Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times

Advertisements

Comparing PBC to Broward and Dade, there's still a ton of room in PBC to build further West--just look at a map and see how far the sprawl in Broward and Dade spread compared to PBC--and compare PBC to Martin which has a lot less growth westward. As for further growth, the question is how much demand there will be. The housing bust really hit PBC hard, there's abandoned subdivisions all over the place where they cleared the land and built a show home then everything fell through and the land is just sitting there. It will probably be a while before there's a lot more development. In any case I go back to Wellington to see my folks about every couple years and each time I've been back in the last 10 years there's a huge new area built up that used to be undeveloped--new subdivisions or new big box stores, etc. I imagine that will stop for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM

27 posts, read 56,310 times
I sort of just discovered Wellington, and it does sound like a place to definitely check out. But yes, I agree that FL is like other states...good areas, not so good areas. I'm currently from MD, & agree that that statement. I'm def keeping Wellington towards the top of my list of places to move to.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM

445 posts, read 1,810,756 times
Us too, my husband is exploring the area today, looking into a few neighborhoods, so we will see how it goes. will let ya know...

Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM

74 posts, read 343,600 times
Let us know how it goes....we are curious!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 PM

well, he made it to Isles of Wellington, Versailles and then one accross the street from Isles (I don't know the name)

He liked Isles of Wellington, he said there were definately A LOT of repos in Versailles, but that the houses that were kept up were really nice.

He said Panther Run looked like an older school..anyone know how long it has been there?

Pretty much he did not get up there til 5:30, so he did not get alot of time, he said most neighborhoods are gated, so getting in is tough.

Said it was busy, there were alot of people out at 6:40...

So he will make time again between thursday and Friday to get back up and look around.

We at this point have not had a chance to talk much about anything, so we will later tonight, and go from there. I think I am uneasy, and I wasn't even the one there....lol....We are pretty much living in small town white america, a place that really does not exist anymore, but is not a oplace that we came from either...It is very slow here, people are nice but it is little as well. I think adjusting back to the "bustle" again, might be harder than he thinks..

But overall said it looked nice... i'll keep ya posted....

Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,660 times
Grand Isles is across from Isles of Wellington.
What I did for my kids, and alot of parents I know did, was send them to Binks Forest which was the only school in Wellington with a full time gifted program at the time, if you don't like Panther Run.
It takes a while to get out of Wellington, the traffic is kinda iffy.
and yeah, it's definitely not ghetto.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
There are no neighborhoods off of Lake Worth Road west of SR7/441 that are not gated, if you prefer to save some money on HOA fees you may want to check out Sugarpond, these are older homes but most are on nice lots and they have more character and not so cookie cutter. HOA fees and dealing with the HOA get's to be a drag trust me.

I would also suggest these developments all are newer:

Village Walk which was built by Divosta and got built out around 5-6 years ago or so, so it relatively new. Located off of Lyons Road and Forest Hill, next to Olympia. Around 1000 homes in there and like Olympia is adjacent and/or near Equestrian Trails Elementary School , Emerald Cove Middle School and Palm Beach Central HS.

Wellington View which is a newer community off of Sansbury/Lyons Road between Forest Hill and Southern, they also just built a new school nearby,I think it's Pioneer someting? Nice homes and nice quiet location.

Forget Buena Vida, it's active adult.

Olympia, no comment can't say I like it, I knew someone that lived in there and and I visited a few times, was congested and I noticed a lot of people living in one house, like there was 4 or 5 cars in some of the driveways. There are parts of it that have more $ houses, McMansions that were nicer but I don't know about it?

Black Diamond off of SR7/441 north of Forest Hill, never been in there but I heard foreclosures are high.

Deeper in the heart of Welly World I would also look at Binks Forest, Barrington Woods and etc.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks to you both..

I will look into the neighborhoods. He did see what you mentioned about 4-5 cars in the drive, i think it was the Grand Isles.

The HOA is not a huge deal, do I wanna pay $500 a motnh, not so much, considering rent in the houses we looked at was $3000 to $3500. Obviousley the homeowner pays that HOA, and that could also be why the rent is higher.

Panther Run looks like a REALLY nice school, I called them and the lady that answered was super helpful, answered all of my questions, so I don't think I have too much a concern in that area. However if anyone has info on the MS & HS, i would like to hear it...have "heard" that Polo Park MS & Palm Beach HS are not the favored, anyone got the scoop??

My husband said, like you about the congestion...I stay home so i do most my running during the week, and i know that makes a big difference...atleast in CA and here it does...

I guess now, tomorrow he will be going back to get a better feel, maybe go to a grocery store, grab lunch, check out the schools, just to get an idea of who is living there and see if it is for us.

I would also be looking for a realtor that does rentals, someone who is VERY knowledgable in Wellington, and HONEST, not just trying to make a sale, which we aren't buying right of way anyways...

My last thought would be IF Wellington is not our fit, what about Jupiter? I saw a few 10 rated schools (not as many as Wellington though) and price wise, when we did decide to buy, we would not be able to live in a house that we are used to, because seem at a higher price point...I saw 2700 sq ft for $420k....that seemed high. Also have heard they are pretty close together, and i don't want to hear my neighbors toilet flush...

Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,840,078 times
One thing that I have noticed about the neighborhoods in Forida is that the homes all seem closer together until you get to the real high prices. A half million dollar house is still built on a smaller lot and close to street. It took me a while to get use to it when we visit our daughter. Every area of the country is a little different and requires adjustments. I remember when we moved to Wisconsin I was shocked to see million dollar homes with vinyl siding. That would never have flown in Atlanta. Hey, differences are what make the world go round!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan;
My last thought would be IF Wellington is not our fit, what about Jupiter? I saw a few 10 rated schools (not as many as Wellington though) and price wise, when we did decide to buy, we would not be able to live in a house that we are used to, because seem at a higher price point...I saw 2700 sq ft for $420k....that seemed high. Also have heard they are pretty close together, and i don't want to hear my neighbors toilet flush...
Jupiter prices are (in general) higher per square foot because it's closer to the ocean. But, not every home is in a 0 lot line development, and some neighborhoods will get you more house than others. Prices have also not fallen in Jupiter to the extent they have in other parts of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach