY and just frankly hate it! No place is perfect, but south Florida is so beautiful and if you like a tropical climate I just don't know who anyone adjusts to something else! I know south Florida is expensive, full of con artists and alot of rude people, but really, there are other things that can be worse - like a horrible climate, backward people who couldn't be con artists if they tried because they aren't savy enough, and people who honestly don't like outsiders and are polite but hardly friendly. Just wondering what some of you others think and how you are adjusting to your life outside Florida??
I haven't regretted it per-se. Living in Texas to me is just as fine as living in South FL. It's basically the same quality of life. It's just depends on what your priorities are. The only time I regretted moving from South Florida was when I moved to South-west FL. THat was a hellish experience. NEVER AGAIN.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
I lived in Deerfield Beach for a short while. I think Florida is a great place for a short vacation, but to live there? Absolutely wretched. Worst 9 months of my life, due in part to the weather. The sun and heat were awesome at first, then it all started to wear on me. I can't stand being drenched in sweat every time I leave for work in the morning. And the rude people and road rage! Holy moly is it unreal down there. I think this is why rain forests are so ridiculously dangerous compared to temperate areas, because there's something about humid heat that makes life forms of many kinds go absolutely nucking futs. Do you know why Florida's subtropical climate causes more instances of melanoma and premature aging? Because the forces of evolution didn't design pasty white Anglo-Saxons to cope with it.

Nature gave me a hint and I took it. Back up north I went.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
I bought a beautiful historic farmhouse in the Blue Ridge Mountains in 2005 as a vacation home. I put my heart and soul into restoring it and I went back to my waterfront home in So Fl the 1st 2 winters. I YEARNED to be back at my farm. I've made the GREATEST friends, I own 2 horses and I lost my loving feeling for fl. Nothing makes me happier than driving down my gravel road and seeing my farmhouse, my 2 horses and my beautiful white fencing!!!! LOL! I rented my Fl house to a wonderful tenant and I am IN LOVE w/ Country Living! Coming from NYC in 1985 I thought Fl was the country...I have never been happier! I LOVE living in a very small town and I even LOVE the winter!!!!! Funny how life can take you to places you never imagined you would experience! BTW....LOL...my friends ALL thought I was CRAZY...they said..LOL...you are not a farm girl...they thought I would last 2 weeks!!!! Different strokes for different folks! As far as reading the Fl message board, I read all the message boards. I find it fascinating to learn about how people live EVERYWHERE! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I grew up in Palm Beach County, first in Lake Worth then my family moved to Wellington. I went to college in Sarasota, worked for about 8 months in Orlando, then moved to Chicago for a year and a half, then moved to San Francisco where I lived for 6 years before moving recently across the Bay to Oakland. The NICE part of Oakland, don't go getting any ideas.

The main reason I left Florida was that the economy just does not work at all for young people who are just out of college. It's hard to get a job of any kind, especially somewhere like Palm Beach County where the economy is centered around tourists and retirees. There's just retail jobs and some tourism jobs and the usual stuff like government workers, but none of the jobs really pay well. Anyone with money in PBC made it somewhere else and now that they've moved to PBC they don't want to spend a lot (other than on their homes) so you don't really get a vibrant economy like you'd see in a major urban area. And there's just not that much to do if you're under the age of 50. Going to the beach and sitting around on the porch reading are ok now and then, but every single day? Eh... I kind of miss some stuff about Florida that you don't get in Northern California, like being able to wear shorts and flip-flops every day, and having abundant opportunities to go swimming, and good Atlantic fish. But I don't miss the constantly hot weather or the endless suburban sprawl.

I get annoyed with the Bay Area sometimes, it can too cold there for my liking (like right now) although at least it doesn't get hot all the time. People can be flaky and it's hard to make friends or hang out with people because either they have long commutes that exhaust them, or they work too much, or they are just flaky and want to act like they have more important things to do than hang out with you. But there is always a lot to do compared with PBC, and there are way more jobs and incomes for young people are way better. Right now I think I'd like to move to NYC for a while but I'm putting that on hold until the economy there looks better since I'd have to basically move across the US and look for a job...I did this in Chicago and SF and it worked out ok but the economy wasn't as bad as it is now.
South Florida and Florida in general is not a great place for careers outside of the service industry, tourism and medical. What high tech work was here is pretty much gone, what exists is pockets of small spin offs and some leftovers. The Bay Area is driven on high tech as it's backbone and never lost much grip on it like when things here could have been but never were. IBM in Boca, gone...RCA in PBG gone..Pratt & Whitney once employed thousands, now is just a small player in PB County and so on.

PB County is becoming more medical oriented with the aging population it's good business. Biotech is in it's infancy and will take years to pay off and that is a big 'IF".

I live in Wellington and the county just approved expansion of the leftover land near Wellington Regional for more medical offices. This is good news if your in the medical field but for those that are not it's time to realize what was here at one time is not coming back. Change careers or move, that's the only option. Kinda hard to change careers once you invested the time and money going to College for something then finding out you cannot get work in your field here. It's going to happen, I know people that have kids in college currently studying fields that are pretty much non-existent here. They will either be working at the mall and living with their parents for years or planning a move to someplace where they can get a job/career.

Your right about the people who live here, on average most made their money elsewhere and moved here and do not work. They can be 30 somethings and up though, so do not think all retirees are grey haired. From my perspective they do indeed spend their money by seeing the cars they drive, not run of the mill average vehicles most are $50K+ range.

If you don't like the Bay Area weather and the cold foggy climate, how will you like Manhattan? You do know it get's very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter there I hope? Aside from the jobs, the cost of living here is now more affordable with the housing costs dropping and still going lower. Bay Area is still extremely expensive, rents are very high compared to here. Figure in the high taxes and cost of living in CA, it's a bargain living here if you can make above average wages. That is based on luck and the field of expertise.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:56 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
If the economy is so bad in Florida, how can those certain stores in the Mall on Glades Road in Boca charge those prices~? I was like in shock when I saw four digit prices on clothing~! We don't have anything like that here. I joked with the sales lady there and she told me that the lesser priced is across the other side. Those prices were in three digits~!
It's called income disparity.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:03 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Why? I will tell you why, there are people here that have lot's of money. Not all have a house on Palm Beach or Jupiter Island, there is a lot of wealth here of varying amounts. I see it all over, living in Wellington I see people that come here from elsewhere for the Equine season and the events, young people not retirees. They don't work, how could you work a normal job and take off 5-6 months to ride horses? See plenty driving Range Rovers like it's nothing.

I work in Palm Beach Gardens, on my lunch break I will sometimes go to Downtown at the Gardens or the Gardens Mall. Just walk into Whole Foods mid-day and see the clientele or walk through Nordstrom or Saks. You will see a plethora of woman of varying ages and plenty of men too, wearing designer clothing, i.e. True Religion jeans, Louis Vuitton handbags and Jimmy Choo shoes. Go out in the parking lot and look at the cars. Someone who drives a $150K+ Bentley has no problems buying $300 jeans, that's pocket change.

I use to work down in Delray and went to Boca often, experienced there as well. My then Boss and his wife were 28, bought a million dollar house and had it gutted and remodeled to their taste, she would shop at the Boca Town Center regularly and call him during meetings and/or send him pictures of clothes or shoes she found at Saks to get his approval on the style ....yada yada yada..

South Florida is a playground for the rich, wealthy and famous. Thank Flagler for that, it's been that way for a long time. Though it's become more prevalent then it was 10-20 years ago here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach